Royal Purple 20w50 or Rotella T5 15w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you were to go with a 20/50 diesel hands down I would choose Amsoil over RP anyday.

15/40 opens up your world to Rotella, Delvac, Delo, heck, even supertech.
Ugh ... I see I posted here a few times already but BITOG wont let me delete it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Im not into the CI vs CJ thing but I have noticed, the 20/50 C oils seem to be CI4 rather then CJ4.

Perhaps if nothing is calling for a CJ-4 20w-50, there would be no reason to make such an oil. Heck, plenty of 20w-50 oils don't even claim a long obsolete C spec, like they used to.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Kind of strange you can buy S rated oils in all flavors, but not C.

Well, it's not surprising given what CJ-4 actually calls for. You need an oil with a minimum HTHS of 3.5, so anything that has an ILSAC rating is already disqualified, and that's not even getting into additive levels.

Thanks for the explanation.

Pet-Can Duron Classic 15w40 and 20w50 are new last year with the additive package aimed at old muscle cars. I wonder if they have sold the first bottle of it yet?
Me? I'm more likely to use XW20 in a Diesel pick up which makes me a thinnie I guess. 0W30 now in a 2013 Duramax, the thinner I go, the better it runs? Maybe I better back up my horse play with a uoa. Don't nobody tell Mary, the beast is still under warranty.

I am with alarmguy. Not many viscosity chooses in c rated oil. Mobile dino pcmo was Cf rated for your after the reason, upto they rolled out Mobil super.
I ran there 5w20/30 for two years in vw 1.6idi na/tc. If I could still get it I would still run it.

Harvey

Originally Posted By: JR
I am with alarmguy. Not many viscosity chooses in c rated oil.

Exactly. When the C specs became explicit about having an HTHS of 3.5 and higher and ILSAC lubes became commonplace for gassers, well, things diverged.

To all that have replied to this thread. Thanks you for the input. I have looked high and low for Shell Rotella T-5 Synthetic Blend. I was preparing for a trip in my new 2016 Ram Laramie.(I wanted a couple of Qt's of Oil to have if needed) Not one local parts house, or for that matter Wal-Mart carry the T-5 in Quarts. I even went into a Shell Gas Station.

They did carry it in Gals.

T-5 & T-6 are readily available in truckstops across the country and it's at walmart
I am currently trialing T-6 in my sons jeep and doing well I thrashed it 1600 miles in 3 day on a sales trip to MN & Wi
Oil Pressure was rock steady and not a lot of blowby like we used to get on the dyno oil

T-6 is going in my bike this week and I run it in the semi I drive part time for a local trucking company year round , GREAT OIL
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back