Help with synthetic FC-W Marine 10w-30 options

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
The FC-W standards are nothing incredible. FC-W certainly does not outline anything beyond the capabilities of a good HDEO. HDEO oils are designed for temps and corrosion resistance beyond what a gas outboard will likely ever see.

Incorrect, CJ-4 requirement is just a copper corrosion test ASTM D6594. For FC-W/FC-W CC approval you have to pass an NMMA specific test that only Intertek and SWRI perform that deals with saltwater corrosion.

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
Originally Posted By: CT8
Yamalube !! Pricy but then you spent big $$$$$$$$ on the awesome engine ?

Yamalube is nothing special. There are better oils that cost less money available.
I never said it was special.

Originally Posted By: Badroberts

Incorrect, CJ-4 requirement is just a copper corrosion test ASTM D6594. For FC-W/FC-W CC approval you have to pass an NMMA specific test that only Intertek and SWRI perform that deals with saltwater corrosion.

Your response is what is incorrect, because it addresses a statement and an assupmtion I never made. I said that the standards for FC-W are certainly not beyond the capabilities of a good HDEO. Look on the back of those bottles, see the other manufacturer certifications those oils meet, and see if meeting those standards comes down to a copper corrosion test. Whether they say CJ-4 or Willy Wonka, they are more than up to the task of marine engine use.

Of all of the marine engines I've pulled apart, I've never seen components in the oil flow suffering from open air electrolysis, and I've never seen an engine ingesting salt water survive. Choosing an engine oil to fight salt water corrosion inside of an engine is like putting on a rain slicker in case of nuclear meltdown. Regardless, corrosion is a major factor in HDEO manufacturer certifications, and the type they are preventing is worse than open air electrolysis from salt water environments.

That's why you're not going to find FC-W oils in the engines of most experienced boaters, and certainly not most marine mechanics, and why many manufacturers either don't even specify FC-W oils, or offer HDEO as an alternative where FC-W oils cannot be found.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back