Russian plane down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Turkey is the only country really in a position to give Russia a little wakeup call. They are well armed, and backed up by NATO, and far enough from Russia that Putin can't afford waste resources to escalate over something relatively minor.

That said, the whole area and politics is a quagmire. Kurds in turkey, kurds in Syria, turks in Syria, kurds in Iraq... Sunni and Shia muslims in every country...

The Kurds are fighting against ISIS not with. This is pretty common knowledge. Primarily it is the YPG and Turkey is bombing them, so in effect Turkey is aiding ISIS in that respect. Check facebook for The Lions of Rojava, this is the YPG's page. YPG is borne of the Kurds with whom Turkey has been in border disputes for a long time and that is why Turkey goes after them, but in doing so they are attacking one of the more effective ground fighting forces who are opposing ISIS.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
The Kurds are fighting against ISIS not with. This is pretty common knowledge.

I didn't mean kurdish groups are not fighting against ISIS. But there is a group of Kurds supports ISIS, in Iraq and Syria. Like the other ethnic groups.

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
it's a geopolitical mess for sure.

is there any truth to this:

"He(Putin) said oil from jihadist-controlled territory was exported through Turkey while funding was sent the other way, and warned: "The tragic event will have serious consequences for Russian-Turkish relations."

from a yahoo news article i just read.
http://news.yahoo.com/downing-russia-jet-stab-back-putin-130913449.html

So they claim Turkey funds ISIS, but they are bombing rebel groups (supported by US-EU countries) fighting ISIS at the same time. Nice paradox!

Maybe he watches Vice news too much, eh?

i thought the russians were bombing IS(formerly al quaeda), not the kurds.

from the article linked in first post

"They(russian su24's) were carrying out an operation against [Islamic State militants] in the mountains of northern Latakia, where militants who originate from Russian territory are concentrated. So they were carrying the key task of preventative attacks against those who could return to Russia at any time."

Last edited:
ISIS is 100+ miles away from that region.

2000px-syria15.png

i may be wrong, as i am not familiar with the region geography, but the there are a few black dots that represent the IS that appear to be right on the border of Syria and Turkey.

it also makes sense to me that the russian su24's would head towards Latakia after having taken fire, as that is where russia has them based out of.

dgunay, thanks for the map, that has really helped me understand the geography of the area and shed some light on all the factions in that region.

Last edited:
Now that's more clear

6r0z5t.png

Here's the flight path of the Russki jet again. They came directly from the Latakia air base

haber%2F2015%2F11%2Fiz_analizi.jpg

The thing is that, a least I thought, that Russia and NATO were on the same side in opposition to ISIS? If that is the case then why is there even a problem about airspace?

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
The thing is that, a least I thought, that Russia and NATO were on the same side in opposition to ISIS? If that is the case then why is there even a problem about airspace?

Russia's priority (+Iran) is saving the Assad regime.

I bet as usual most of what we are being fed is propaganda. The media is herding the sheep.

The Turks barely even qualify as a good NATO member. As so called allies, they have done very little during all of the middle east problems. They've rebuffed us more than once. And now....they shoot down a Russian aircraft AND if Turkey is attacked by Russia in any way, we are pledged to support them militarily?
No way.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
The Turks barely even qualify as a good NATO member. As so called allies, they have done very little during all of the middle east problems. They've rebuffed us more than once. And now....they shoot down a Russian aircraft AND if Turkey is attacked by Russia in any way, we are pledged to support them militarily?
No way.
Turkey is probably in NATO just to torment Russia.

So you are saying the Russians are NOT bombing the Kurds?

It's possible that I'm wrong. There are so many players it's hard to tell who is who and whose bombing who.

I do know the Turks and the Kurds don't get along.

I was under the impression that Russia was bombing as many if not more rebel holdings as it was bombing ISIS.

Originally Posted By: dgunay
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Originally Posted By: javacontour
The same Russians that annexed the Crimea and armed those who shot down MH370?

The same Russians bombing Kurds and Turkmen fighting ISIS?

Somehow, I don't really feel for them.

Turkmen = Al Qaeda....

The Turks are bombing the Kurds aswell.

Bombing the Kurds? You sir, should really get educated.

Turks are bombing PKK, which is a terror organization recognized by the United States and European Union countries.

What does PKK do?

+18 graphic image
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B0zc7XnIAAAXjk6.jpg

They have been killing unarmed Turkish soldiers in front of their families.

This pic was taken in Southeastern Turkey.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
So you are saying the Russians are NOT bombing the Kurds?

It's possible that I'm wrong. There are so many players it's hard to tell who is who and whose bombing who.

I do know the Turks and the Kurds don't get along.

I was under the impression that Russia was bombing as many if not more rebel holdings as it was bombing ISIS.

Russians are bombing the green area in the map, shown above.

Green area : FSA - or Free Syrian Army a.k.a. "rebels", which is also militarily/financially supported by the United States.

Are Russians bombing ISIS (black area shown above)? Yes, but way less than the green area.

Turks and Kurds get along well in Turkey. In Istanbul, there are 4 million Kurds living with Turks. Istanbul is the city with the largest Kurdish population in the world - it's a Turkish city (15 million people lives). They have a political party which is even supported by "leftist" Turks.

The problem is not the Kurdish people, but Kurdish terror groups in the region. Even Kurdish Northern Iraq Regional Government have problems with them. They don't like each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back