Struggling with 2003 Camry last night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Yep, Tegger, you missed the attempt to communicate in clear, concise English.

His lack of grammar, spelling, punctuation, capitalization and organization make that a Fail, too...

Maybe English is not his first language, just saying.

Originally Posted By: artbuc

Go back and re-read the very first post on this thread.
English isn't the issue.

Remember that he came here from a forum that specializes in his car, and he didn't take any of their advice after who knows how much time.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

Go back and re-read the very first post on this thread.
English isn't the issue.

Remember that he came here from a forum that specializes in his car, and he didn't take any of their advice after who knows how much time.

BC.

Yep. I took (wasted) the time to completely read this thread and conclude OP is a either troll and/or not capable of fixing his car.

He insists he not trolling. Only other thing that I can guess is that he has ADHD or whatever that is called.

I usually don't disparage anybody's mechanical skills as I have almost zero skills there but I know my own limitations in that department. Somebody who has at least some idea about his own skills or lack thereof usually does NOT pickup a six hour job to learn.

Is this a good water pump? It looks like they sell aisin pumps for only 60 dollars on amazon. What is the aisin part number so I can get the exact one?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ETS...YKSLG6UWD2CX5RI

This was mentioned in this DIY video. Speaking of the video, it mentions I have to take my alternator out. Do I have to? And I remove the battery terminals so I don't get shocked when doing the alternator, the battery isn't in the way of anything, but must I remove the alternator, or is it just to give me way more room, or the mounts he mentioned?

https://youtu.be/-Dg4Vk1bOKg

Also, I was tempted into buying a corolla. It was "used" and it was only 14k, but the guy sold it for 13,500 dollars on a 2014 toyota corolla with 3800 miles. It was from a foreign college student going back to his country after graduation. He had to sell it in a hurry. I passed on that, and you have to pay it up front (I had 10k ready to pay, that other 4k, but really 3k after negotiation I could get but would be harder) but I could've gotten a corolla, essentially new (probably with just 1 oil change done, so you know there'd be nothing neglected as at that mileage, there's little to be done other than an oil change, so it's new, except way cheaper than a new corolla and that was a good deal) but I wanted to keep my camry longer and put that 10k into saving for retirement and investing.

http://www.amazon.com/Aisin-WPT-801-Engine-Water-Pump/dp/B00829I3LO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_263_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=31yQx8XlpRL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=12N1X302DK126X4XVWEW

The aisin pump is here, it says it doesn't use a gasket? The parts store pumps that I looked at all had the gasket, so eht oem one doesn't have a gasket? if it doesn't, I use rtv or something? Could you elaborate on it? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: engineer20
http://www.amazon.com/Aisin-WPT-801-Engine-Water-Pump/dp/B00829I3LO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_263_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=31yQx8XlpRL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=12N1X302DK126X4XVWEW

The aisin pump is here, it says it doesn't use a gasket? The parts store pumps that I looked at all had the gasket, so eht oem one doesn't have a gasket? if it doesn't, I use rtv or something? Could you elaborate on it? Thanks.

You were given correct info. The WP does not use a gasket. You need to get plumbers putty which is readily available at any hardware store and it is very inexpensive.

Is this a good water pump? It looks like they sell aisin pumps for only 60 dollars on amazon. What is the aisin part number so I can get the exact one?

This was mentioned in this DIY video. Speaking of the video, it mentions I have to take my alternator out. Do I have to? And I remove the battery terminals so I don't get shocked when doing the alternator, the battery isn't in the way of anything, but must I remove the alternator, or is it just to give me way more room, or the mounts he mentioned?

Also, I was tempted into buying a corolla. It was "used" and it was only 14k, but the guy sold it for 13,500 dollars on a 2014 toyota corolla with 3800 miles. It was from a foreign college student going back to his country after graduation. He had to sell it in a hurry. I passed on that, and you have to pay it up front (I had 10k ready to pay, that other 4k, but really 3k after negotiation I could get but would be harder) but I could've gotten a corolla, essentially new (probably with just 1 oil change done, so you know there'd be nothing neglected as at that mileage, there's little to be done other than an oil change, so it's new, except way cheaper than a new corolla and that was a good deal) but I wanted to keep my camry longer and put that 10k into saving for retirement and investing.

The only thing you have to remove are the muffler bearings. You can do this yourself if you have an acetylene torch. If not, take it to a muffler shop such as Midas. They will do it fast and charge only $5-10.

Last edited:
@vikas, i have a house and a garage, thank goodness, and that's why i don't want any further car payments, because i saved up early to get the house, but as you might be able to tell, i'm still a young fellow (probably could tell by still having student loans) and i still have plenty of time to learn stuff, but yes, i have a house, not an apartment, so that gives me much more space to fix my car, can you imagine fixing a car in an apartment parking lot without a garage? must be hard!

It is, especially in Edinburgh. Not so bad here, if you can keep out of the sun.

Poverty sucks, and riches are wasted on the rich. How many garage owners make use of them for DIY? I'd guess much less than 10 percent in The Yook, though I suppose more in the US

The only thing you have to remove are the muffler bearings. You can do this yourself if you have an acetylene torch. If not, take it to a muffler shop such as Midas. They will do it fast and charge only $5-10.

And don't forget about the Knibbler pin. If you take it out, whatever you do, don't drop it. They are a biatch to calibrate.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
And don't forget about the Knibbler pin. If you take it out, whatever you do, don't drop it. They are a biatch to calibrate.

It's easy to get it backwards, too. The thing looks similar at both ends.

Originally Posted By: philipp10

philipp -- have you been drinking? you can't forget the knibbler pin, since you have to remove it to access the muffler bearings.as well, the '03 models do not need calibration.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
The guy is a troll. He used another username here to post a similar thread where he was having "mechanical issues".
Are you sure? What was his previous username here?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
The guy is a troll. He used another username here to post a similar thread where he was having "mechanical issues".
Are you sure? What was his previous username here?

I've also just come to the conclusion that he's a troll. Someone sitting at a computer typing this stuff and laughing all the time. I didn't think that at first but I do now.

Ok, jokes aside, I need serious help. I'm not trolling, you guys are, with the "exhaust" and "knibbler" and "blinker fluid"
LOL what? blinker fluid, hahaha, that's real funny. not.
but seriously, was that a good brand and is buying an aisin pump from amazon a good idea?

I googled "blinker fluid" just to verify it doesn't exist, I thought so, it was a joke, but I ran into this. This was pretty funny, but, seriously, is RTV on the aisin better than using a gasket, and can I buy the gasket seperately? I see the auto parts store water pumps come with a gasket, but is the gasket ever sold seperately? I heard don't use the gasket with the RTV, choose one or the other but the aisin oem one doesn't use a gasket but rather rtv, but you could use a gasket on it if you wanted, i heard, or is that not right, or else it won't fit? thanks

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/fY3CJQ/

But check this out, this was hilarious.

Ok, jokes aside, I need serious help. I'm not trolling, you guys are, with the "exhaust" and "knibbler" and "blinker fluid"
LOL what? blinker fluid, hahaha, that's real funny. not.
but seriously, was that a good brand and is buying an aisin pump from amazon a good idea?

No, get a pump from the dealer or an online toyota parts retailer. The factory pump has been updated multiple times so it's quite likely that the Aisin aftermarket part is not the latest version.

Toyotapartsdeals has the factory pump for about $110.

Also, this Toyota tech put together a really good DIY on how to do the pump. It certainly is not an easy job for a beginner:

http://youtu.be/6OrSD2neBbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back