Ethanol Madate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of the numbers don't pass the basic sniff test.

How can ethanol reduce carbon emissions by 21%? E10 is by far the most common blend, and it's only 10% ethanol.

Natural gas is by far the most common heat source to distill the alcohol. That use often isn't counted against the carbon emissions of ethanol. But if that natural gas wasn't used for distillation, it would be used to substitute for other carbon-intensive fuels such as coal.

Just to let you know, I am not endorsing or condemning the article. I just thought it was an interesting read. Nearly every writing that includes statistics is open to some level of bias. I find it interesting that the debate at the federal level is far from over.

Good thing at the farm we have a tank of ethanol free gasoline. Does that mean I'm doing my share?
smile.gif

Farmer, I would say so! But, it does seem odd for a farmer to be eschewing fuel containing an ingredient derived from a farm product.

That's supposed to be funny, by the way.

If these mandates work or not is of no concern to groups like the EPA. They are in the business of politics, control and punishment. The economy and the working people are just collateral damage.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Farmer, I would say so! But, it does seem odd for a farmer to be eschewing fuel containing an ingredient derived from a farm product.

The ethanol mandate isn't a big lobbying concern in Canada. We produce little corn, and most of our ethanol is from feed grade grain. Given the amount of grain we produce per capita and how small our population is in total, the grain demand created by ethanol production is inconsequential, and besides, farmers want to be selling #1 Wheat and Malt Grade Barley, not feed grade cast offs.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster

That's supposed to be funny, by the way.

I find it funny but at the farm we don't produce corn. Mostly leafy greens.

Well if the Sierra Club and the other greenies are against a ethanol mandate, while I would probably just sit on the fence over the issue, I support it because it has the greenies all ticked off. Shakespeare said it well in Hamlet: ..doth Protest Too Much, Me Thinks. The greenies always seem to act like the sky is falling to the point where they are a joke. And it makes some of us actually take opposite positions out of spite. The greenie uproar also makes it hard on those who have legitimate concerns to the point where it is gets lost in the clutter.

So, me and my flex fuel pickup will just sit to the side, watch all the fear tactics, diatribes, and misinformation being thrown around. I will use what gives me the best value. Ethanol or not. I could give a rip either way. I don't have a deep seated rampant paranoia of ethanol, nor do I have some sort of love affair with it. I know what I get, in terms of mpg, out of E0, E10, E15, E20, E30, E85. I watch the pricing at the pump, I figure the cost per mile, and I fill up with what gives me the lowest cost per mile. Right now, that is E15 in my area.

Originally Posted By: djb
Some of the numbers don't pass the basic sniff test.

How can ethanol reduce carbon emissions by 21%? E10 is by far the most common blend, and it's only 10% ethanol.

It's supposedly that gallon of ethanol is supposed to save 20% of the greenhouse emissions.

10% of a gallon of E10 is 2% (roughly)...not enough to even make one feel good....but like CAFE, small increments yield large benefits (in quantum, if not ratio).

But the 20% is seriously in question, and if extrapolated to genuine "zero nett emissions" is clearly, and ludicrously impossible to achieve.

Why CAFE gives a flex fuel vehicle zero mileage/emissions on the ethanol fueled component in light of the known fact is farcical.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Well if the Sierra Club and the other greenies are against a ethanol mandate, while I would probably just sit on the fence over the issue, I support it because it has the greenies all ticked off. Shakespeare said it well in Hamlet: ..doth Protest Too Much, Me Thinks. The greenies always seem to act like the sky is falling to the point where they are a joke. And it makes some of us actually take opposite positions out of spite. The greenie uproar also makes it hard on those who have legitimate concerns to the point where it is gets lost in the clutter.

So, me and my flex fuel pickup will just sit to the side, watch all the fear tactics, diatribes, and misinformation being thrown around. I will use what gives me the best value. Ethanol or not. I could give a rip either way. I don't have a deep seated rampant paranoia of ethanol, nor do I have some sort of love affair with it. I know what I get, in terms of mpg, out of E0, E10, E15, E20, E30, E85. I watch the pricing at the pump, I figure the cost per mile, and I fill up with what gives me the lowest cost per mile. Right now, that is E15 in my area.

TT, again, What's your personal profit per mile carrying the corn and byproducts around the place ?

Follow the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back