Which of these drills for home use ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the Bosch comes with 2 batteries, that's a + to that one. Never heard of or owned a Makita but it does have good ratings. If it were me I'd get the Bosch.

They aren't the same. Do you need the hammer drill function of the Makita?

The Makita battery is 3ah vs the 1.5 on the Bosch.

I'm still running a 30 year old Makita cordless so am a bit partial.

For what it is worth, I have that Bosch drill and like it but the Makita is also a hammer drill also so you may want to take that into consideration.

There is quite a difference and it all depends on what you'll use it for, how you take care of your tools, etc. IOW, more info needed!

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Thanks so far:
assuming I will never use hammer function, which one is better?

I'd probably go with whichever one is lighter, to reduce hand fatigue if you'll be using it for a while.

Makita comes with a 3-year-warranty, which is something to consider as well. Only 1-year on Bosch.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
There is quite a difference and it all depends on what you'll use it for, how you take care of your tools, etc. IOW, more info needed!

use: normal (not heavy) household work: soft wall drilling, and screw-driving for small projects.
(wood and walls, but concrete unlikely)

How I take care of my tools? pretty well, I think. I take great care to keep them maintained - whatever I use, in general, but I don't own complex tools.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Did you forget to look at Harbor Freight?

Do you have a specific model/brand recommendation at same price range?
Thanks!

Originally Posted By: sleddriver

use: normal (not heavy) household work: soft wall drilling, and screw-driving for small projects.
(wood and walls, but concrete unlikely)

Then neither.

Do yourself a favor and look at the Milwaukee M12 line. 12V but more than enough power for household tasks. I've got an M18 Fuel drill but for most household tasks I grab the M12 first. I've even used the M12 Hammer Drill for doing concrete work (Tapcons) and it was fine.

And I'd also give a serious look at the Milwaukee M18 series as well. Great batteries and lots of add on tools.

One bonus with Milwaukee is a 5 year warranty and you should see decent sales this weekend at Home Depot.

Something like this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18...-21CT/205818761

If the budget can be stretched this is good too:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12...94-22/203111686

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Did you forget to look at Harbor Freight?

Do you have a specific model/brand recommendation at same price range?
Thanks!

No, they have lots of different drills and you can get a warranty that they actually stand behind at the store level.

You could consider a drill with a battery eliminator. It's an electric cord that plugs into an electrical outlet.

How about the Ryobi drill that Home Depot will have on Black Friday? It's supposed to be $49 and comes with a battery and charger. I've gotten a few of them and have a small collection of items that use their battery. It's fine for household/occasional use, if you were a pro and used them everyday, then maybe not so great, but a few times a year, I haven't really worn them out. A few projects here and there. It's somewhat handy with them being so cheap and having a couple around. You can have a drill bit in one drill and a screwdriver bit in the other to drill pilot holes and then put a screw in afterwards.

Milwaukee M18 fuel.

IMHO - some thought needs to go into buying your cordless tools at the start. If you buy the first one with a battery (or two) then you can buy less expensive bare tools that fit the same battery. The last thing you want is a workshop full of cordless tools all with different batteries and chargers.

I was on Dewalt 18V XPR. But am migrating to Milwaukee M18/M18 fuel. The "fuel" versions are brushless. The high end tools are going brushless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back