2011 Buick Regal: which filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that my CPO oil changes are used up, I'm buying my own oil and filter to take to my regular mechanic. (No place to do my own changes these days.) The car in question is my 2011 Buick Regal 2.4L non-turbo, just over 60K miles. I drive only about 900 miles a month, about 70% city, so 5-6 months/4500-5400 miles is what I plan for. This is consistent with the OLM, which drops 1% for each 60 miles no matter how I drive; 6000 miles would be the outside limit anyway.

Oil: going to try QSUD 5W-30 dexos 1 from Walmart.

So with this fairly light duty OCI, what filter should I pick up? From what I've read here, the Fram Ultra is highly regarded, but would probably be overkill for my application. Suggestions?

That car uses a insert oil filter, so I would go with the cheapest one you can find. You don't need to worry about drain back valves, end caps, can thickness, etc... that screw on filters could have issues with.

If you plan to keep the car a while go to rockauto and order the filters from there. They have plenty for your car for less then $2 in the closeout sale. They even have a Hastings air filter and a FVP cabin filter on closeout that should ship from the same warehouse as the oil filters.

No such thing as overkill. If the difference was $5 for a good enough filter and $25 for an Ultra, then sure. But if good enough is $5 and an Ultra is only $9, then Ultra wins every time. You can even use it for two OCIs with your usage.

EDIT: Ah, cartridge filter. In that case, what he said ^.

I have that Ecotec design in my car and I wouldnt be concerned about which filter to use. I use the Fram Ultra because that is the only filter that has stopped my startup rattle. If my car wasnt picky I would use the acdelco or any other brand really.

You can get ACDelco, Wix or just about anything you'd want at RockAuto for $5 or less. I'd use either ACDelco or Wix.

Use the discount code posted here to get another 5% off.

Order 5 of them and not worry for a couple of years.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
No such thing as overkill. If the difference was $5 for a good enough filter and $25 for an Ultra, then sure. But if good enough is $5 and an Ultra is only $9, then Ultra wins every time. You can even use it for two OCIs with your usage.

EDIT: Ah, cartridge filter. In that case, what he said ^.
+ 1 Filters are expensive, engines are cheap, right.

I always used the AC Delco in my Regal, it is made by Hengst, the same company that makes the enclosure it goes into.

My recommendations:
Hengst E630H
Mann HU 6007x (NOT the ML1015)
Wix 57082 (Napa 7082)
Fram Ultra XG9018 (or the jobber version FPS9018)

Unfortunately, the Mahle for this application is made in India, so it should be avoided.

Better filters are not just more expensive they're better. Not a waste to change it sooner. Waste is buying too many on closeout and finding they are too old to use, like I probably did. I don't get the concern over $3 on an oil filter change once or twice a year. I just paid $6 for doggy bags at target, a few small rolls of cheap plastic bags made in China. What is $6 vs $9 for an oil filter that is part of a $25,000 piece of machinery? Don't get the thinking at all. I would use the highest grade filters on that relatively new car.

I went to the ACDelco website, and all the oil filters for your car look like high quality, and they are packed full of pleats, so that's what I would use.

The filter for your car is available with three part numbers from ACDelco with filter only, filter with cap seal, and cap, cap seal, and filter, so you have three choices. There is a fourth choice ending in letter F, but that just means fleet pack.

I will probably order something like the Hengst or the AC Delco next week, as I don't anticipate changing oil before late Dec. or early Jan. Though I wish I'd bought a turbo model for the extra power, I really enjoy this Buick and will more than likely keep it for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back