Russian plane down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might have been a foolish move if Turkey actually shot a Russian plane down

The Russians are angry. I don't blame them. The fact that Turkey is a part of NATO is troubling. Remember which band of Mensa candidates booed through the moment of silence for the murdered French civilians and ask yourself whose side they are really on.

One story I read states the Russian aircraft violated Turkish airspace 10 times in 5 minutes and was warned repeatedly according to the Turks. It also said the US is backing the Turks on that.

Some might say the Russian have been spoiling for just such an incident for some time...

Turkey is a member of NATO btw.

Let Russia be mad over pride and a plane. They are cocky and need to be quelled.

Next steps build better protocols of communication/engagement and respect the border.

It would be better if Russia bowed out and did not help with bombing Syria. If they want to help, then convince the Syrian leader to step down. The US by itself has more than enough fire power to deal with ISIS. But having a NATO coalition is a benefit.

But Russia has got to be upset about their passenger jet being bombed by ISIS.

Its a mess over there.

The same Russians that annexed the Crimea and armed those who shot down MH370?

The same Russians bombing Kurds and Turkmen fighting ISIS?

Somehow, I don't really feel for them.

My comment, when I read the news headline this mornning was
Oh ****

and I dont normally swear!

Originally Posted By: expat
My comment, when I read the news headline this mornning was
Oh ****

and I dont normally swear!

That's what we thought too.

Originally Posted By: cat843
It would be better if Russia bowed out and did not help with bombing Syria. If they want to help, then convince the Syrian leader to step down. The US by itself has more than enough fire power to deal with ISIS. But having a NATO coalition is a benefit.

But Russia has got to be upset about their passenger jet being bombed by ISIS.

Its a mess over there.

Russia needs to stay there. Syria has a Russian naval base, platform of power, and is owed billions by Syrian government.

I think its good for Turkey to stand up to Russia. Its their backyard and the Russians have been bombing Turkmen villages in Syria as well as Syrian rebels that the west has been supporting.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
One story I read states the Russian aircraft violated Turkish airspace 10 times in 5 minutes and was warned repeatedly according to the Turks. It also said the US is backing the Turks on that.

Some might say the Russian have been spoiling for just such an incident for some time...

Russians recon aircraft violate our airspace on a regular basis. WE do not shoot them down. Even the Turkish military ought to be able to figure out what the Russians were doing and that there was no intentional violation of Turkish airspace if, in fact, there was any. If the Turks think WE are crazy enough to back them in THIS bushwhacking contest then we know where WWIII will start. The next escalation will be deploying some of their really good fighters as top cap for the bombers. Then, in the words of Fred Thompson (RIP) in Hunt for Red October... "This thing is going to get OUT OF CONTROL". BTW didn't someone claim to have hit the "reset" button on this? THere are already some SU 36 aircraft in Syria.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

Russians recon aircraft violate our airspace on a regular basis. WE do not shoot them down. Even the Turkish military ought to be able to figure out what the Russians were doing and that there was no intentional violation of Turkish airspace if, in fact, there was any. If the Turks think WE are crazy enough to back them in THIS bushwhacking contest then we know where WWIII will start. The next escalation will be deploying some of their really good fighters as top cap for the bombers. Then, in the words of Fred Thompson (RIP) in Hunt for Red October... "This thing is going to get OUT OF CONTROL". BTW didn't someone claim to have hit the "reset" button on this? THere are already some SU 36 aircraft in Syria.

Russian aircraft have NOT violated our airspace.

Ever.

They have flown close to our coast, in international airspace.

They have flown over our forces. In international airspace.

They have harassed, annoyed, irritated and attempted to incite our forces.

But they haven't violated our national sovereignty.

I am with the Turks on this one: violate our airspace, you get warned. Continue violating it, you get engaged.

An airplane in your airspace is the same as a ship in your waters, or a soldier on your soil. It merits a response.

Turkey behaved recklessly. The Russian plane was apparently in that airspace a very short time and made no aggressive moves toward Turkey. It should have been obvious to our NATO ally that this accidental incursion didn't warrant a shoot down and death of two crew members...not to mention a possible international incident.

It wasn't harming Turkey. They should have warned the Russian govt, complained, etc before shooting it down even if they had the right to do so.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Turkey behaved recklessly. The Russian plane was apparently in that airspace a very short time and made no aggressive moves toward Turkey. It should have been obvious to our NATO ally that this accidental incursion didn't warrant a shoot down and death of two crew members...not to mention a possible international incident.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
It wasn't harming Turkey. They should have warned the Russian govt, complained, etc before shooting it down even if they had the right to do so.

So a country should just let another countries armed aircraft continue to violate airspace at will?

Russia shot down one of our planes when it violated their airspace in May of '60. Why should they cry foul when someone shoots one of theirs down for doing the same thing?

Originally Posted By: stockrex
we now care about commie planes being shot down?
what's next, some of us will come out of the closet?

They are actually attempting to fight our enemy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back