80% lowers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. The gun was designed around the material properties of 7075 aluminum alloy.

The one issue you get with the 80% lowers is they are not finished, so you do not get the hard anodized finish.

There are a number of them on the internet that come anodized. Just not the area where you machine it out.

My friends and I have built 11 80% lowers 3 with a Computer mill which took 5 minutes per lower and the rest with a drill press and a jig which took us about 3 hours per lower and they came out perfect. A milling machine would be better. The only problem is the lower is not hard anodized where drilled so it is looser and softer than anodized and the hard anodising is supposed to be as hard as a I think a Ruby plus and the trigger group pin fit is looser than the anodised lowers . They work fine but we all went to the over sized KNS no rotate pins than eliminated the play and greatly improved the trigger feel. The oversized pins are the way to to to improve the trigger feel. There are over sized pins with out the anti rotate links that will improve the trigger on commercial hard anodised lowers. Giselle triggers use oversize pins on their triggers. Plastic lowers are a no go. They are fun to do and rewarding as well. A 7075 lowers made a milspec contractor is the way to go

Splintered A is: Anchor Harvey
Key Hole is: Cerro Forge
F keyhole is: FNMI / Cerro Forge
Offset Square is: Brass Aluminum Forging
LMT is: No Forge Marks, but marked LMT or L is: LMT
AF is: Alcoa Forge
C AF is: Colt Alco Forge
C MB is: Colt / Mueller Brass
? is: Cardinal Forge "Not sure what their design is?
CH is: Colt Harvey Aluminum
Crosshairs w/"AR" is: ArmaLite
CK is: Colt / Kaiser Aluminum
CM is: Colt / Martin Marietta
D is: Diemaco
DK is: Diemaco / Kaiser Aluminum
E is: Emco
EK is: EMCO/Kaiser
E MB is: EMCO/Mueller Brass
FA is: FNMI / Anchor Harvey
FK is: FNMI / Kaiser Aluminum
FM is: FN/Martin Marietta
FMB is: FNMI / Mueller Brass
LK is: LAR / Kaiser Aluminum
LM is: LAR / Martin Marietta
M "diamond" is: Mueller Industries
PA is: Capco / Anchor Harvey
PM is: Capco / Martin Marietta
Here is a list of most if not all of the contractors that make lowers for the military and public consumption. this link has a forging mark and KNS pin you tube

Classic Firearms has them for $45 right now.

(You can about buy a stripped lower for that though.
laugh.gif
)

Last edited:
PSA lowers are $50 shipped for black Friday. The last lower I bought from them was an PSA branded made by Aero Precision gen 2 lower. It's actually the nicest AR lower I've built yet, and I've built over 30 at this point. The Anderson lowers are OK, but the gen 2 lowers from Aero are NICE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back