HEATER CORE, 1994 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer 4.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am horribly mechanically inept, so I would like to ask what all is involved with replacing a heater core on this truck. It otherwise once perfectly and without issue, if you want proof of that check out my youtube channel.

Foggy windows.

And. See all that?

3db5f0f370fbd8139e8942b26f7bd8dc.jpg

Yes, that is a Lexus floor mat. But that's all Antifreeze or coolant.

See this?

0341d01d616fadb7e8a79dbc2ee1482b.jpg

This is a new heater core that was originally destined to go in the old blazer but since that one has traded his life for this one here it's it's in the box. It only has coolant on it because despite my best efforts it fell in the puddle of coolant while I was trying to take this pic.

So, what would I be looking at to get this fixed the right way from an actual real shop...

Then, amor bootleg way in a driveway with someone thats not an Tonio but operates the same way just with more skill and less drills...

And what would I be looking at stumbling and messing it up myself.

Thank you.

"Horribly mechanically inept" tells me that it is best to get someone to do the job, which usually requires dash removal.

Originally Posted By: Ratchetgrinder
I am horribly mechanically inept, so I would like to ask what all is involved with replacing a heater core on this truck. It otherwise once perfectly and without issue

Very rare is the vehicle that was not once perfect and without issue! At least on the dealers lot.

No idea what it will take, but it can't be that bad if you have access to another vehicle for a few days. But it might take a few days of removing parts to get to the heater core, as on some vehicles it is seemingly the first part to get installed.

But I'd take a good hard look at the rest of it, and make sure it's rust free and worth the effort... It's likely at least a day's work for you or for a shop, and perhaps more. Might be better to flip the vehicle to someone who isn't daunted by such a project.

I'm sure someone will chime in with specifics for that vehicle, but removing and replacing a heater core can be extremely labor intensive and require the disconnection of multiple wires, components and Bowden cables, all of which need to be put back exactly how they were removed.

Also I wouldn't dream of doing it without a factory service manual. For reference, this is approximately the level of disassembly required to replace the A/C evaporator on my ECHO (I still had to remove the plenum assembly). However, to replace the heater core was about another hour deeper.

2h84zdt.jpg

Originally Posted By: supton
I am horribly mechanically inept, so I would like to ask what all is involved with replacing a heater core on this truck. It otherwise once perfectly and without issue

Very rare is the vehicle that was not once perfect and without issue! At least on the dealers lot.

No idea what it will take, but it can't be that bad if you have access to another vehicle for a few days. But it might take a few days of removing parts to get to the heater core, as on some vehicles it is seemingly the first part to get installed.

But I'd take a good hard look at the rest of it, and make sure it's rust free and worth the effort... It's likely at least a day's work for you or for a shop, and perhaps more. Might be better to flip the vehicle to someone who isn't daunted by such a project.

That is the best part sir, it didn't even come from a dealer.. a little bit of history about this particular s10 blazer: The truck didn't even come from New Jersey this appears to have been a city vehicle for the town of Norwalk Connecticut and well maintained his whole life and use as a painter car. The original asking price was $1,300 however the guy wanted to sell so I actually got it for 5.. that is not a lowball either the Craigslist ad set $700 or best offer so I actually offered 5 and saw that I had previously been $1,300 at some point when I saw the for sale sign on the truck when I got to CT with the u-haul. (The u-haul part had nothing to do with the truck and everything to do with ownership transfer issue from out of state and all that good stuff)

It's not the prettiest vehicle in the world know but its not a garage queen either.

This truck also has 132000 miles on it and it's well worth keeping.

Again I would have to ask you to check out my youtube for a video proof of all this but this one is the opposite of the one before it where if you name something the chances are that it had an issue.

And what would I be looking at stumbling and messing it up myself

You have no business attempting this repair. Period.

Bring it to a competent individual.

I am in Newark with it right now of all places making a right turn on Broadway.i

This thing runs like a champ.

The oils and even look like it needed to be changed it look perfect but I changed it anyway... and about a gallon of ATF over a week... PM.

Some are easier than others, this one isn't. The dash and dash frame needs to come out, not for the inexperienced DIY but not that bad if you really know your way around the tool box, only you know that.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
And what would I be looking at stumbling and messing it up myself

You have no business attempting this repair. Period.

Bring it to a competent individual.

Should I make plans to drive my other car or another car while that's happening because this almost sounds like it might take more than a day

Get an estimate from the shop you have been going to. Then you have to look at what the truck would be worth after you pay someone to replace the core. In other words, would it cost more to buy another truck without major problems? If that seems worthwhile, do it.

Otherwise the fact that you only have $500 in it opens up the "flip" option already mentioned where you sell it to someone who is willing and able to DIY the repair.

Last edited:
As you screw around, you can put a short pipe in the "hose loop" under the hood so you can drive, albeit without heat.

Did you mention this has AC? That can radically change what a pain this job is.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
As you screw around, you can put a short pipe in the "hose loop" under the hood so you can drive, albeit without heat.

+1 Quit driving with the radiator half full before you burn up the engine.

Originally Posted By: Farmer
This might help you a little...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSfiq-xbWPo

Oh, yes

This will help greatly.

To all reading: the video linked was

I'm glad I checked my coolant. It was low.

Now, this cap isn't clean either.. the cooling system, I can't say when it was last cleaned, so, I'm not to the point of damage yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back