Toe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Camber is the tip of the top of the wheel in/negative or out/positive, and has nothing to do with turning the wheels. Were you referring to toe ?

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
What is the difference between camber and just using the steering wheel to makes the tires turn?

I don't understand your question
21.gif

Caster is how far forward/back the wheel sits. Camber is how much it leans in or out. Toe is where it's pointed: left, right, center. If any of those adjustments are wrong, the tires will wear out too fast and the car will handle poorly and/or pull.

Guess I was wondering the difference between adjusting toe and just simply turning the steering wheel. But after some thought, I guess it IS different and kind of like angle of attack!

Well the toe measurement tells you what direction the wheels are each pointed when the steering wheel is pointed straight

The toe is better described as the difference in angle between the two steering tires.

Ignoring akermann, if you have zero toe, when you turn left or right, or are going straight, both wheels will be perfectly parallel the entire time.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
The toe is better described as the difference in angle between the two steering tires.

That's total toe

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Originally Posted By: EdwardC

That's total toe

Yep.

And to fill in the picture a bit more:

Ackerman is the amount the toe changes as you turn the steering wheel. If you have Zero Ackerman, the wheels stay parallel (more or less), but that is extremely rare and a TERRIBLE way to design a steering system.

What is common is for cars to have SOME amount of Ackerman - to account for the fact that the inside tire needs to turn sharper - and what is interesting is that tire slip angles screw this up and make the amount of Ackerman needed speed and turn radius dependent. On race cars - with their extreme slip angles - a car wants negative Ackerman.

Oh and the spelling of the word Ackerman isn't fixed. You'll find the term spelled quite a few different ways!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back