Valvoline Vr1 synthetic (street legal)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody know if this stuff is being discontinued or something? Reason I am asking is because in the recent months, I have found this oil at discount prices. A few months ago, I picked up 3 years worth of oil changes for the 1991 300zxtt at 1.99 a quart if I remember correctly. Today, I saw it at $3.00 a quart. Debating weather to purchase more or not.

Vr1 is still available. If you like it, buy it. Plus, that blue color is awesome
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: JustinH
What makes a motor oil "not street legal".

Just wondering.

Lack of detergents I think,right?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: JustinH
What makes a motor oil "not street legal".

Just wondering.

Lack of detergents I think,right?

VR1 NSL (not street legal) lacks detergents, TBN retention, and is intended for events only. Basically, race it and dump it.

It's on clearance at AutoZone now for $3 qt. All syn version was gone, and the conventional version is the same $3.

Last edited:
VR1 Synthetic is basically Synpower with extra zddp at an SL concentration. VR1 conventional has higher zddp. That said, VR1 Synthetic should be an excellent oil for the OP's '91 300ZX twin turbo.

I used it a few times and loved it. Got two cases for free somehow. Can't remember as it was years ago. Wish Walmart sold it so it'd be good and cheap. I remember it being cheaper than the regular Valvoline at the auto parts chains back then too. Now it's more.

Silver bottle conventional VR1 is the version I'm referring to.

Not implying that it is the best oil on the market, but the one thing I have noticed about it is that I do not hear any lifter tick when I crank op the 300zx after 2 to 3 months of sitting. Have used a lot of other synthetic at vary weights (xx30,xx40,xx50) all with the lifter tick.

Think 6 month oil change intervals is possible with this oil? Only averaging maybe 1000 miles per year due to work/travel.

Originally Posted By: A10WartHog
Not implying that it is the best oil on the market, but the one thing I have noticed about it is that I do not hear any lifter tick when I crank op the 300zx after 2 to 3 months of sitting. Have used a lot of other synthetic at vary weights (xx30,xx40,xx50) all with the lifter tick.

Think 6 month oil change intervals is possible with this oil? Only averaging maybe 1000 miles per year due to work/travel.

You should be good for 2 years on street legal VR 1 with that low mileage. My motorcycle goes 5000 miles with great OA numbers.

Originally Posted By: A10WartHog

You could easily go 6000 miles / 1 year on VR1 Synthetic.

Yeah, I'd be a once a year OCI ...

I hear you on the lifter tick. Some oils are better at cold start after long sit than others. All syn's (to me) are worse because of the lower surface tension. They retain less oil in the capillary spaces. But among the syn's, VR-1 is about the best
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back