cleaning a sludge monster

Status
Not open for further replies.
my sister finally bought a decent car,,, it's a 2000 sienna with the v6 engine,,,you know the story of this engine,,,I changed the oil two weeks after that with supertech conventional,,, and 2k miles later I did it again,,,this time with castrol edge 0w-40,,,,olso replaced the pcv valve wich became a nightmare,,,,{the [censored] grummet made me replace the overdue valve cover gasket),, I have some pics,,,but my questions are: pennzoil ultra or M1 HM ,,,and I can't find out if this is an interference engine

I'd just use a regular conventional as short OCI and not use an aggressive cleaning synthetic right away. It's not dead from sludge so you should be fine with conservative OCI. You will probably find new leaks from the aggressive cleaning removing debris from around the gaskets.

Save some money and use maxlife, PYB, GTX or a hdeo like T5 for a couple more oci.

Pretty sure it's a non-interference engine.
Some don't like the engine flushes but I have had success with sludged up engines run right before the change.

zorry guys I didn't mention that I have a decent stash
made of mostly penn ultra, some M1 HM,,,and a quarter of delo which insane levels of boron drive me nuts

If I had a Toyota V6 I'd use something like Edge 10W30 or PP 10W30 (if it's one that specs a 30wt).

owener's manual specs 5w-30,,,,I just dont know how you guys store pics and publish them,,,,I think I have a photobucket acount

I have a vehicle with this engine, so I'll speak from a position of experience here.

First off, the 1MZ-FE is non-interference. Change interval on the belt is 90k.

Ours was purchased around 100k, and has been consistently ran on Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w-30 since then. Oil comes out black as coal each time.

As for UOA data, here you go:
qDL5lEc.png

OK, how many miles on this engine? It's not new and it's not under warranty, so anything the OEM was trying to achieve with light oil to meet low fuel consumption standards is no longer your concern. Yeah, you want to save gas and that's good, but you want to clean a used car motor too ...

If it were me, I'd use a 5W-XX HDEO like Rotella T6 for the extra detergency and see if I could find an over-sized filter that will fit... Keep the first few OCI's short like 3K, and then start stretching them out to 5K
smile.gif

I wouldn't waste that good synthetic on it.

I would change every 2-3,000 mile with Pennzoil (yellow bottle) and a Wix filter.

It's a non-interference.

130k miles right now,,,reading that's not an interferece engine is great,,,, since I can give free oil changes to my sister but no replace an engine yet,,,,however,,,after the cleaning process I plan to change the oil every six months(shot trips mostly)... thanks to all of you guys,,,,

i would use PYB 5w30 and maybe a cup of MMO (no more than a cup) And either a fram ultra or a wix in the winter. In the summer use 5w30 PHM
Stay away from synthetic on that engine if there are any leaks at all. Being in the engine business we see them sludged all the time

IMO....just run some Shell Rotella, Chevron Delo or Mobil Delvac all in conventional 15w40 with a blend of any PCMO in a 50/50 blended mix.

The heavy duty detergents in the HM, 15w40, and the light PCMO will clean up your engine safely.

Slow and steady wins the race!

This is a good case for the 2k or 3k OCIs, as mentioned.

With just about any oil..

The 1mz-fe comes in both interference and non-interference varieties.

If yours is a VVTi labeled one, it is interference. The variable valve timing was rolled out in various models at different times from c.1998 to about 2003. The engine cover should make it obvious w/o having to look for the variable timing hardware on the back of the heads.

I would use a HM semi-syn oil like Valvoline maxlife or castrols HM oil. Change it every 4k or so should keep it clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back