VW 2016 Sportwagen S 5MT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like you did awesome! They literally add the floormats and the first aid kit to every single dang one of them. The mats are at least useful though. I believe the recal is only for 2015 TSI engines or some very early 2016. Mine wasn't even built until sometime in September, floored at the dealership mid October, shipped to me this month.

Any updates on your wagens, guys?

I've been looking at these lately. Not sure if VW will re-offer any of the $1500 rebates (recently expired). They're just so darn practical, that it would be hard to pass up a real deal on one of these (5MT of course).

Mid 30's mpg, plus all the cargo space of my Vue, but with real driving dynamics and comfy seats...

Hoping VW gets desperate again and some dealers want to deal...

One more bump up for input.

Test drove one this weekend. Local dealer had two 2015 manuals left, going for ~$18.6. One sold. I wanted them to come down another $1k because its a 2015 leftover, and the 2016s get better infotainment, backup camera, and cloth seats (I did find the leatherette to be a bit warm).

Car drove nicely. It seems smaller than the specs indicate, as far as cargo room.

On paper, it is basically a low-slung version of my Vue. Wheelbase is less than 3 inches shorter, all other dims are within an inch and cargo capacity lists almost identical. Crazy, but I always knew my CUV was just a lifted station wagon.

Searching the itnernets, I find deals on 2016s in the color I want... only 2,000 miles away
33.gif

Pass on the 2015. The Android Auto/Apple Car Play thing is significantly better. Plus you have a lot of book value gone in one year on a VW. There is also the consideration that a 2016 will be very unlikely to need the cam shaft recall. I would want to save at least $2,000 to take a 2015 over the 2016. We are only 3-4 months from a 2017 i think. You could get with a high volume dealer that needs another car sale and place an order.

I have about 2200 miles on the car now and its really been exactly what i wanted. I can get 30 city and over 40 if its pure highway, better than EPA basically. I attribute this to the 5MT trans that is very economy geared. This is not a problem since torque comes on so early. I have had zero quality issues so far. I'm rather amazed at the quality and the features it has for the low price. The car is also very exclusive. You rarely if ever see a golf wagon out and about. Usually its an older Jetta wagon or its a Golf GTI.

Originally Posted By: dareo
The car is also very exclusive. You rarely if ever see a golf wagon out and about. Usually its an older Jetta wagon or its a Golf GTI.

It's not even close to exclusive... They just sold the Golf wagon (known as the Golf Variant in Europe) as the "Jetta Sportwagon" in the US for the last generation. It was a long wheelbase Golf though, not actually related to the Jetta sedan (which is a different chassis from the Golf for the Mk6 and newer, the older Jetta sedans shared the Golf hatch / wagon chassis).

Originally Posted By: surfstar
One more bump up for input.

Test drove one this weekend. Local dealer had two 2015 manuals left, going for ~$18.6. One sold. I wanted them to come down another $1k because its a 2015 leftover, and the 2016s get better infotainment, backup camera, and cloth seats (I did find the leatherette to be a bit warm).

Car drove nicely. It seems smaller than the specs indicate, as far as cargo room.

On paper, it is basically a low-slung version of my Vue. Wheelbase is less than 3 inches shorter, all other dims are within an inch and cargo capacity lists almost identical. Crazy, but I always knew my CUV was just a lifted station wagon.

Searching the itnernets, I find deals on 2016s in the color I want... only 2,000 miles away
33.gif

I also drove this car today at the dealer on Chapala (red with beige interior). It's quite nice, and a lot more refined than my Focus wagon--more like my A3, just slower...

For me, the 2015 is really the only option--bike grease, dogs and cloth just doesn't work. Evidently they have one with black plastic interior (also red) which would work better.

Things I like: handles well, steering is weighted well, pulls nicely, is more than powerful enough. Things I don't like: seats don't fold quite flat, cargo space isn't as tall as the Focus (this could be the deal-breaker), and it's a VW. I'd love to trust this engine, but...

Things I love: tall gearing! why oh why is this so hard for other companies?

I almost feel compelled to support VW though for selling a MT wagon, and it seems like a pretty good deal. If I could by a Mazda6 wagon I've be driving it now, but sadly that's not an option. This car is almost there for me.

I do like being able to stand up my bike with its riser bar and 150mm travel fork in the Focus, then both the kids bikes stand up as well without any disassembley.
If you just have two bikes you can lie one down and throw an old blanket on it and put the other one on top.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I do like being able to stand up my bike with its riser bar and 150mm travel fork in the Focus, then both the kids bikes stand up as well without any disassembley.
If you just have two bikes you can lie one down and throw an old blanket on it and put the other one on top.

I have a split bench in the Focus (SVT Recaros), so 'm able to have it as a 3 seater and fitting 3 people, 3 bikes all inside. That will be tough with the VW. The other issue is I have a dropper post on my MTB, so if I carry the bike inside it has to be front wheel off, seatpost down, it'll need to fit. That's the biggest issue I'm having w/the VW.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
Originally Posted By: dareo
The car is also very exclusive. You rarely if ever see a golf wagon out and about. Usually its an older Jetta wagon or its a Golf GTI.

It's not even close to exclusive... They just sold the Golf wagon (known as the Golf Variant in Europe) as the "Jetta Sportwagon" in the US for the last generation. It was a long wheelbase Golf though, not actually related to the Jetta sedan (which is a different chassis from the Golf for the Mk6 and newer, the older Jetta sedans shared the Golf hatch / wagon chassis).

Actually the new model call Golf Sportwagen is quite rare because it just started selling a tad before VW got terrible press and had to quit selling TDI. VW sales have been slow since. It is not the same car whatsoever IMHO as the prior version with Jetta label is simply not as nice or decent.

Congrats. Love the car. Is it Mexico-made though? Or being a Golf Wagon is it made in Germany?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Congrats. Love the car. Is it Mexico-made though? Or being a Golf Wagon is it made in Germany?

I'm still waiting on this answer too

The car is all Mexico, Puebla Mexico to be exact. rslifkin, it is exclusive because the Jetta Wagon was not the MKVII platform and called Jetta. The MKVII Golf wagon has very low sales numbers and therefore is highly exclusive for a $22k vehicle imo. Only 706 sales in January vs Jetta sales of 8175 or Civic Sales of 26,741

Sure, its not a BMW Alpina or anything but you rarely see another one.

Being a fairly new model (MK7 vs MK6) and not being widely sold yet doesn't make it exclusive. If it's not a limited-production car, it's not exclusive, as anyone can just walk up to a dealer and buy one without sitting on a waiting list or anything.

It may be rare, although being that it's currently in production, it may or may not remain rare. As-is, I see more MK6 sedans and Golfs than I do wagons, so it's not surprising these aren't selling as fast.

Well, I caved.

Almost on the 2015 red sold locally. Got them down to $17,570 on Sat (JOD, this is the one you drove too). Left to sleep on it and debate price vs a 2016 in the color I want. The 2016s S models have cloth seats (preferred as the "Vtex" felt warm/not breathable), MUCH better infotainment system and standard backup camera.

Got a deal on the exact one I wanted, and was able to get them down to $18,425 on a 2016 Silk Blue, black cloth (more like dark grey). We drove 4.5 hrs to Sunnyvale to get that deal. Totally worth it. Shows 39 mpg for the 300+ miles I put on it (I know its quite optimistic and 36 is closer to reality, but I haven't had to fill it up yet).

The car may have never been test driven. 11 miles on it when we saw it and it still had some shipping wrap on it.

First new car. First car payments. Stoked, though. This thing is a deal at this price. Dealer could deal b/c of VW financing, so no need to pay cash. I can pay off after 3 months w/o penalty, though. I've always harped on how used cars, DIY maintenance, will set you [financially] free. Over the 10+ years I'll own this, it will be not that much more than a couple used vehicles, if at all. I finally gave in b/c the price was right. ~$4300 off MSRP on a $22.8k car.

2015+ MQB Golfs have gotten stellar reviews. We also looked at a 2015 Prius as they're clearanced to move at $6200 off, but it drove numb. Just numb. Fine appliance for commuting, but we'll enjoy the road trips in our wagen much more!

(pics eventually - too busy now)

not my car/pic, but one to suffice for now:

ea483ce566b243bdadddb031e4f5502f.jpg

Well, I caved.

First new car. First car payments. Stoked, though. This thing is a deal at this price. Dealer could deal b/c of VW financing, so no need to pay cash. I can pay off after 3 months w/o penalty, though. I've always harped on how used cars, DIY maintenance, will set you [financially] free.

So... inquiring minds want to know: paid off in 3 months, or going to float for the duration?

wink.gif

Ribbing aside (and I don't care if you answer, it's none of my biz), enjoy the new car. I enjoyed my VW, it was a great driver. Still miss it at times.

Looks nice! 18.5k new is a pretty good deal and at some point you could sell it with a low average annual depreciation, or just keep it and see how long it lasts.
I guess you are ditching the Vue? The gas savings will add up too over the years.

Yep, will be selling the Vue. That was very economical to buy and run, just never a quality driver.

I'm likely to refinance with PenFed to a lower APR at the 3month mark. With Netspend and Mango Money accounts earning ~5% pre-tax interest, I'm okay with making payments.

I discovered that I need to upgrade my phone now, though! Android Auto needs 5.x/Lollipop to work. For some reason Cricket isn't updating the Moto G LTE (the older non 4g was). Luckily I can sell that for $50+ and get an $80 Android from Cricket to get Lollipop. Looking forward to Android Auto functionality. Heck, just the Bluetooth and voice dialing on my drive home was a huge upgrade!

I discovered that I need to upgrade my phone now, though! Android Auto needs 5.x/Lollipop to work. For some reason Cricket isn't updating the Moto G LTE (the older non 4g was). Luckily I can sell that for $50+ and get an $80 Android from Cricket to get Lollipop. Looking forward to Android Auto functionality. Heck, just the Bluetooth and voice dialing on my drive home was a huge upgrade!

What are Bluetooth and voice dialing for ? Using your smart phone while driving ?

The only use of my smart phone while I was driving was using Waze, it helped me once to get around an accident on highway.

^BT was for hands free phone use. And streaming audio to the stereo too. Great sound quality.
Call button right on the steering wheel - it does/did make phone use easy and safe (IMO).

Android Auto will integrate navigation with Google Maps and other stuff, into the head unit, via the phone.

Another neat feature is a built in oil temp gauge. Watched it during warmup today - stays at "---" during warmup, even after water temp hit 200. Then it showed 130, about 7 mins in, mixed driving. 216 peak, on a 20min / 10mi spin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back