Tire recommendation for a 2013 Mazda Miata MX5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like the title says. My Step-dad is looking for new tires for his Miata and asked me to find him some options. I figured maybe you guys could be a good resource! He has a 2013 Mazda Miata MX-5 Grand Touring. This uses a 205/45 R17. Some background: He drives a total of about 80 miles a day give or take for a total of at least 300-500 miles a week on average after weekends are included. He takes his Indian out when the weather is nice, but the Miata is his main vehicle. So, I'm assuming he would like something quiet and comfortable for his daily commute for the most part. Let's assume price isn't a big issue as long as it's reasonable ($200 a tire is not reasonable
smile.gif
). As far as I know, he doesn't have a preference when it comes to HM warranties and LRR tires. I doubt he would want RFs though. This will be a tire that is left on year round, so All-Seasons are probably the best. Also, we don't always get snow, but we do get some ice and snow from time to time every couple years. I doubt he would risk driving in it, but let's also assume it may see some very light snow for arguments sake. As far as weather goes, tires will see more heat and rain than anything. Any comments, questions, and opinions are welcome as always.
Thanks in advance,
-G

I had some of these Michelin tires put on used on a car one time and they seemed good. I also like these Continental tires, but they are RFs and priced higher than a lot of the competition as far as 40k mile tires go. But I have also had a couple of these (non RFs) used put on a car before and they did well too. I've personally never used RF tires before, but I've always read that they are too loud, or too expensive, or not good enough. Those statements could be completely false, but I don't have any evidence to back up either side.

According to customers review on Tirerack.com BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S is best in category Ultra High Performance All-Season. Its price is reasonable at $94/ea for 205/45-17.

But Tirerack latest test on Ultra High Performance All-Season had Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 (W- or Y-Speed Rated) came out as winner over Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06, Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All-Season and Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus. Prie is a little high at $148/ea.

I think you can get either from Discount Tire on black Friday with some rebates. Michelin has 70 rebate until end of December.

General altimax rt43s have consistently scored well with the people who run em... cheap too

Michelin premier are great all seasons and are some of the newest tires with the best technology and great traction look into em... almost double of the generals though.

The sumitomo htr a/s p02 tires split the difference in price, are sport orientated, and have a good wear characteristics.. may not be as quiet though. They have a htr enhance as well, but they are closer to the rt43s

He drives that car in winter when there is possibility of ice in Tupelo?
If not, if he only drives during nice weather and like to use MX-5 the way god intended it to be used, then tires like Michelin Pilot Super Sport are probably best choice, or Continental DW.
If he is looking all season but still likes to step on it, Michelin A/S 3, Continental DWS.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
According to customers review on Tirerack.com BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S is best in category Ultra High Performance All-Season. Its price is reasonable at $94/ea for 205/45-17.

But Tirerack latest test on Ultra High Performance All-Season had Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 (W- or Y-Speed Rated) came out as winner over Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06, Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All-Season and Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus. Prie is a little high at $148/ea.

I think you can get either from Discount Tire on black Friday with some rebates. Michelin has 70 rebate until end of December.

Checking these out now and also looking on Discount Tire. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: hansj3
General altimax rt43s have consistently scored well with the people who run em... cheap too

Michelin premier are great all seasons and are some of the newest tires with the best technology and great traction look into em... almost double of the generals though.

The sumitomo htr a/s p02 tires split the difference in price, are sport orientated, and have a good wear characteristics.. may not be as quiet though. They have a htr enhance as well, but they are closer to the rt43s

They don't have the rt43s in his size.
frown.gif
Will look at the others. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
He drives that car in winter when there is possibility of ice in Tupelo?
If not, if he only drives during nice weather and like to use MX-5 the way god intended it to be used, then tires like Michelin Pilot Super Sport are probably best choice, or Continental DW.
If he is looking all season but still likes to step on it, Michelin A/S 3, Continental DWS.

Earlier this year he was able to avoid the Ice completely and just carpool with mom in her Expedition, but I like to assume the worst. You never know when you'll get stuck somewhere or need to drive and only have one option available. I'll try to get more specifics from him though and I'll look at those. Thank you.

Last edited:
Too bad the Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus only comes in run flats and for a high price in his size. I love mine on my VW. I'd probably get some Continentals since I'm not a Michelin fan, although in your climate they'd probably be good tires.

Guys, in this size in 99% of cases only alls season and summer high and max performance tires are going to be available.
If he thinks he will encounter some ice, or slush in that par of Mississippi, maybe Continental DWS would be best. Michelin A/S 3 are really good, but it is really summer tire and all season tire.

I would second/third/fourth the Continental ExtremeContact DWS or the newer DWS06. Seems like an ideal tire for his use.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I would second/third/fourth the Continental ExtremeContact DWS or the newer DWS06. Seems like an ideal tire for his use.

Yeah, DWS06 I meant, I just forget 06 all the time.

I'd check out general g-max's. They're $105 a piece on discount tire direct, I have them on my Cadillac and really like them, but I've heard other people enjoy them on sportier cars.

The Hankook Ventus S1 noble2 is a great value.

The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All Season can also be a good deal because GY frequently has them on rebate.

Avoid directional tires because they can't be rotated. Unfortunately, the G-Max is directional. Some Walmarts will flip the tire and remount directional tires during the free rotation.

I also like the Falken Ziex ZE950's performance to dollar ratio.

The Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 is under $200/tire in the required size.

Why would someone want "quiet and comfortable" on a Miata?

The quietest and most comfortable tires out there are always Michelins. But why?

The best handling tires out there are Yokohamas. The ride is pretty good, too.

Or, he could just get a Buick.

I just helped a customer of mine with the same2 choices below...

1: Cooper Zeon RS3-A
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct...d=17&cs=205
Great handling and rain tire. Also works ok in light snow.
Little shorter life than the 2nd choice below.

2: Goodyear Eagle Sport All Season
Great all season and decent snow tire. Should last a little longer than the cooper above. Has a $40 rebate right now.
Little softer on handling and traction than the cooper but still good.

I have the RS3-A on my CTS as I wanted as much dry traction and handling as I could get but I also do not drive it much so the little less life span is ok for me. So the goodyears may work better for what he wants.

There will be a rebate at DTD later this week. I think it will be around $75 off when you buy

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
I just helped a customer of mine with the same2 choices below...

1: Cooper Zeon RS3-A
Great handling and rain tire. Also works ok in light snow.
Little shorter life than the 2nd choice below.

2: Goodyear Eagle Sport All Season
Great all season and decent snow tire. Should last a little longer than the cooper above. Has a $40 rebate right now.
Little softer on handling and traction than the cooper but still good.

I have the RS3-A on my CTS as I wanted as much dry traction and handling as I could get but I also do not drive it much so the little less life span is ok for me. So the goodyears may work better for what he wants.

There will be a rebate at DTD later this week. I think it will be around $75 off when you buy

I think point in your post is: you do not drive as much.
I was admirer of GY winter tires when I lived in Europe. Moved to US, of course, bought GY tires, Eagle. After 10K two tires out of balance. Well, changed car, got Dunlop's (same [censored] different package), same issues. They warrant tires, give me another set of GY Eagle, again, balance issues.
That was 2010, after thet not touching GY with remote control, not to mention to put on a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back