Gasoline prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My local shell is 90 cents more for 93 vs 87.
However diesel is 10 cents cheaper than regular.
I'd never buy another premium octane car

Originally Posted By: morepwr
Around here it is usually a .010 increase per grade. But we are getting hosed down on prices anyway!

That's the way it used to be pretty much everywhere...I don't understand the huge differences now...sounds like gouging to me...

Last edited:
Since premium prices usually aren't out on the sign, this is one way for stations to make a buck. It's not like the price isn't posted on the pump though.

Can find the same thing in the town I buy gas for our boat in. All the stations charge the same price for 87 E10. Premium 91 E0 has a range - one station can be 30 cents more a gallon, while the one down the street is over 70 cents a gallon. Just have to pay attention...

We are still paying crazy prices for gas in Ontario dispite the low price of oil. We drove to Florida a couple of weeks ago and the highest we paid was $2.27 a gallon, the lowest was $1.87. It is $0.96 a liter here in Ontario!!

Current price here is $2.23 for regular, $2.43 89 oct, and $2.53 for 91. Not too long ago the price difference between the grades was only 10 cents.

Funny is that my Kawasaki Ninja has 12 to 1 compression ratio and I use 87 and it never pings, getting a sgormy performance... Maybe it is the 25-27% ethanol content make is over 87, actually. You guys gonna need E15 Asap.

According to news reports, the difference is because Shale oil is good for regular, not so good for super and the US has lots of shale. But also refinery margins are really high, they're making record profits now. It's known as the crack spread, highest it's been in years.

BJ's in my area is typically 25-55c higher for the 93 vs. 87. It's been that way for at least a year. Right now near the high of that range.

I've seen this lately as well. The spread used to be 20 - 40 cents from 87 to 93, but it's widened to 40 - 60 cents (or even a bit more in a few cases) as the prices have dropped. As someone who pretty much only buys 93 (out of necessity), it sucks. Although I've been paying under $2.50 for a while, so it's not too terrible.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
The current trend I have noticed in the last 6 months is that gas stations will price regular very cheaply, and then really charge big differentials for mid-grade and premium. But I really hit my limit this morning at a Mobil station close to work. Regular was $1.88, mid-grade was $2.66, and premium was $3.00. Gas prices used to be only 4-5% difference between grades, but 60% increase from regular to premium is ridiculous.

So what did I do? I filled up with a blend of 50% premium 93 with 50% regular 87, and effectively paid $2.44 for a mid-grade blend that was cheaper than the pump mid-grade. I won't say that it's 90 octane, but I will say that it's at least as good as the 89 priced at $2.66.

Why not ? That is normally how the station does it... siphon from both to blend it to make midgrade....
I'd say it's no different... other than defeating their B.S. pricing game....

BurrWinder

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Wasatch1
$1.93 a gal here for 85 octane, $2.15 for premium(91). For a while there diesel was less than regular gas.

Don't get me started on the price of diesel. Sometimes it's the price of premium, sometimes it's lower than regular. I did a road trip to southern Virginia last week, and paid $2.79 in Michigan, and $2.05 in Virginia.

The current trend I have noticed in the last 6 months is that gas stations will price regular very cheaply, and then really charge big differentials for mid-grade and premium. But I really hit my limit this morning at a Mobil station close to work. Regular was $1.88, mid-grade was $2.66, and premium was $3.00. Gas prices used to be only 4-5% difference between grades, but 60% increase from regular to premium is ridiculous.

So what did I do? I filled up with a blend of 50% premium 93 with 50% regular 87, and effectively paid $2.44 for a mid-grade blend that was cheaper than the pump mid-grade. I won't say that it's 90 octane, but I will say that it's at least as good as the 89 priced at $2.66.

Here in St. Louis, very few stations sell 89 octane, and 93 octane is ~$0.30 more than 87. What part of Michigan you live in?

What car do you have that needs premium? Most cars on the road do not require premium and actually running premium at best is a waste of money.

Originally Posted By: stchman

Here in St. Louis, very few stations sell 89 octane, and 93 octane is ~$0.30 more than 87. What part of Michigan you live in?

What car do you have that needs premium? Most cars on the road do not require premium and actually running premium at best is a waste of money.

There have been 3 grades of gasoline at every station I've ever seen in Michigan, so where I live doesn't really matter.

I run premium in my Camaro in hot weather, and mid-grade in cold. Although since the car has aged, it seems to require premium more than it used to.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
As someone who pretty much only buys 93 (out of necessity), it sucks. Although I've been paying under $2.50 for a while, so it's not too terrible.

If you read the owner's manual, I'm sure it says the minimum octane requirement is 91. That's for west coast states that only have 91. So if you have 93 in your area, you can mix 2/3 super with 1/3 regular to end up with a 91 mix.

I don't mind too much using premium. It's better than it was before when it was over $3 a gallon before the prices fell. It's really the only major drawback with luxury cars like the Mercedes, seems like a high end car always needs to use high end fuel.

Originally Posted By: cb450sc
We are still paying crazy prices for gas in Ontario dispite the low price of oil. We drove to Florida a couple of weeks ago and the highest we paid was $2.27 a gallon, the lowest was $1.87. It is $0.96 a liter here in Ontario!!

That's because we have to keep the sand oil fields propped up, otherwise they simply cannot compete and would be out of business.
When the barrel was over $100 Canadians of course did not get any price break and were actually paying more than people in US that used Canadian crude. Now that the price of the barrel tanked, Canadians as usual still have to pay more to prop up the crooks running the shell game. We must be the only country that punishes people in its own market on price.

around here it was always 10cents between grades.

87-89-92(or 93)

a couple years back it was common to be 15cents between grades

now its common for 25cents or more.

A BP station was 25cents more for 89, then an additional 60cents more for super.

2.11 2.36 2.96

Gas is now 1.76$

Brings back memories of me complaining about ultra 94 being 1.55$ a gallon in my supercharged 4.6L Tbird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back