anyone into 4WD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here interested in off roading their 4x4 vehicles. I have a 89 chevy 2500 I use for trail riding and mudding.

I have had 4WD vehicles for 25 years and have never taken one off road..Wait i did once to go through the median strip to turn around bc of a bad accident ahead. For me 4WD was merely a way to get home (not to ) work in bad weather.

I guess I always would look at off-roading like "What's the best that can happen here??-I will get get thru it without getting stuck or any damage to the vehicle
grin.gif
grin.gif
" To each his own
grin.gif

I'm sorta with Al. My Cherokee is 2WD, and I've never gotten stuck. Of course I don't go far offroad, I'd rather park it and walk. Got a nice set of tire chains in the back, and I'm good.

Hey goodoleboy, I was born and raised in N.H and everybody had FWD trucks, we would literally go up one side of a mountain and go down the other side, lots of old logging roads, washed out basins etc. If a tree was in our way, break out the chain saw cut it down and be on our way getting stuck was the norm but somebody had a winch so no problem, we would come across old logging camps, mines,old farms that were in the middle of nowhere, prestine lakes that would take you 4 hours of driving thru muck and mud to get to. Fwd was a part of life where I grew up, I could almost say I logged just as many miles in the woods as I did on the road but that was years ago, back in my mid teens to mid 20's, man the memories, Had a 1969 INT SCOUT that was true fwd/ couldnt stop it. That truck could climb a tree, Had a section of R/R track as a front bumper, Put it in 4 low and it made its own roads They dont make them like that anymore.

I have a 99 Jeep wrangler with the 2.5L 4 cyl. I have a 2 inch coil spacer lift, 1 inch body lift and 1 inch motor mount lift. I have a dynomax catback exhaust, 4.0 throttle body, thottle body spacer, JKS "quicker" discos, front and rear tow points, and a cobra CB. I also run 31 inch BFG AT's on the road and 31 inch Trxus MT's on the trail. I usually hit the offroad parks (Badlands in Indiana, Cliff insane terrain, Rockport) about 2-3 times a summer.

4x4'ing is a lot money you through away to tear up equipment.

I'll mostly use my truck for going down roads that are moderately rough so I can go mountain biking. $500 mountain bikes are easier on my wallet than $10,000 trucks.

Another TJ owner here into wheeling. I regularly wheel with a group of freinds on locals trails but will be travellig to Tellico and Paragon here soon.
Copied my sig from another site.......

2000 Flatfendered Black TJ, 2.5L, 5sp POR-15 Interior
ENGINE MODS-4.0TB, Rusty's Air Tube and K@N Cone,
SUSPENSION- 3" Rusty's Suspension Lift, Rusty's front adj track bar,
JKS QD's, 1" PA BL, Goferit 1"MM
AXLES @ LOCKERS - Yukon 4.88s, Dana 30 Lockrite, Super 35 w Detroit, Waggy Steering Box
ARMOR - 4XD Diff Skid, Warn Rocksliders, Kilby Fuel Skid, Skidrow Engine Skid, Warn Steering Skid, Warn Rockcrawler Bumpers @ Tire Carrier, Warn Grill Guard
TIRES- 32x11.50 BFG KM's on 15x8 AR Baja's, Warn 6" Trail Flares,
RECOVERY- Warn XD8000i, Tow Hooks Front and Rear, Optima Yellow Top

02 Camaro SS 416rwhp @ 391 rwtq -What did the LS1 say to the 10 Bolt? Snap ***** !

I drive a 85 toyota 4X4 with numerous crawling mods. I haven't been wheeling for awhile though. I bought a dirtbike and it fills my need to recreate in the dirt.

Heys guys,
Yeah they can be exspensive, I had a freind in high school who dads payed for everything he broke. He paid $2500 for the truck but had about $10,000 in reapirs within 2 months.
He jumped the thing 6 ft off the ground, then he told me to do it so he could how cool his truck looked jumping. Man those times were GREAT!

I like my chevy i use to haul trailers,livestock,equipment,rocks and whatever else.
I dont jump my truck or do anything to crazy. I like rerally just long trails i can climb. I do take my mountain bikes with us when we find a good place.I love to find a place no one has ever seen or touched in 20 years and take a nice long hike with my wife and dogs.
I would love to live in place where i could go wheeling but where we live its mostly fenced pasture land.SO its hard to get access .

I am not one off those extreme off road types that tear up land for fun though..
About 100 miles there are some farms with no fences the owners dont care if you drive around the perimeter roads get a little muddy but no making new roads!

Guys have a good christmas if i dont type back.

I joined a Ranger website and we go off-road a couple times a year. Fortunately the site owner and the main place they go is not real far from me. We usually run three groups, stocker, mid, and hardcore, and hit trails suitable for each. Although my truck qualifes for mid I usually lead the stocker group since I know my way around the place and have enough oats, hooks, and posi to yank somebody else out if need be.
 -

-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back