RT43s continue to impress

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had my H-rated RT43s on my Sedona for 12 months and 15k miles now. We have about 6 inches currently on the ground, with more coming. I went out to run some errands, and I had my usual load with me (400-500 lbs of work equipment in the back). Additionally, I had a set of 4 tires and wheels in the back. Even with all that weight in the back of a FWD vehicle, I breezed through everything. It was nice blasting past people who were stuck on little inclines
smile.gif
hopefully they remain equally as good this winter as they were last winter. Reviewers say that the H rated aren't as good in the snow as the T rated. If that's true, the T rated must be even more awesome.

Wow...

People seem most impressed with the snow performance of RT43s

Now, one of my vehicles is gonna need tires, and I doubt any tire shop will let me get away with deviating from factory V speed rating down to H

Anyone have these in a V speed rating?

215/55/17 for those who are curious

Havent run the RT43s yet in snow,but the positive results others have had give me confidence they will be just fine.

Playing devils advocate, at 15k, they should still be doing pretty good. Id assume these are at least 40k mile rated tires?

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Wow...

People seem most impressed with the snow performance of RT43s

Now, one of my vehicles is gonna need tires, and I doubt any tire shop will let me get away with deviating from factory V speed rating down to H

Anyone have these in a V speed rating?

215/55/17 for those who are curious
Instead of taking the car in, dismount the wheels and bring THEM to the shop. What they object to is NOT mounting and balancing the tires but putting them on a car "requiring" V rated tires. I went through this with the droids at Sam's club when I UPGRADED tow four cylinder Camry to the wheel and tire size on the six cylinder version. The manager, formerly of women's clothing I suspect, lacked the brains to understand that the cars were getting MORE tire, and an H rather than T speed rating which was MORE capacity than they left the factory with. "Nope" he kept babbling," Camrys with THAT tire size (205 65 15) are 'required' to have V rated tires. But.....they would mount and balance them as long as the receipt said "tires mounted on customer supplied wheels and returned". I'm about to upgrade my new (to me) 08 V6 Camry to 17 inch alloys and I suspect I'll go through this again. Yes the car is fast, but we're lucky to ever go half as fast as a V is rated for around here. An H will be just fine and last longer.

Last edited:
Just be careful with directional tires...

I took in a pair of General Altimax HP's,
and when they installed them,
the right tire was mounted backwards,
in other words, both tires were going the same direction...

I pointed out the error, and was told-
"You will have to get a right handed tire to put on that side"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Just be careful with directional tires...

I took in a pair of General Altimax HP's,
and when they installed them,
the right tire was mounted backwards

The RT43 isn't directional
smile.gif

Per the 11-15 issue of Consumer Reports the snow performance on the RT43 depends on the speed rating of the tire.

H rating is good in snow
T rating is excellent in snow

UPDATE: The tires now have about 17,000 miles on them. They are the H-rated version, in 225/70r16 size. Yesterday we got about 10" of snow, plus some rain, and some ice buildup. These tires are still awesome. I even found it difficult to do reverse donuts in an empty Costco parking lot because they have so much grip
19.gif
I did hit an ice patch during my commute yesterday, which led to me sliding quite a bit before I stopped, but I've had much worse with other all-seasons. If these tires are still available when this set wears out, I'll almost assuredly buy another set. I can motor through anything without any issue. These, and the Pirelli P7 AS+ on our Fusion (which are now used only in the warm season) are both excellent in the wintery stuff.

You have good taste in tires. I had the P7s on my VW and have RT43s on my Camry now. Have been thrilled with both sets. I have almost 11k miles on my RT43s in 5-1/2 months and the tread still looks new, no signs of wearing.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
UPDATE: The tires now have about 17,000 miles on them. They are the H-rated version, in 225/70r16 size. Yesterday we got about 10" of snow, plus some rain, and some ice buildup. These tires are still awesome. I even found it difficult to do reverse donuts in an empty Costco parking lot because they have so much grip
19.gif
I did hit an ice patch during my commute yesterday, which led to me sliding quite a bit before I stopped, but I've had much worse with other all-seasons. If these tires are still available when this set wears out, I'll almost assuredly buy another set. I can motor through anything without any issue. These, and the Pirelli P7 AS+ on our Fusion (which are now used only in the warm season) are both excellent in the wintery stuff.

Tire manufactures usually have new and improved model(s) in about 2-4 years to replace current ones. The RT43 is very good today but new replacement in few years will probably better in many categories for similar price.

I almost never had same brand/model tire consecutively, every 2-5 years when I need tire I always found different models and/or different brands better than the old ones for similar price or cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back