Foton Tunland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like it has good bones, but needs a little more fleshing out before it's ready to play. Sort of like Hyundai in the early 1990's, before they figured out their quality control.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
It's Chinese? Does it have the safety issues that other Chinese vehicles have?

"Foton expects the Tunland to achieve a 4-Star Euro NCAP safety rating, but it has is yet to be submitted for local ANCAP testing.

A 4-Star rating would position the Tunland below its many 5-Star light commercial rivals, but it would also outshine other budget alternatives like the 2-Star Great Wall V240 and 3-Star Mahindra Pik-Up and Ssangyong Actyon Sports."

I would rather see them enter our market with a compact 'work' truck.

The "safety issues" of the Chinese cars need to be put in perspective...workmates are putting their kids in 5-7 year old Japanese/Korean vehicles, which have similar standards to the new Chinese stuff, and command similar prices on the used car market, and these utes are about as good as a Holden/Nissan was 5 years ago...

My Nissan is 10 years old this year, and was $41k on the road in 2003 (sans bullbar and canopy), and comes from and era pre airbags in utility vehicles...The Great Wall (not a fan) can be had for $31k in today's dollars, and the Foton for a few more.

From what I can see, the Chinese have made incredible safety strides since last week...

crash_test_landwind_25810.jpg

chinese-car-crash_653.jpg

slide09.jpg

Originally Posted By: Cujet
From what I can see, the Chinese have made incredible safety strides since last week...

chinese-car-crash_653.jpg

Now that's funny !!!

I feel confident that the Chinese will make an export vehicle just as safe as it 'needs' to be (to sell)

As someone who regularly drives vintage vehicles, I'm personally not (just) sold on safety.
There is a huge market for trucks like the Suzuki Carry here, I see room in this market sector.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

crash_test_landwind_25810.jpg

...this is a good illustration for those of us old-timers who are having difficulty learning the accepted safe driving position in the new cars with their fancy-pants airbags.

Originally Posted By: expat
I feel confident that the Chinese will make an export vehicle just as safe as it 'needs' to be (to sell)

As someone who regularly drives vintage vehicles, I'm personally not (just) sold on safety.
There is a huge market for trucks like the Suzuki Carry here, I see room in this market sector.

I don't. Chinese steel is very problematic. Much of it is very soft, or very hard and prone to rapid fatigue failure. The vintage cars you drive were probably made of materials properly made from a thing called a "specification" , hahaha. Those older vehicles were actually very strong. Yes, a few examples performed poorly. However, most were very well built.

These Chinese cars are, at the moment, awful.

Originally Posted By: expat
Originally Posted By: Miller88
It's Chinese? Does it have the safety issues that other Chinese vehicles have?

"Foton expects the Tunland to achieve a 4-Star Euro NCAP safety rating, but it has is yet to be submitted for local ANCAP testing.

A 4-Star rating would position the Tunland below its many 5-Star light commercial rivals, but it would also outshine other budget alternatives like the 2-Star Great Wall V240 and 3-Star Mahindra Pik-Up and Ssangyong Actyon Sports."

I would rather see them enter our market with a compact 'work' truck.

I'd rather not see them enter our market at all.

I have used generic Chinese replacement parts on some cars, and they are horrible. I can't imagine a car that is nothing but cheap generic parts put together.

Hi everybody. Greetings from Colombia.

I have a luxury 2013 Tunland, DC, 4x4, near 20.000 km and I am satisfied with it. I have known people with more than 60.000 km on theirs, used as work tool (it’s not my case) on bad trails and mountain roads, and also satisfied. This is the best value on the market here. I got the same power and a little bit more of torque paying almost a half of the price of the Hilux. A large, comfortable cabin, larger than the Ford/Mazda BT-50, Nissan Frontier, Chevrolet (Isuzu) Dmax, and more power and torque than those brands for the models we had here at the time. And it’s frugal.

The Tunland only get three stars in the Ancap tests, but several aspect were not assessed: pole, and whiplash and pedestrian protection. Why? I couldn’t find the reason. It’s true that there are some security issues but the Tunland is not worse than the cars you drove a few years ago and that, maybe, are still on the roads. And the Tunland is much better than many models those prestigious “established” brands continue selling here and in many other countries, for exemple, cars without airbags!, as several Chevrolet, Fiat, Hyundai, Nissan, Renault, Suzuki, and cars that couldn’t get a single star on the LatinNcap tests! (Only in 2017 it will be forbidden to sell cars without airbags here). Take a look, you don’t have to understand Spanish, only click on the brand and look for the presence or absence of stars:

http://www.latinncap.com/es/resultados

I don’t know the results of the Tunland in Australia. It seems the first importer was a bad representative. I hope the new one is better because it’s essential for the success of a brand. You may have a resounding failure with any brand (Rolls or whatever you want) with a bad dealer.

About car makers, I could say: “Australian cars, does it exist?” only because I don’t know any single one, which doesn’t mean that they don’t exist or that they’re bad.

About the crash image, why didn’t you show the brand on it? It’s clearly not a Tunland. Didn’t you act in a bad faith?

http://www.ancap.com.au/safety-ratings/foton/tunland/691e18

I'd like to see them come and make a simpler, and cheaper midsized pickups. Ram can slap together a quad cab, 4x4, V8, 8spd auto pickup, with AC and power everything and sell them in the high 20's Canadian.
It seems that a simpler midsize functional driven design could be made for less than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back