Hydrogen Powered Colorado Pickup Truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't imagine a vehicle that could more useless to the US Army. They in the past have always specified engines that have multi-fuel capability so that soldiers can forage for fuel in combat situations. I really doubt they'll be able to find Hydrogen when they're trapped behind enemy lines.

Military procurement is being used to try and force "Green" initiatives. Alternative fuels are being tested in ships, airplanes, and ground vehicles. Officers and crews are being evaluated on their energy conservation efforts. Military training now includes energy awareness.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I can't imagine a vehicle that could more useless to the US Army. They in the past have always specified engines that have multi-fuel capability so that soldiers can forage for fuel in combat situations. I really doubt they'll be able to find Hydrogen when they're trapped behind enemy lines.

Lmao, Blackwater or KBR do a lot but that might be a stretch.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

I doubt the enemy could give a rat's petunia about political correctness and green energy when he's trying to kill us.

Last edited:
Hmm I get it now. That's why they've been using depleted plutonium munitions... for that healthy green glow.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Danno
Just shows you how broken the current admin is.
Actually it reflects on the voters choices they have made.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Military procurement is being used to try and force "Green" initiatives. Alternative fuels are being tested in ships, airplanes, and ground vehicles. Officers and crews are being evaluated on their energy conservation efforts. Military training now includes energy awareness.

Typical government energy policy, go after the little things and ignore the 800lb gorilla in the room.

Originally Posted By: CT8

Very true, even the ones that reside in the cemeteries and the ones bused from place to place who voted 14 times.
Those voters will be out in force again next year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Hmm I get it now. That's why they've been using depleted plutonium munitions... for that healthy green glow.
grin.gif

Uh, not exactly. A couple less protons.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
grin.gif

Uh, not exactly. A couple less protons.

33.gif

I was thinking of uranium, but somehow plutonium got typed in.

To be fair, energy has strategic importance.

That's why the Navy developed nuclear power for ships - to reduce the number of refueling events, refueling bases, refueling ships, etc. and there is a serious tactical advantage for ships that don't need to be refueled.

And fuel delivered forward is tremendously expensive, like all combat supplies. Each gallon of fuel in Afghanistan costs on the order of $20 delivered to the vehicle. And each gallon puts soldier's lives at risk. Convoys are vulnerable. More fuel means more combat service support troops in country.

So, I think the DOD should explore fuels, and energy sources, that are not dependent on nations that are hostile to us. I think the DOD should push technology to reduce the fuel consumption of combat vehicles.

But some of the "Green" initiatives are nauseating. And using fuels that cannot be sourced on the battlefield has tactical risk.

Originally Posted By: Trav

Very true, even the ones that reside in the cemeteries and the ones bused from place to place who voted 14 times.

I did not know that's what they do in Germany. We have better system here in the US.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
To be fair, energy has strategic importance.

That's why the Navy developed nuclear power for ships - to reduce the number of refueling events, refueling bases, refueling ships, etc. and there is a serious tactical advantage for ships that don't need to be refueled.

And fuel delivered forward is tremendously expensive, like all combat supplies. Each gallon of fuel in Afghanistan costs on the order of $20 delivered to the vehicle. And each gallon puts soldier's lives at risk. Convoys are vulnerable. More fuel means more combat service support troops in country.

So, I think the DOD should explore fuels, and energy sources, that are not dependent on nations that are hostile to us. I think the DOD should push technology to reduce the fuel consumption of combat vehicles.

But some of the "Green" initiatives are nauseating. And using fuels that cannot be sourced on the battlefield has tactical risk.

Good points. I just don't see how hydrogen (a battery technology with a rather explosive fuel) fits into addressing the issues you point out. If anything, I'd think the Army would want to fund hydrogen research for civilian use, leaving oil for themselves!

Fuel cells can be made to run both ways as well, so maybe there is some thinking that eventually the vehicle could make its own hydrogen in the fuel cell from solar panels in the field?
I guess going to just batteries has issues in the longer recharging time? Also I guess hydrogen is more portable than electricity.
Maybe they will use hydrogen blimps as fuel transport?(I wouldn't sign up for that duty though...) They could be multipurpose, fuel transport or massive air blast ordinance!

The military has been developing biomass renewable energies so it makes sense to see if they could fuel land vehicles using this fuel. Hydrogen produced by biomass could be one option. So it looks like this would fit within their existing effort for alternative energy sources for their fleet.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Fuel cells can be made to run both ways as well, so maybe there is some thinking that eventually the vehicle could make its own hydrogen in the fuel cell from solar panels in the field?
I guess going to just batteries has issues in the longer recharging time? Also I guess hydrogen is more portable than electricity.
Maybe they will use hydrogen blimps as fuel transport?(I wouldn't sign up for that duty though...) They could be multipurpose, fuel transport or massive air blast ordinance!

Hydrogen blimps for fuel transport? That's a monumentally bad idea. If the enemy wants to find you, all they have to do is look for the blimp. If the enemy wants to blow up a blimp, all they need is an AK47 with incendiary rounds. A Stinger missile would be overkill. An RPG would do just fine. Even in civil applications, large gasbags filled with flammable gas was a bad idea. Remember the Hindenburg?

Originally Posted By: Billy_D
Originally Posted By: Trav

I did not know that's what they do in Germany. We have better system here in the US.

Vote early and vote often.
crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back