honda gx390 generator oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CT8
I would also wonder if they ever changed the original oil or checked the level after several hours of operation.

My co-worker's generator failed. He is an aircraft mechanic and maintained it by the book. The connecting rod liberated all the oil and ventilated the crankcase. It had nothing to do with low oil level or failure to change the oil.

What happened was commonplace. It was common 10-30 non synthetic motor oil, a tecumseh 10HP engine and running the water heater for hours. It was hot and humid, post hurricane. There was near zero wind. The generator was alongside the house, running at full output. A perfect recipe for overheated oil.

He purchased a Yamaha generator and went with robust synthetic oil. Problem solved.

I own a Robin/Subaru generator and used 15W-50 Mobil one. Zero problems. That thing still runs perfectly after North of 1000 hours of post hurricane, hard core operation. 50 hour oil changes (every 2 days) . I even put it up at my fathers house and let him use it for a month.

Last edited:
I was running my generator today and shot the head with a temp gun Read 100 degrees. Although it had been shut off for about 4 minutes before I could find my infared temp gun. It ran for half an hour. It was about 55 degrees outside. It didn't have much of a load on it though. I was just running some power tools. Flywheel must do a good job keeping it cool with little load.

We have the exact same Honda engine on a 8kw blackmax generator. I use either T5 10W30 or T6 5W40 but I may start using Mobil1 5W40 as Cujet recommended, or even 15W50. Its 10 years old, we bought it for Katrina, and converted it to natural gas with a line we run from under the house. It has never failed to start good ol Honda reliability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back