2006 Yukon XL Denali

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking at a 2006 GMC Yukon XL Denali, 106,000 miles, for $12,500. New Michelins. Needs brakes (Dealer said they will replace pads/rotors as part of the deal). Typical well equipped Denali edition (moon, 6-disc BOSE, autoride, rear entertainment DVD w/wireless headphones). No rust and body is in great shape. 6.0l engine, assuming 4l65E trans?

Any "common" problems I should look for on this platform?

Where to start? I know from my friend, he had a tranny go well below 100k miles. I actually just looked the year and model up and it looks like the tranny is a super common problem, along with shaking. My vote ---> Pass on it

I have property up in Northern Michigan that I go to about 2x month year round - the Yukon XL will allow me to bring up a lot of stuff comfortably because of its size, get up there safely in the snow, tow a utility trailer back and forth occasionally, as well as tow my boat to the boat launch at home at the beginning of the season and haul it out at the end.

This will NOT be my DD. I will still retain my Prius for commuting. The Yukon will be more of a special ops/tow/up-north/group travel vehicle.

I am not worried about gas mileage and expense, I realize these trucks arent exactly popular for their mpg's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lawman1909
Where to start? I know from my friend, he had a tranny go

Whoa whoa... what does this truck have to do with she-males?!
grin.gif
haha just kidding! I am not afraid of transmissions - my Dad was a rebuilder and even though he passed away in May, his shop still exists. I would probably just have to pay parts.

You are in the rust belt so they rust in places you cant see, under the plastic cladding and rocker panels.
Look at the front of rear wheel wells inside, use a screwdriver and poke around a little, that's where the rust will be.
If there is rust there pass, it will be a big job. Check the rar brake backing plates for the E brake, these are commonly rotted away and require removing the rear axles to change.

Frame rust isn't a big issue but the air ride is, they commonly fail and are an expensive item, the compressor is right behind the drivers side rear wheel and poorly protected from the elements check it for corrosion and make sure it works.

The fuel pump is another weak spot on these and is a bit difficult to change due to the size of the tank, there is no access hole. It either works or it doesn't but if its loud expect to change it sooner than later.
The engine and trans are pretty solid units, the cooling and electrical systems are usually trouble free unless someone keeps dropping change in the front lighter socket (this is very common) that blows the fuse that also feeds the OBD II port, short it a few too times and the thin wires to the lighter will burn through and short.

A buddy of mine has an '03 Yukon XL Denali. He and his family has loved it. 210k miles

I R&R'd his transmission back in June for a rebuild and just last weekend replaced his brakelines. In Michigan, I'd give the brake lines a real hard look.

I have an '05 Suburban and we love it. It only has 90k on it and is currently in great shape. We haven't had to do any major work to it.

Yes, the Denali has the 65E transmission.

Last edited:
Is it just me, or does that seem like kind of a rich price for a ten year old Chevy truck that's past the magic 100K, even with eight hundred bucks in new tires?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Is it just me, or does that seem like kind of a rich price for a ten year old Chevy truck that's past the magic 100K, even with eight hundred bucks in new tires?

I would appreciate feedback on this...

I did a few comparables, checked nada, but I was wondering the same thing.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

It's probably about right. Around here (near DC), these trucks were pushing $20k (retail) a year ago with 15-20k fewer miles. They're now 2 generations old, so prices have dropped, it seems. Good trucks, though.

I just did a few more checks (edmunds, nada, kbb) and the value comes in right around $15-$16k, surprisingly!

Btw, just for comparison purposes, I test drove a 2002 Yukon XL 2500 (3/4 ton) today. I would've made an offer IF the rockers didnt have a bunch of rot on them under the back doors. Other than that, it had 163,000 miles but was very well cared for. The rot turned me off.

The 2006 Denali doesnt have any rust or rot. Its double the price, but only 106,000 miles. Im definitely leaning towards it.

Last edited:
Replace the tranny fluid regularly and it should be okay. I would buy it but not for $12.5k. I wouldn't pay more than $10k for it

Last edited:
One year newer and you get the new body style and i think 6.2l in the denali. Very nice vehicles for what you want to do with it.

Originally Posted By: [email protected]
Btw, just for comparison purposes, I test drove a 2002 Yukon XL 2500 (3/4 ton) today. I would've made an offer IF the rockers didnt have a bunch of rot on them under the back doors. Other than that, it had 163,000 miles but was very well cared for. The rot turned me off.

The 2006 Denali doesnt have any rust or rot. Its double the price, but only 106,000 miles. Im definitely leaning towards it.

What's your boat & trailer scale out at? 8,500?

I'm a big fan of strength and simplicity when it comes to vehicles like this; accordingly, the 4L65 and air suspension would keep me away, and are why I ended up purchasing a 3/4-ton Burb. However, if you're fine with the transmission, and have verified the air suspension to be functioning properly, then these are great trucks.

The '05/'06/'07 GMT-800 Fuel Pumps are quite good, I have several customers with original fuel pumps on theses particular year models. Now the '00-'04....Different story!

Air Ride.... Run Away, Even in Texas these systems are very unreliable!

Rust? What is that!

Doesn't matter how many times you change fluid on a 4L60E/65E When a Hard Part breaks, Be it a stripped Reaction Sun Shell, A split Input Drum, Or the 3-4 Clutches burning down. A Heavy Denali 4x4 LQ4 Towing a boat will break this trans eventually! Over 100K....Your on borrowed time.

You don't care about mileage, Get a 2500 with a LQ4/4L80E, Around here the ONLY GMT-800 Suburban/Yukon XL that is worth more than 10K Is a Quadrasteer truck. My mom has a '04 2500 Quadrasteer Suburban & will not part with it, Even though dad has offered to buy her a new Suburban twice, At 75 she can park it with no issues at all.

They are all pretty good and its a Chevy parts are cheap. As long as its clean and not abused it should be a good buy.

If your worried about the transmission don't buy a 100k mile truck buy a new one with a warranty. If it blows which it may or may not who knows rebuild it a couple grand and its bullet proof.

If you don't need quite as much size and towing capacity, an '05/06 Tundra seems quite a bit more trouble free for the same price.
Just helped my dad find an '05 with 75k miles, double cab, limited TRD for $13.3k in overpriced SoCal. His camping trailer is pretty lightweight, though, so a full-size wasn't needed.
Of note, the '05/06 Tundra double cabs are a longer wheelbase and wider vehicle than the standard Tundras of that generation. 2005 got the HP bump and 5 spd trans.

Otherwise - good luck with whatever you go with

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back