3 Months With Republic Wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having been retired now for almost 12 years and looking for an inexpensive plan for cell phone service signed up with Republic Wireless. Pay $10.00 + tax for unlimited calling and texting. Data is via Wi-Fi only as many places now have free Wi-Fi and normally use a laptop for data so not really and issue. They have plans with data too.

About a month ago took a 3000 mile road trip doing what retired folks do best.

No issues with coverage while on the trip.

Meets my needs for cell phone usage + my wife and I have an Obi200 using Google Voice for a home phone with unlimited free calling in the US and Canada.

Cool,

I have had them for about a year and the service is pretty good. They use the Sprint network and it has greatly improved since I tried it last 5 years ago.

I also have the 10 dollar per month plan and have not had a problem with it.

The android app that they use for WIFI calling has had a few bugs, but they keep coming out with new revisions of it. I had a bunch of weird WIFI calling issues, but I got rid of all the problems by putting the phone in the DMZ of my network.

We took a roadtrip from Austin to El Paso this past summer, and the Republic phone had reception the whole way there. Same as my wife's Verizon phone.

I carry a verizon iphone 6+ as a work phone, so I don't need data on my personal phone, but we are considering moving her phone to Republic.

Thanks. It's good to be reminded there are alternatives to the "Cadillac" plans.
It can be just a cell phone, after all.

I've had Republic for 14 months and been very happy with it.

My wife switched about 8 months ago and she sometimes has trouble receiving picture MMS messages, on WiFi or cell. We haven't been able to figure it out, but it's been OK for the last month and at any rate, we're saving $70/month vs. what we were paying with Verizon, so we're OK with it!

I was with Republic for 2 or 3 years - I think Dec. 2012 until this past spring, had the Defy XT. For price, was great.

Nate - the entire system did not support MMS when I left in the spring this year, unless it's changed since then.

I know have an iPhone 5s on AT&T bundled with another plan I don't pay the bill for. It's light-years better in service and quality, BUT on my own dime I'd be back to Republic with a Motorola Moto phone for sure.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
Having been retired now for almost 12 years and looking for an inexpensive plan for cell phone service signed up with Republic Wireless. Pay $10.00 + tax for unlimited calling and texting. Data is via Wi-Fi only as many places now have free Wi-Fi and normally use a laptop for data so not really and issue. They have plans with data too.

About a month ago took a 3000 mile road trip doing what retired folks do best.

No issues with coverage while on the trip.

Meets my needs for cell phone usage + my wife and I have an Obi200 using Google Voice for a home phone with unlimited free calling in the US and Canada.

Good to see this thread and the positive responses. We've had three phones with Republic Wireless for over a year (all on the cheap $10 plan) and have been very happy (especially with the savings). I was paying over three times as much for two flip phones to T-Mobile before I heard about Republic Wireless and switched. And now we've got smart phones (though they haven't made me any smarter
smile.gif
). As I said, it's good to see the real-life positive reviews here. I sometimes wonder. Even though we're happy with our service (especially the savings), on the Republic website they have a community forum where people can post problems, and one sees a lot of complaints. But it makes sense the people with problems who post would not be very positive, while the people like me with no problems and who are happy with the service never bother visiting the forum in the first place.
I also want to second your opinion on the Obi200. I switched to one with google voice about a year ago for our landline, and now our landline is free. I was paying Verizon about $30 a month for a landline we almost never use. Now if I could find a way to not pay Cox Cable so much for our internet I'd be set.
One can save a lot if one knows what to do. Good thread!

This is interesting. As a senior citizen on fixed income I'm always looking for ways to save a buck. Any idea who they buy their airtime from? Must you buy their phones to use the service?

Please disregard.......I found my answers elsewhere. Sprint, and yes, their phones only

So, a few glitches I have experienced with Republic.

Some of the MMS text messages did not go through on my home wifi, or on my work wifi.

Also, I would get some drops when using home wifi phone.

I put the phone in the DMZ of my home network and have had zero issues since.

So I deduce that they are using weird ports over wifi that my router was blocking. I tried to look the ports up online but found it easier to put the phone in the DMZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back