Screwed twice on expensive car repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.
This'll be a bit long. To start, right around this time last year, I (more specifically, my brother bought for me) got a 2007 Jeep Compass with the CVT and AWD. I did my research on these before I bought it and looked it over and test drove it twice before I bought it and all the electronically controlled systems worked fine then. About a month later I was getting a few random ABS activations while driving on the highway. This happened a few times but seemed to go away on their own. Right about the middle of December of last year I began to have major AWD/ABS failures on a fairly frequent basis. Sometimes shutting the engine down while moving then starting it back up again would restore function for a while but with time even this didn't work. So, in February of this year I took the Compass to a reputable (or so I thought) shop in town to have the problem diagnosed and fixed. They had it in and found I needed a rear hub and rear wheel speed sensor. These were installed and the total cost of repairs was around $840. I picked up the Compass and headed towards home and initially everything was working. 20 minutes later the ABS/AWD system failed. I took the Compass back the next day and had them check it again. When I picked it up this time, the head mechanic told me he couldn't narrow down the problem, the problem could be either in the TIPM or the power feed for the ABS pump motor. I was out of money at this point so I just left and drove it as it was. I occasionally could get the AWD system to work temporarily by removing a few fuses under the hood but that's not a satisfactory way to restore functionality. During that period of time in the year, we were getting out butts kicked by repeated massive snowfalls which would have been a nice time to have the AWD system working, let me tell you. Around the first of April, the Compass began to fall apart mechanically. First a bushing in a lower control arm failed and the left rear hub failed at the same time. I repaired these on my own, parts were about $380. About June time, the front left strut spring collapsed and broke the spring which also gouged the [censored] out of the left front tire. I got my dad to bodge a repair to it so it was slightly drivable again. July came around and the muffler and about a foot of exhaust pipe broke off while I was driving. I drove the Compass home and I was just so angry at the repeated breakdowns that I didn't bother to repair it and just let it sit in my yard, I even considered scrapping it despite having paid nearly $5500 + 4 new tires + 3 year Lubrico powertrain warranty and a battery for it not even a year ago at that point in time.

On the first of September, I got fed up enough with seeing the thing sitting in my yard and went and ranted on the dealers Facebook page. They replied a day later and we had a bit of a back and forth argument, then he relented I guess and told me to bring it over and he would see what he could do for me. I drove it over there carefully with the half-broken strut and missing muffler and dropped it off then had a bit of a talk with the dealer/head mechanic. I had made him aware of my major concerns both on his Facebook page and in conversation, the dealer/head mechanic said he would look it over. For the next 3 weeks or so I heard nothing from him so I decided to pay him a visit. FFS, the thing is sitting in the exact same spot I left it in when I dropped it off. Dealer/head mechanic told me he was just too busy to get at it but he'd haul it into the garage in the next week and get at it. The next week I called and he told me that the shop I had repairs done to the Compass at had managed to mangle or bend (?) the rear wheel speed sensors. I didn't really understand what he meant by this. Please note, I am slightly mentally handicapped so I have a difficult time understanding certain things and I am easily persuaded. Anyway, Dealer/head mechanic said he'd try to straighten out the sensors then he'd get back to me. Another week went by and of course I haven't heard from him so again I paid him a visit. He tells me this time that he was able to get the sensors working and his super-duper diagnostic computer was showing communication from all 4 wheels. I then asked him if this meant the AWD system was working. He said that they had it up on a lift with it running in drive and all 4 wheels were turning. I asked him if I could test it out on the road and he gave me a half-excuse that the ABS still wasn't working and that the AWD would cut out as soon as I turned a corner. I relented and left. I called the next week, not fixed yet. The week after that, same thing. This all leads up to 3 weeks ago if I haven't messed up my own timeline. When I next visited him he said he had gone as far as he was willing to go regarding the non-functional AWD/ABS system. At this time, we discussed the other mechanical issues. He said he'd put a used muffler and a strut on for me and he'd the parts to me at cost and only charge me for the labor. I agreed to this and left. He eventually put the muffler and strut on and also found I needed one rear brake caliper since the bleeder screw on the old broke off. The next 2.5 weeks were a repeating game of phone-calling, each time I was told "It's almost done, just a bit left to do, I'll get it in when I can". I paid the bill just this past Thursday. Total for 8 hours labor, one used muffler and strut, one new caliper, 2 new rear flex hoses and caliper brackets was $960.74. When I go to pick it up I see the wire bundle that sits under the driver's side kickpanel hasn't been taped back together. The kickpanel itself is still sitting on the floor. All the warning lights are still on. The brakes haven't been bled properly as the pedal feels mushy unless I pump it a few times then it feels a bit better. In these vehicles, when all the warning lights are on the lockup torque converter doesn't lock up so they rev quite a bit higher than normal. 2.5 months and 80 days of being at this dealer/garage and the major issues aren't done and I lack the funds to try for a third repair. I don't know what to do now. I'm not the kind of person who would raise a stink over anything no matter how much I was wronged but this time I really feel I should do something. I would like to file a complaint with the BBB but I can't see that doing anything. I can't afford a lawyer, otherwise I'd consult one to see what my options are.

All this and the 3 year powertrain warranty is no help. Yuck.

I'd try to argue that since the AWD wasn't working, they need to get that working, as it's part of the powertrain. If it fixes the ABS too, super groovy.
wink.gif

Give up this car. Put it on Craigslist, see what it can fetch. Use that to get another car.

My old boss has one, it's a piece, too. Just dump it and get something Else NOT Chrysler/jeep/dodge. The quality is not there. They don't last the long haul in bless you get big old diesel truck. My life experiences, so you m sure some people will disagree.

Bad decision getting a used Chrysler. Especially a Jeep not named Grand Cherokee or Wrangler.

Honestly, if the car has given you this much trouble already and you already seem like you are sick of the thing, you should just sell it and at least get some of your money back. In the finance world we would call all that money you've already spent a sunk cost. There is nothing you can do about it now, that money is already gone. At this point, you just need to decide what the better route will be for the future. Do you think it will be cheaper to repair the Compass, or buy something else?

55Test - You described your situation very clearly, so I don't think your self-described mental handicap is significant. You write very well.

I agree - the situation with the Compass is a real mess.

With two separate shops having worked on it, they can point at each other leaving you caught in the middle. It's not clear to me that either shop tried to rip you off or was incompetent. Sometimes problems are hard to diagnose. I've certainly misdiagnosed things.

I think you need to repair the vehicle yourself, or find a trusted shop. Do you have a mechanically-gifted friend who could help?

Is it possible some of the things you've experienced are common defects with the Compass that may be covered under a good-will extended warranty?

Just a few thoughts ... best of luck to you, and please let us know how this turns out.

In NY you can contact the DMV for help since they license mechanic shop's and will get involved, I am not sure about your state.
Maybe small claims court?

Originally Posted By: 55Test
I did my research on these before I bought it

Your research should have included the purchase of a copy of Consumer Reports New Car Ratings & Reviews (less than ten bucks) from a bookstore or newsstand. Say what you will about CR/CU, but their reliability ratings are pretty close to real-world experience.

The 2007 Compass is shown to have big problems with the driveline, fuel, suspension, transmission and brakes, as well as some body issues.

Originally Posted By: Tegger

The 2007 Compass is shown to have big problems with the driveline, fuel, suspension, transmission and brakes, as well as some body issues.

I agree if he did his research, he didn't do it very well, the Compass is well known to be a piece of poop.

Sounds like my sister she bought a Chrysler minivan that was a POS, then a Volvo that was a even bigger POS and now she has a Subaru.

I think the 2nd shop did rip you off. It sounds like it's the original used car dealer that sold you the car. They are in the business of flipping cars for as little as possible, not doing quality repairs. I would not take a car to any used car dealer to get it fixed. I think they way overcharged you for the work they did, and obviously didn't do a good job. Two weeks to do the work is completely unacceptable as well. I would file a BBB complaint and not deal with them again.

I would try to use the Lubrico warranty to get it fixed at another shop (if possible). It sounds like the 1st shop didn't diagnose the problem properly. Unfortunately a lot of mechanics are competent parts replacers, but are not very good at diagnosis, as I am finding out with my personal car as well.

If you can't use the warranty to get it fixed at a competent shop I would fix only the safety-related issues, and start looking and saving money for a different car. You might consider disabling the AWD and driving the car in FWD only if possible.

Hate to see somebody get screwed on repairs, as is your experience in this case.
There are good shops out there.
It's a shame that you didn't find one.
I've rarely had anyone I don't know touch any car we've ever had for anything other than tires.
Your story explains why.

Since the All Wheel Drive system is not working, I'd get on Lubrico for a solution.

Hard to say that a system with Drive in the name is not part of the drivetrain.

I see you're not that far away from NY.
Take your Jeep Compass here:

South Main Auto Repair
47 S Main St, Avoca, NY 14809
(607) 566-2225

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back