Duracell (Sams Club) Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Marine battery on my backup sump pump took a dump last night.
In pricing them, I found that Sams had the best pricing by far on a Duracell.
I remember hearing that these were sourced from East Penn.
Is that still the case?

Interesting. I could have sworn the Duracells I saw at Walmart or some other big store somewhat recently were Johnsons (octagonal caps).

If they're made by East Penn, I'd buy one. They've always seemed to make solid batteries in my experience.

I've had an East Penn made Duracell marine deep cycle in the Jeep for 4.5 years, it's still doing just fine.

Walmart and Sams are big enough to source from multiple suppliers for different parts of the country. So while one can assume that East Penn probably made the Duracell battery, its best to verify. Also to get a fresh one (mfg date).

Just got back from the club, and I ended up buying the battery.
It is East Penn and has a date from last month.
Walked in with my five year old WM Everstart and told the guy that I needed a new battery (it tested at 9.1 after being on the charger all night.)
He advised me that I may want to keep my wingnuts off the old one as EP only provides regular nuts to bolt on the terminals.
I thought that was a tad chintzy and thanked him for the heads up.
I ended upgrading to a better battery and was still $15. under the comparable Everstart at WM.
Only EP battery that I have ever purchased was in 1983 for a 1982 Monte Carlo that I owned at the time. I remember the battery being better than the car.

Bought a Duracell group 24 car battery for my GF's car two weeks ago at the local Batteries Plus store. The price of $103 was competitive and I no longer have a Sam's membership, anyway. The fact that Duracell is made by EP/D is what swayed the decision.

EP/D sure is proud of their AGM battery. A group 24 AGM costs over $250.

Brand and manufacturer do appear to vary by region. In this part of Texas, Sam's Club stocks Energizer, and they're made by Johnson Controls (printed on the label). I bought one for my Civic because I couldn't beat the price and warranty. I'll buy one for the El Camino too when I need one.

I put a Duracell battery in my Saab. The free replacement warranty is great. I've had it replaced twice for free. Make sure you keep the receipt, because the Sam's Club computer system only keeps about a year of purchases in the database.

sam's club by me has energizer car batteries. the prices are hard to beat. Until, I got advance auto battery with 40% off online coupon. it's hard to beat.

Here's a tip about receipts that was suggested to me by a store employee: make a copy of it. Most stores now print receipts on thermal paper, and it will fade over time, potentially making it useless if you need to redeem a warranty on a battery. I like to make a copy and keep the copy in the car, and put the original receipt in the file folder I keep at home for each car.

I couldn't beat the price and warranty on the Energizer battery (group 51R) at Sam's for my Honda, and curiously, the battery for my El Camino (group 75), which is physically much larger, is $15 cheaper. I'll probably buy one in the spring.

I recycled two Walmart Maxx batteries for the Sam's club Duracells. Figured they were the same. Never bothered looking at the 'made by' stickers. Were cheaper at the 'Club.
So far, the Duracells are working great. Maxx worked great too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back