2000 Camry 2.2L Chevron Supreme HM 200k, 5k OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Here's the UOA of my Camry I bought in August. Ran it for just over 2 months and 5,003 miles. Oil used was Chevron Supreme HM 5w30 and the makeup oil was Chevron Supreme HM 10w30. Oil filter used was a Fram Ultra. I changed the air filter about 3,500 miles in on the oil change.

What do you guys think?

f1l7gx.png

Very nice. Looking forward to using my stash of Havoline and Chevron oil later on.
Has it always been run on conventional oil ?

This is a known sludger year of Camry, I would be careful about going too far on the oil. 5,000 looks pretty good, I would be hesitant about going further, or at least, I would be conservative about extending further,

Originally Posted By: Brons2
This is a known sludger year of Camry, I would be careful about going too far on the oil. 5,000 looks pretty good, I would be hesitant about going further, or at least, I would be conservative about extending further,

I spent a lot of time on the Toyota forums, as I was originally planning on getting a late-90's Camry with the 2.2 engine.

The consensus seemed to be the issue was caused by the long intervals spec'd with a typical conventional oil, hotter temperatures coupled with failure of the PCV components.

A lot of cars like the Toyota Camry of this vintage are being purchased as cheap "beaters" at this point where people won't be maintaining them properly. IMO, a lot of cars seem to get a bad rep after they are sold on from this use, where nothing was done maintenance-wise for 10-20K miles.

That said, I'm not sure how high the TBN for this oil is new, but seeing it so low after just 5000 miles is a bit of a worry. Maybe I'm just used to European I6's pushing nearly double with similar results.

I would be interested in seeing how clean this engine is under the valve cover at this point.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bud_One
Very nice. Looking forward to using my stash of Havoline and Chevron oil later on.
Has it always been run on conventional oil ?

Unknown oil use because I bought the car in August. There's quite a bit of maintenance records for earlier in its life at the dealership. Probably conventional.

The Chevron Supreme I used was bottled in early 2011 too.

Originally Posted By: B320i
Originally Posted By: Brons2

I spent a lot of time on the Toyota forums, as I was originally planning on getting a late-90's Camry with the 2.2 engine.

The consensus seemed to be the issue was caused by the long intervals spec'd with a typical conventional oil, hotter temperatures coupled with failure of the PCV components.

A lot of cars like the Toyota Camry of this vintage are being purchased as cheap "beaters" at this point where people won't be maintaining them properly. IMO, a lot of cars seem to get a bad rep after they are sold on from this use, where nothing was done maintenance-wise for 10-20K miles.

That said, I'm not sure how high the TBN for this oil is new, but seeing it so low after just 5000 miles is a bit of a worry. Maybe I'm just used to European I6's pushing nearly double with similar results.

I would be interested in seeing how clean this engine is under the valve cover at this point.
Here's the under valve cover pictures.

sneb1y.jpg

11930i0.jpg

4hprap.jpg

6sqcug.jpg

2r5yozp.jpg

wmlcop.jpg

Originally Posted By: car51
Does your Camry use a FRAM EG,TG 7317 or am I mistaken
It takes an XG4967

What oil did you use for the current oci and did you run the oil filter for another interval or change it out for a new one?

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
What oil did you use for the current oci and did you run the oil filter for another interval or change it out for a new one?
I changed the Fram Ultra for a new one. I know, a waste but I put in Pennzoil HM to see the comparison of a UOA and wanted a fresh filter for an even comparison.

The info is in my signature too.

How much top off oil?

XG3614 or XG3600 are oversized options. Get a couple more ounces of oil capacity for a longer run.

I would use the largest filter, check and top off more frequently, and run it to 7500 miles. Changing oil 6 times a year is much and 4 times is less of a hassle.

5000 miles in two months... TBN kinda low and visc kinda high. That shows that the engine can stress the oil. But, this engine doesn't wear much as long as it has full oil level.

With SN/GF5, I don't worry much about sludge monsters from a decade or more ago. Probably took SH/SJ oil back then.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
How much top off oil?

XG3614 or XG3600 are oversized options. Get a couple more ounces of oil capacity for a longer run.

I would use the largest filter, check and top off more frequently, and run it to 7500 miles. Changing oil 6 times a year is much and 4 times is less of a hassle.

5000 miles in two months... TBN kinda low and visc kinda high. That shows that the engine can stress the oil. But, this engine doesn't wear much as long as it has full oil level.

With SN/GF5, I don't worry much about sludge monsters from a decade or more ago. Probably took SH/SJ oil back then.

It was 3/4 of a quart of top off oil. The valve guide seals are bad and it puffs some smoke on startup but none while driving.

Next fill after this 5,000 mile run is Pennzoil Platinum HM and will be run for 7,500 miles. It'll be a UOA test for me to send in to Pennzoil. After that I have some Pennzoil Ultra in the garage for a couple changes I might stretch out to 10,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back