AirPlay weirdness

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
I was at the store of my buddy who does a lot of home automation and AV stuff and his DENON shipment had just come in so I grabbed an AVR-X4200W and a SpeakerCraft SC2-100 to replace the mess I had in my living room which my wife and kids could never seem to remember to turn off.

Anyways, I set it all up and it is working beautifully with the exception of AirPlay through iTunes being less than stellar in terms of reliability
smirk.gif

The issue seems to be common but there also appears to be a distinct lack of fixes for it, which isn't overly confidence inspiring.

I will add that I also have the computer hooked directly up to it as a source so I'm not relying on airplay or anything, it is just a nice feature that I figured should work properly.

So the setup is pretty straightforward:
AVR hooked up via Ethernet to my SSG5 with a static IP address, computer on the same subnet/VLAN with iTunes. You open iTunes, it will play fine. You shut off the receiver (which is set to NOT turn off the network connection) and don't close iTunes, if you later turn the receiver back on and try to play music iTunes will indicate that it is unable to connect to the receiver. Close and re-open iTunes, it will play no problem. Nothing on the receiver changes, it always has the same address and the IP is always active on the network.

Also, if you leave iTunes open and leave the receiver on but don't use airplay, it will eventually create the same issue. Restarting iTunes always "fixes" it.

Having to restart iTunes should be unnecessary.

Now, I will add that this is also a Windows 10 PC, I haven't tried to recreate the issue with my MBP yet.

Anybody else had this problem and did you ever find a way to keep the two devices "paired" when they aren't playing music?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back