TGMO 0W20 in Fiesta ST?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys...I've remembered a while back being advised not to use TGMO in my fiesta. I'm looking for some information as to what the problem would be..I know it doesn't meet Ford specs..does tgmo not work well with turbo motors? I know it's on the thin side for a 0w20 but the car specs 520 so I don't think that would be a real issue. The other thing I'm thinking is intake valve deposits? Would using this cause more valve deposits? I have 72qts in the garage and would love to put it to use in my fiesta ST. Would do 5k drain intervals with it..I drive about about 40k/year...Thanks guys for any input

I've never heard admonitions not to use TGMO in Fiesta turbos.
Someone probably said it because it doesn't carry the WSS-M2C945-A spec. Could make Ford void the engine warranty as an excuse, if something goes wrong in there.

With a stash like that, I could see the attraction. I'd probably put the stash on Craig's and buy the recommended stuff, though. We have a 2014 ST with mountune MP215, fun car.

Given the following TGMO has on here with some members I'd probably just sell it on the board and pick up an approved oil.

JMHO of course.

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
I've never heard admonitions not to use TGMO in Fiesta turbos.
Someone probably said it because it doesn't carry the WSS-M2C945-A spec. Could make Ford void the engine warranty as an excuse, if something goes wrong in there.

Per the owner's manual the Ford specification is recommended but not required:

Quote:
Motor oils of the recommended viscosity grade that meet API SN requirements and display the API Certification Mark for gasoline engines are also acceptable.

I can't think of a valid reason not to use that oil as long as it is SN.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Quote:
Motor oils of the recommended viscosity grade that meet API SN requirements and display the API Certification Mark for gasoline engines are also acceptable.
I can't think of a valid reason not to use that oil as long as it is SN.

My '15 Ford Cmax owner's manual contains similar wording. In one sentence they say "Only use Ford WSS-M2C947-A 0w-20 API SN oil, then in the next sentence they say "API SN 0w-20 oil is also acceptable". To me, they should not use the word "Only", instead they should say "Preferred" to use WSS-M2C947-A 0w-20 API SN oil, because Only means Only.

Getting back to the Fiesta here, I do think TGMO would be fine. Importantly, for warranty purposes, Ford may be insisting on 5w-20 here, not 0w-20 technically. And, the mobiloil.com "Find the right oil" tool also ONLY allows 5w-20.

Maybe they are concerned about VII shear, the 0w-20 having more VII to shear down with the turbo heat and mechanical stress.

Maybe they are concerned about VII shear, the 0w-20 having more VII to shear down with the turbo heat and mechanical stress.

And this is certainly a valid concern. This particular lube is completely Group III based and its extremely high VI is a direct result of the use of VII's.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
And this is certainly a valid concern. This particular lube is completely Group III based and its extremely high VI is a direct result of the use of VII's.

If he wants to use his stash, then I would spike it with M1 15w-50 oil, 1/2 quart in the sump with the TGMO to raise HTHS for the turbo and anticipated shearing (margin).

Last edited:

If he wants to use his stash, then I would spike it with M1 15w-50 oil, 1/2 quart in the sump with the TGMO to raise HTHS for the turbo and anticipated shearing (margin).

I'd sell it and if he was adamant on running a 0w-20, M1 EP 0w-20 is primarily PAO, which would require far less VII. Otherwise an approved 5w-20.

Given the following TGMO has on here with some members I'd probably just sell it on the board and pick up an approved oil.

JMHO of course.

I'd probably do the same thing, or post it up on Craig's list.

JMHO of course.

Agree.

Selling TGMO at around $4-5/qt then buy WSS-M2C945-A spec oil for the Fiesta under warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back