Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been a while since I have needed to post anything, but I find myself questioning my memory...

I'm sort of in need of a new battery for my Explorer and cannot remember what the "best" battery manufacturer/supplier is out there.. For some reason East Penn comes to mind as highly sought after. So who do you recommend and what are the distinguishing features of the battery that lets you know it's their product?

Side note - I did some searching on here and found some things but I'd like to get updated answers.

East Penn Deka is very good but JCI is available and nearly so. Exide gets the bad rap.

WM's $49 JCI is getting lots of love here too. Heck, I got one for my F150, the 65 size is a huge price break.

^ Are you guys referring to the ValuePower batteries? I'm looking more for a 850CCA battery... Are the EverStart batteries made by JCI as well?

Chicago winters + truck never sees garage = disaster in recent years for me.

Originally Posted By: lugNutz

It's nice that there are $49 batteries available nowadays, but if this is a vehicle that you absolutely need to start and rely upon daily, I'd pass on the cheap stuff.

AutoCraft Gold is available at Advance Auto, and you can use their coupons to get $40 off any purchase over $100.

Easy choice for me.

http://www.powerframe.com/us-en/

Autozone duralast gold in all my trucks. Buying cheap batteries is for when your selling a vehicle. Acdelco gold is also pretty good.warranty is great on both

I want to see some long term results from these $50 Walmart batteries. I'd try a junkyard battery before one of these $50 walmart batteries, if I had the time to get one.

Zzyzzx, I am with you. I have never gotten two years out of a walfart battery, period, more like a one year throwaway.

My vote for the money and quality is a motorcraft branded(label) made by Johnson control. My shortest life has been eight years and 205,000miles. Most live to or over ten years, in my experience.

My only other good experiences are interstate and optima.

Harvey

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: lugNutz

It's nice that there are $49 batteries available nowadays, but if this is a vehicle that you absolutely need to start and rely upon daily, I'd pass on the cheap stuff.

AutoCraft Gold is available at Advance Auto, and you can use their coupons to get $40 off any purchase over $100.

Easy choice for me.

http://www.powerframe.com/us-en/

This. With the on-line discount codes, AAP batteries are hard to beat.
Every one of our vehicles has one (3 Gold batteries and 1 Silver, total.)
Costco and Sams also have some good values if you are a member of either warehouse club.
I'm not a huge fan of Walmart's auto batteries because of personal experience (I have never owned one that I haven't had to return at least once.) Since I buy at least midgrade batteries and have had to access the warranty on every single WM battery that I have ever purchased, I can't believe that the $48.88 special is that spectacular. However, I have had decent luck with their marine batteries.
IMO, going cheap on a battery is false economy.

Generally, its the longer warranty you're paying for in a higher end battery.

The brand matters little as they're all manufactured by 3 companies with JCI being ubiquitous. Local climate is the biggest factor for battery longevity.

Also, keep the battery charged, connections clean and secure and occasionally clean dirt and grime off of the battery.

Last edited:
I might have to replace the Walmart battery in my Caddy next spring...it's cranking a bit slowly. It is eight years old. (Will be nine next spring!)

When I do, it will probably be with the $48.88 Walmart battery.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Never in my life have I ever seen a Yuasa car battery available here, not anywhere and not at any price.

They are available over here. I can't tell you exact numbers, but they have like 30% more starts "built" in them compared with competition.
Friend of mine work for a big battery importer, Il ask him for details about start number.

I used to like Optima until the reports of bad ones started to make their way onto the Internet. I'm currently using a Bosch S5 in 075 size as an upgrade from the factory 063 size, mainly because of the 5 year guarantee and how cheap it was.

I always thought Yuasa were at the cheap n nasty end of the scale?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back