Shell Helix 3 20W50 API SJ/CF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might try the Valvoline VR1 out , but it is pretty expensive but it seems everyone is using it , i can also buya Spanish brand called Cepsa which is also a 20w50 Mineral SL Rated oil , this should be good enough too right? i'm a bit new to the API Ratings excuse me
smile.gif

Instead of chasing after an API, any 20W50 of A3/B3/B4 should be more than adequate for the Capri IMO.
blush.gif

For now i will keep using HX3 i've driven more than 500 Km with it now and it's great stuff , but i will definetly try VR1 out since it seems to be " all the rage " in the Classic Euro Ford scene .

You can find out a bit more info on the CEPSA 20W50 here if you download the PDF data sheets...

http://www.cepsa.com/cepsa/Products_and_...psa_Lubricants/

One of things I noticed is that the 20W50 blurb refers to 'low phosphorus content' which translates to less ZDDP. Also the 20W50 is only A3/B3 (the 15W40 & 10W40 are both A3/B4) and it also has a lower TBN. If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say they're using the same additive pack in all three oils just at different treat rates, with the 20W50 containing the least amount.

I'm not saying the CEPSA oil isn't suitable. It could well be that it is. However if you're after lots of ZDDP for flat tappet protection, the CEPSA oil is going in the wrong direction.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Thank you all for your replies , i think the Mercury Capri didn't sell well in the US because you bever got any of the cool performance versions in Europe we got Turbocharged 2.8 and 3.0 L Capris with over 200 Hp and in South Africa they even put a 250 Hp 302 in it.....

Yes, just as the 2 door hatch 'Sierra' we got was the Merkur XR4Ti (also sold through Lincoln-Mercury dealers) with an anemic, de-tuned from Mustang SVO trim, SOHC turbo 4 pot, instead of the fire breathing, Cossie BDT RS/RS500 you, and the Brits were offered.
frown.gif

My fave Capris of all time were the Group 4, Zakspeed campaigned, DOHC/24 valve V-6 deals with that wicked 'cross-ram' runner intake manifold.
19.gif
cool.gif
thumbsup2.gif

^^^Correction for above;

They were the early Group 2, RS3100 Capris with the Cosworth GAA DOHC 24 valved Essex-based V-6 (which I am told had to be HEARD to be believed at redline!
crazy2.gif
), installed for the ETCC series.

These were NOT campaigned by Zakspeed.
wink.gif

BTW I've found this cheap spanish Repsol 20w50 mineral rated API SL : What does this tell you if it's suitable for a solid flat tappet cam?
API SL/CF

ACEA A3/B3

VW 501.01/505.00

MB 229.1

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Another good option (better than Shell IMO) would be Selenia HPX 20w50. Of course, if you have to use 20w50 oils.

This.
I'm still unsure this Selenia HPX is 20W50 or 20W60. Anyway, it's usually cheap and easy to find.

Repsol:

High noack, low shear stability (into an SAE 30 after shear testing), low TBN, fairly low SAPS, low flash point...

meh...

Can you get redline 20w50 for a decent price? low noack, high flash point...can't comment on add pack but reputedly strong...

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Thank you all for your replies , i think the Mercury Capri didn't sell well in the US because you bever got any of the cool performance versions in Europe we got Turbocharged 2.8 and 3.0 L Capris with over 200 Hp and in South Africa they even put a 250 Hp 302 in it.....

Anyway i also know a place where i can buy Valvoline VR1 20w50 mineral in a black 5 liter jug ( API : SL ) , would you reccomend this to me?

On the contrary, the first gen Capri sold in good numbers here.
They were available with the fuel economy special 1.6, the nice 2.0 or the Cologne V-6.
The second gen hatchback didn't do nearly as well, probably due to sharply higher prices along with other competing cars.
Americans cared as much about high performance versions as most Europeans did, in that they would have talked about but never have bought something so costly.
Anyway, you have a very nice looking second gen car.
Enjoy it and continue to care for it well.
This must now be a car almost as rare in the EU as it is here.

Originally Posted By: Joe90_guy
Avoid this oil like the plague!

It contains PIBSA as a VW AK6 seal fix.

Hi Joe90,

are you talking about the VR1?

Sorry, what is PIBSA and AK6?

Cheers,
SR5

Hi FordCapriDriver,

In Australia we can get a Shell Helix HX7 K 15W-50 semi-synthetic high mileage oil for older cars (including carb'd cars).

It's API SL and ACEA A3/B4, and they say it contains extra zinc anti-wear agents.

It's also about half the price of the Valvoline VR-1.

I have also heard of a Shell Helix HX5 K 25W-60 mineral oil that is API SL and also contains extra anti-wear agents. But I have never seen it here.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-...Recommendations

Can you get HX7 K 15W-50 with extra zinc? It's quite an affordable option here.

SR5 , I'm not sure i can get HX7 But i think i will keep using HX3 or VR1 for now since to be honest the price is nearly the same.

fdgc27 , the Capri is definetly more rare in the US , There are over 6000 Capris still known in existence in the UK alone and more are being put back on the road all the time since some of the rare models like the RS 3100 Road version are starting to fetch nearly 70.000$ and the race versions are going for over 200.000$ ,my Capri specifically is pretty rare though since i've spoken to experts who have told me only about 800 like mine were made out of 1.886.647 Capris made, i've had my Capri valued by experts and they said mine probably would be worth more than 20.000 Dollars if restored to showroom condition

I think i've foudn just the right oil for my Capri
it's by a company called Comma and it's a Mineral 20w50 specially designed for classics the API rating is SE Which is from 1971 to 1979 and since my Capri is a 75 i would think a 70s oil would be right for a 70s car right?
smile.gif
it's also cheap as dirt only costing 27 Euros for 5 Liters and i have heard good things about it , it's also just a 10 minute drive from my house!
Some info about it :

"Specially blended for Classic Cars from the 60's, 70's and
80's where an oil of this quality and viscosity is
recommended by the manufacturer."

Density @ 20⁰C 0.875 g/cm3
Viscosity @ 100⁰C 17.5 cSt
Viscosity @ 40⁰C 150 cSt
Viscosity Index 120
Viscosity CCS @ -15⁰C 8000 cP
Sulphated Ash Mass 1.1%
Zinc 0.08%
Calcium 0.22%