Will using 0w20 void my Warrenty on my 2013 Hyunda

Status
Not open for further replies.
My believe is a 0W20 Oil of any brand is always better than a 5W20 Oil since a 0W20 has to be synthetic,
I have a 2013 Hyundai Sonata and I would like to use a 0W20 specifically TGMO however I am concerned that it might void my warrenty.
I looked and I didn't see any other subjects like this hopefully I am not repeating a common question.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: DanMiller
My believe is a 0W20 Oil of any brand is always better than a 5W20 Oil since a 0W20 has to be synthetic,

Firstly you need to retune your beief, as there are 0W20 blends out there.

Secondly, you can get plenty of 5W20 synthetic, so why would you go to 0W20, just to get a synthetic ?

Mobil have some statements that their 0W20 can be used in place of 5W20, and I agree with their stance, but your warranty provide might not.

Shannow:

Do you believe those high VI 0w20's (like TGMO) would work well in say a new Ford that specs 5w20?

35.gif

You're chasing the wrong spec, imo

If you have reservations about an oil being too thin under certain circumstances, go up a grade and sleep better.

Shannow is spot on as usual. When I bought my 08 Liberty, I had spoken with Chrysler corporate about using 0W20 in it. The only choice in the owners manual is 5w20. They told me point blank anything other than 5w20 would void the engine warranty if I had on oil related problem. No exceptions, Hyundai might have the same stance. Yes we all know a 0w20 can be used in place of a 5W20, Mobil even said it on their website.

My suggestion is if you're concerned about your warranty use what the OM tells you to use.

When I had my Elantra I asked this question to Head Office they said you cannot use it, its not 5W20 go figure.
I asked them to go to the lubricant engineer, apparently they did.
You could ask them the question again.

Agreed. Use 5W-20 to avoid engine potential warranty issues.
The OP being in "winterpeg", suggests using the thinnest synthetic 5W-20 available, and block heater. If parked outside, an oil pan heater would be a help as well. Wolverine makes a quality product.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Agreed. Use 5W-20 to avoid engine potential warranty issues.
The OP being in "winterpeg", suggests using the thinnest synthetic 5W-20 available, and block heater. If parked outside, an oil pan heater would be a help as well. Wolverine makes a quality product.

Wolverine is a quality product, and their CS is second to none! I have four of their oil pan heaters, they are well worth the investment.

FYI, a synthetic 5W-20 won't be much different than it's 0W-20 version.

I'd just use 5W-20, however I can't see where the 0W-20 would void your warranty. 0W-20 is just a little better at flowing at cold start, it's the same at operating temperatures. I would use 0W-20 with no worries.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Really , there is no way for them to know you used a 0w20. I have not seen the difference on a uoa.

In the event of a major engine failure, you'd be busted if they asked to see receipts.
FWIU, Hyundai warranty administration is pretty strict.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Really , there is no way for them to know you used a 0w20. I have not seen the difference on a uoa.

In the event of a major engine failure, you'd be busted if they asked to see receipts.

Buy the 5W20 keep the receipts, then return it for the 0W20. [censored] is now covered and you can use the oil you want.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Buy the 5W20 keep the receipts, then return it for the 0W20. [censored] is now covered and you can use the oil you want.

You beat me to that one.

If you want to use the 0w20, you can. But, whether the Hyundai DEALER hassles you or not depends on your relationship with the dealer.

With GDI fuel dilution, and possible bearing issues with engine, I'd stick with a full synthetic 5w20 or even 5w30.

IMO, a 0w20 will work anywhere a 5w20 is called for. Problem is, too many automakers don't know that 0w exists.

Take a look at the pds for oils that are available to you and pick the 5w20 that gives the best cold performance. PQIA tested a bunch of blends not too long ago, so look at those too. It might be splitting hairs in real world performance, but if you sleep better running a 5w20 with your warranty and getting the most 0w20 like performance.

Havoline 5w20 syn looks pretty good, btw.

SM / GF-4 or above (SN / GF-5)
If SM cannot be found in your country, SL can be used. (So permitted)

5w20
5w30
10w30

Per Owner's Manual for non-turbo ThetaII 2.4L GDi.

Walmart receipts don't always print the viscosity, worth a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back