Is Toyota going to buy Mazda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Trav enough with the insults and attacks. Why would I want to torment you, I don't know you and you don't matter to me. I'm a "POS with a dark soul". Wow. Apparently you take any viewpoint that doesn't agree with yours as an affront to your identity. I don't have time for people who view themselves as almighty and respond to intellectual debate and conversation with personal insults. Have a good one,lol.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zach1900

Blah blah blah. I'm sure Toyota is happy being the most valuable car maker in the world, they don't need anything from Mazda, "we're the most valuable car maker in the world, by far, but schucks we need Mazda's prowess" lol

I always enjoy reading posts about M&A from people who don't know anything about M&A, which is pretty much this whole thread. But your posts stand out with a particularly significant level of ignorance.

I don't care for Mazda's and I would not buy one, but that doesn't make me blind to their value for a company like Toyota. I can tell you what they have that Toyota doesn't, and it's something Toyota is desperate to get. Young buyers. You might have noticed Toyota tried to create their own Mazdalike brand, called Scion, it has not been deemed successful.

The average Toyota buyer is 62. Average Mazda buyer, I saw conflicting numbers, around mid 40's. Being a old man's car is a road to becoming the next Buick. Toyota may or may not want Mazda, but I can tell you they definitely want their buyers.

Call it whatever you want- personality, style, attitude, but the cars I drive have to make me smile when I get behind the wheel.
But that's just me.

Mazda finally got their parts delivery system somewhat normalized, so it would make sense for someone else to come in and screw it all up. The latest recall on the Mexican build 3 gas tanks is a total cluster from the parts department's perspective, the replacement gas tanks are missing the recalled component.

I think the best fit for Mazda would be Mitsubishi the reason why is that Mitsubishi is a huge conglomerate that has a ton of cash and resources to help back the company. I think you would then see the Mitsubishi name disappear from the passenger car and truck line up disappear. their industrial products and trucks would of course retain the the Mitsu name.

Originally Posted By: SkyActivG
It seems as though Mazda is great in sales, now that it's away from Ford, but with all the other competeting brands, it's struggling. I have known about the Mazda Toyota alliance since the announcement of the Mazda2 being a Scion iA. Then there's rumors of a FR-S based off of the Miata.

If your "rumors" are based on Mazda building the Scion iA, then does that mean that Fiat is going to buy Mazda too, because Mazda is building the Fiat 124 Spyder, using the Miata chassis?

http://www.fiatusa.com/en/spider/

Did GM buy Toyota when the Pontiac Vibe, of the Geo/Chevy Prism was being sold?
Nope, didn't happen.

It's just a business arrangement so that Mazda is able to build and sell more cars at their plants, and get larger discounts on parts that are now bought in larger numbers than before.

Mazda is building and selling more cars per year across the world than they have in decades. No one is buying them anytime soon.

Think of all the other car companies that were put out of business in the past 10+ years.
No one saved Pontiac, Saturn, Mercury, Oldsmobile, or even Plymouth if you want to go back further, and most of those companies have long name recognition.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Joe90_guy
Mazda taking on Mitsubishi?

Isn't that a bit like having Italy on your side when the next war breaks out?

Very possible. I think it could work if done right.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
I think the best fit for Mazda would be Mitsubishi the reason why is that Mitsubishi is a huge conglomerate that has a ton of cash and resources to help back the company. I think you would then see the Mitsubishi name disappear from the passenger car and truck line up disappear. their industrial products and trucks would of course retain the the Mitsu name.

"Mazda" is a cooler sounding name than "Mitsubishi" in my view, I admit partly because I think of WWII arms when hearing Mitsubishi. For consumer cars/SUVs, the Mazda name works in a marketing sense. Therefore, any merger of Mazda-Mitsubishi would need to maximize product appeal around the world while combining engineering resources and manufacturing commonality for economy of scale benefits.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
The higher the volume a car maker is, the harder it is to be stylish. After all, at some point there are so many Camrys and Corollas on the road and we see them so much, they begin to look bland. GM had a similar issue when they we king of the road. I agree TM could use a bit more style, but I have a feeling, after seeing them EVERYWHERE, they too would seem bland.

BTW, look at the 2014 Malibu.....looks like a 2014 Accord without the sexy curves and over-sized brake lights...

I once had an idea about rarity having an effect on style.

I said "Suppose the R34 GT-R became commonplace on all the roads in the USA. Would it look beautiful, or would it look like a fancy 2-door Honda Accord?" and that was an experiment.

Obviously rarity doesn't always mean beauty. The Pontiac Aztek is headed to extinction and almost nobody cares.

Originally Posted By: dlayman

Neither Mazda or Toyota cars or washing machines have any personalities. They're all inanimate objects. Specic design elements may trigger certain emotional reantions in their owners, but that's due to the owner's personality not the object's. I've never understood the thought process of assigning human characteristics to inanimate objects.

"personality: attractive qualities that make something unusual or interesting"[1]

Don't blame us because you're ignorant of the meaning of a word.

robert

[1] http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/personality

My belief has been that it's not the actual car that is the object of attachment. Emotions are confusing. I think it's the freedom and mobility represented by the vehicle. Granted, just about anything that requires your time and attention can become an object of affection, but even though many love their cars I don't think they really get them confused with living beings.

In the days of westward expansion horse thievery could be a capital offense. In many situations, stealing a person's horse (means of transportation) could have fatal results. Cars are like modern day horses, though they produce less smelly (though, more harmful) waste.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Originally Posted By: Trav
A decent looking car for one thing. Toyota cars have as much personality as a washing machine.

Neither Mazda or Toyota cars or washing machines have any personalities. They're all inanimate objects. Specic design elements may trigger certain emotional reantions in their owners, but that's due to the owner's personality not the object's. I've never understood the thought process of assigning human characteristics to inanimate objects.

If someone had to explain, you probably wouldn't understand LOL.

I understand just fine, the "lack of personality" refers to bland styling and mediocre driving dynamics, etc. Mazda or Jag or whatever might be better in those areas; they still don't have personalities. It's a pet peeve and a general concern of mine when people start blurring the lines between people and objects, and I don't think it's a healthy thing to do. Maybe just a difference in semantics. Or the scientist in me being bothered by incorrect technicalities.

Some people use the "it's got personality" or "it has soul" notion to justify their purchase...

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Not you the cars for cripe sake..

LOL. If you have to explain...

People who say this usually can't explain it themselves...

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
A decent looking car for one thing. Toyota cars have as much personality as a washing machine.

True....seems they all have the same front end now....

The Spindle Grille that Lexus uses... bleh.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel

Have they distanced themselves from Chrysler Fiat?

Thought Mitsubishi almost went the way of.

- Isuzu
- Suzuki (no more Swift, folks)
- Geo
- Renault
- Sterling
- Daihatsu
- Peugeot
- Plymouth
- Eagle
- Hummer
- Pontiac
- Oldsmobile
- Mercury
- Saturn

my 2003 base model tundra is boring to look at and drive but 12 years with no problems or trips to the dealer has to count for something

Originally Posted By: grampi

Some people use the "it's got personality" or "it has soul" notion to justify their purchase...

Originally Posted By: robertcope

"personality: attractive qualities that make something unusual or interesting"[1]

Don't blame us because you're ignorant of the meaning of a word.

robert

[1] http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/personality

I'm smart enough to know inanimate objects don't have personalities...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back