08 Civic si valvetrain pics - 75k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: zeng
Is it camera effects ? ..... had observed grayish/darkish streaks along most of the 24 cam lobes .... care to confirm it was actually stain free ?

If you are talking about the outsides of the lobes being less shiny than the centre, that's perfectly normal as that does not contact anything, whilst the wider shiny section in the centre is the surface that is in contact with the rocker, roller or whatever interfacing method Honda has chosen for this engine.

That looks good! Don't they have the MM in Canada?

But then again you did need to adjust the valves at 50k. I thought they'd at least last longer than that!

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
That looks good! Don't they have the MM in Canada?

But then again you did need to adjust the valves at 50k. I thought they'd at least last longer than that!

We do have MM, but the car had Flashpro installed, and ran on MAP tune. MM only works with MAF tune. Now it is 100% stock, I took everything out 2 months ago.

I adjusted the valves at 50k, because I just bought the car and wanted to see the valvetrain. Most of them were within spec. I remember that exhaust valves were on the tighter side at that time.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Adjusting valves on a modern vehicle? Seems like a waste of time to me.

I agree, but that's the way Honda designed these engines.

Originally Posted By: Pontual
So you mix 0w20 because 0w40 is too thick for winter startup? Kk

No. The car takes 5 quarts, and I only got 4L Mobil 1 0w40.

Good for you, I said that because theres a bunch of people that truly believe that a 0w20 is much easier on start than a 0w40.

Im with you on that dgunay at -20 synthetic should be the way to go PUP or Qsud two great oils..I might be wrong buy the PUP may Clean Better but that could be marketing.. Either way they are both great oils

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
1. At which mileage did you start Mobil 1 ?
2. Which oil was used previously ?

Merk' cannot believe it... "varnish? With top shelf syns?" Lol, just busting some chops.

OP, the engine looks great. Congrats
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
OCI every 3-5K?

It's guys like you who are driving up the price of motor oil. "Want to do 10K OCI's? Fine, we'll double the price!" That's what the oil companies are saying. Meanwhile, the rest of us have to suffer with the high prices.

If you're taking the car to the track on a regular basis, I'd keep doing what you're doing. Elevated temperature and a sustained high rpm environment are hard on oil. You can extend your OCIs when you stop tracking it.

Originally Posted By: tig1
OCI every 3-5K?

It's guys like you who are driving up the price of motor oil. "Want to do 10K OCI's? Fine, we'll double the price!" That's what the oil companies are saying. Meanwhile, the rest of us have to suffer with the high prices.

Is the price of motor oil going up?

That's what the oil companies are saying. Meanwhile, the rest of us have to suffer with the high prices.

I don't know about down there, but synthetic prices have not risen nearly as fast as conventional prices over the past thirty years.

Originally Posted By: dgunay
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

What do you think?

You are wasting money?

Looks good, but why wouldn't it at conservative dino oil intervals.

Short trips (less than 5 miles one-way) + canadian weather (-10/-20c during winter) + occasional spirited driving, when the engine is fully warm indeed, I doubt that I am wasting money.

But anyways, thanks a lot for your input.

You could save a few $$ by running dino 5w-30 in the summer.
Synth just for 0w-xx in the Toronto winters.

I seriously did not realize just how bad our Toronto winters really are. -20C? That's like polar circle or something.
But please whatever you do, do not tell it to my cars. They've been fed 5w20/30 conventional oil for most of their lives and I guess it's through sheer luck and ignorance on my part that they perform flawlessly with no visible oil consumption.
I do not want them to get a taste of the good juice in fear of their refusal to work even at the hint of temperatures dipping below freezing.

Originally Posted By: dgunay
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

What do you think?

You are wasting money?

Looks good, but why wouldn't it at conservative dino oil intervals.

Short trips (less than 5 miles one-way) + canadian weather (-10/-20c during winter) + occasional spirited driving, when the engine is fully warm indeed, I doubt that I am wasting money.

I don't doubt it. Even 10,000 km gives you a very large safety margin. M1 0W40 is good for over 20,000 km in some cars.

Originally Posted By: Xeno
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Adjusting valves on a modern vehicle? Seems like a waste of time to me.

I agree, but that's the way Honda designed these engines.

wait, honda engines require valve clearance adjustment every 25000 miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back