Struggling with 2003 Camry last night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Toyota has several OEM suppliers for belts, and it differs both within and between models. Two names that come to mind are Bando and Mitsubishi.

Mitsu BOSHI, not Mitsu BISHI.

Mitsuboshi is not related to Mitsubishi.

I asked abouy beck arnley a billion times yet not one response about it. How is it? Is gates not oem then? I heard bad things about the gates. Also vikas said dont touch it but I need to replace the water pump. I heard if its dripping, it can go bad at any time and then you'd damage your engine so the dripping is already indicating I need to have it replaced.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Mitsu BOSHI, not Mitsu BISHI.

Mitsuboshi is not related to Mitsubishi.

Yep, Mitsuboshi. Sorry that was all spell-check, I swear I had it right but then it must have flipped back.

Originally Posted By: engineer20
dripping is already indicating I need to have it replaced.

If it's dripping, then yes, you do.

The dripping will get steadily worse and worse over time, so you should get this looked after as soon as you can.

Are you intending on replacing the pump yourself?

He has yet to verify the drip. Somebody showed him a crusted spot on his car.

Put a cardboard under and see if it is dripping. Run the car for 15 minutes and check the cardboard. Find out if you are losing any anti-freeze.

Will do, but what about beck arnley? i heard from some other forums conflicting things ,but I heard it could potentially be no good but it's supposed to be oe spec

Originally Posted By: engineer20
Will do, but what about beck arnley

What is the difference in price between Beck/Arnley and Aisin?

OP needs to stop with the giant walls of text for each his posts. Wading through them to find the random interspersed questions is giving me cancer.

I typically buy my major parts from the dealer. Typically about the same price and typically have a chance of lasting a lot longer. Just my opinion. Some of the auto store brands are OK but some you'll replace 4 times more often than dealer parts. Alternators and water pumps are both things I've had OE last 200k put in a parts store brand and have them burn out after 20k. And I "save" $50.

Also, water pumps are somewhat of a pain to work on. I'm not familiar with Camrys. Do you need a tool to release the tension on the serpentine belt? You'll have to remove the belts. You seem to bring your car a lot of mechanic places. Just have them do it. It'd be about $200 in labor. A new car payment would be $400/month. Still cheaper than new car.

I don't think new car payment would be $400. That barely covers $17K car on 4 year loan :-( Average selling price of a new car is closer to $30K. You would be looking at $700 per month in payment.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
OP needs to stop with the giant walls of text for each his posts.

Can you imagine reading all that plus everybody else's posts ? I wonder if anybody has.

His writing style, combined with his inability to ever actually perform any of the recommended work on the car, combined with the lack of desire to take the car to a mechanic reminds me of another forum member that keeps getting banned.

The only thing he hasn't done yet is start posting videos since those are easier to post on the forum than images.

BC.

This guy is hilarious... starting with ball joints and asks how to remove a tire. Later on he wants to DIY the timing belt and water pump. Meanwhile he probably doesn't own a breaker bar, let alone an impact wrench.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

The only thing he hasn't done yet is start posting videos since those are easier to post on the forum than images.
BC.
I am curious to know why you believe that.

Shamelessly copied from another forum:- It took me less than 60 seconds to google this.
=======================================

DIY: 2.4L 4cly (2AZ-FE) Water Pump and Drive Belt Replacement (Many Pictures)

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/104-5t...replacment.html

Some key points taken from that URL

"
Applications
2002–2009 Toyota Camry

Time Required
It took me 6 hours from start to finish, including time to take photos, and lunch. But it took me another hour to clean up. I think it could be done in about 3 hour.
"

Please raise your hand if you think E20 should tackle this job.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas

I'd like to see a video tape of E20 doing anything on his car. I need a good chuckle.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
His writing style, combined with his inability to ever actually perform any of the recommended work on the car, combined with the lack of desire to take the car to a mechanic reminds me of another forum member that keeps getting banned.

Let's take stock of what's actually happened in this thread:
  • Attempts to remove wheel: FAIL
  • Attempts to remove ball joint: FAIL
  • Attempts to find mirror: FAIL
  • Attempts to replace washer pump motor: SUCCESS (apparently)
  • Retorque valve cover: NOT DONE (apparently)
  • Attempts to diagnose water pump: FAIL (so far)
Did I miss anything?

Yep, Tegger, you missed the attempt to communicate in clear, concise English.

His lack of grammar, spelling, punctuation, capitalization and organization make that a Fail, too...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas

>saws hand off so it can't even accidentally be raised<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back