Dex VI in Prius

Good idea? Bad Idea? There's a lot of discussion about this 'round the internets with varying opinions.

-Yes, I know Toyota specs their "WS" fluid.
-No, I don't (and neither do you) know if WS has magical properties that allow it to protect electric motor windings. Toyota used T-IV in the first generation Prius transaxles. Is that magically electric motor safe too? Nobody knows. I'm high skeptical about both.

Are you trying to use Dex VI to prove a point, or are you trying to save the $1/qt price difference between the two?

If WS and MaxLife were the same price I might go with WS. I'm pretty sure that's not the case so I'd go with MaxLife and do a few UOA to monitor the condition.

Excellent choice and in our collective opinion worth proving a point to the forum members.

Please post your +ve results and make us happy!!!

Forgot to mention:

I've had the fluid in there for a little over 30,000 miles. No UOA results or anything, but I averaged 55-57 MPG traveling the Florida Keys on a recent vacation trip. Averaged 48.5 MPG on the highway doing 78 MPH with cruise control set.

It's actually WPP produced Dexron VI, but Advance Auto Parts branded.

Just wanted to add that I've had cheap Dexron VI in my Prius' transaxle for around 70,000 miles now (110,000 miles on the vehicle). I plan to change it sometime soon but I'm really hardly worried about it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JRed
Just wanted to add that I've had cheap Dexron VI in my Prius' transaxle for around 70,000 miles now (110,000 miles on the vehicle). I plan to change it sometime soon but I'm really hardly worried about it.

Have you considered adding Lubegard Platinum? I've added it to WS and Dex VI in my 05 Prius with 110k miles. No difference I've noticed so far.

I haven't seen a problem with non-OE ATFs in Toyota's single speed hybrids.

The copper winding fear was overhyped internet bull.

Most DexronVI fluids meet or exceed JASO specs.

With any transmission, I recommended more frequent change intervals than what the auto manufacturer states, and upgrading the fluid, cooling, filtration...when possible.

Full synth Dex6 options are available. And, a drain/refill is easy to do every 30k.

Just changed out the Dex VI at 130,000 miles. Around 90k on it.

It came out dark, but didn't smell burnt or otherwise. No metal/etc in the pan.

Originally Posted By: JRed
Just changed out the Dex VI at 130,000 miles. Around 90k on it.

It came out dark, but didn't smell burnt or otherwise. No metal/etc in the pan.

What fluid did you use?

Yes I do know. WS fluid in a Prius never touches the windings or the stator assy. There in separate sealed chambers. Only section that sees fluid lubrication is the gear/final drive assy. Strictly a GL4 quality decision on what kind of lube you use.

Only place I have seen the "windings" nonsense is over at Priuschat.

I moved over to Redline D6 on my new 07 Prius at 1000 miles 8 years ago. Pulled a UOA and have stellar results. Changed the D6 every 30,000 after the initial 1000 mile change. OEM fluid was getting a little dark at 1000 miles. Latest pull was at 90,000 miles and the fluid looked, smelled brand new with 30k on it. Probably go 50k interval now.
At 100,000 miles on Redline trans runs perfet..
Love Redline.

Yeah, he never said what his Dex VI was. But an awesome WS substitute/Dex VI fluid is indeed MaxLife as Bandito440 said 2.5 years ago.

No one has anything bad to say about this full synthetic used in WS or Dex III or VI apps after years and years. But it cheap in gallon jugs at WalMart and enjoy.

I've been using whatever the cheapest Dex VI I could find is. Last time it was a mix of Castrol and Advance Auto Parts store brand Dex VI.

Originally Posted By: Raybo
WS fluid in a Prius never touches the windings or the stator assy. There in separate sealed chambers. Only section that sees fluid lubrication is the gear/final drive assy.

Only place I have seen the "windings" nonsense is over at Priuschat.

Wrong. I assure you the oil does in fact touch the windings. The top two results in Google for "prius windings oil" confirm this.

Anyhow. 160,000 miles. 120,000 of those miles are with the cheapest Dexron VI I could find.

Good to know. Some real world use is good to see.
I know not the same, but I was planning on using some Dex VI in the Scion (spec is WS) next transmission drain and fill. I used MaxLife last time.
I found 12 qts of Havoline WS on Amazon for $46, I needed 8 qts for my mom's Saturn Vue, so I figured the other 4 would work for the Scion.

I carry a LV ATF that meets both specs. I would presume that most do.
JASO 1-A
Dexron® VI
Mercon® LV y Mercon SP
Aisin Warner AW-1
Honda DW-1
Hyundai/Kia SP-IV, SP4-M Hyundai NWS-9638
JWS 3324
Mercedes MB 236.12, 236.14, 236.15 Mitsubishi SP-IV
Mitsubishi ATF J2 Mobil 3353 Nissan Matic-S Saab 93 165 147 Shell 3353 Toyota WS
ZF 6HP19, 6HP21, 6HP26, 6HP28, 6HP32

Just wanted to update this thread. Prius is close to 250k miles and I'm still running Dexron VI and doing changes every ~60k with no issues.

Thanks for that; have run D4 and D6 for 80K miles;

Not sure why there is paranoia about using another fluid; WS is an accommodation; it is not a fluid specifically matched for the eCVT IMHO.

Back