08 Civic si valvetrain pics - 75k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wanted to adjust the valves at 75k miles, and inspect the spark plugs. Only adjusted few intake valves, as the others were within spec. Previously adjusted them at 50k miles.

Oil changed every 3-5k miles. Currently use 80% M1 0W40 - 20% TGMO @ 6100 miles- longest oci ever. I am not easy on it, but not abusing it either.

xgli0m.jpg

jseq0h.jpg

What do you think?

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

What do you think?

You are wasting money?

Looks good, but why wouldn't it at conservative dino oil intervals.

Short trips (less than 5 miles one-way) + canadian weather (-10/-20c during winter) + occasional spirited driving, when the engine is fully warm indeed, I doubt that I am wasting money.

But anyways, thanks a lot for your input.

Well, I think your engine looks fine. And I find you oil mix quite intriguing. And with your description of the operating environment I think your OCI intervals are properly cautious.
Cheers!

Is it camera effects ? ..... had observed grayish/darkish streaks along most of the 24 cam lobes .... care to confirm it was actually stain free ?

My mint condition 89 Cadillac V8-5.0 with over 200,000 miles looks just as good if not better than that with 3500-5000 mile oci's using Pennzoil yellow bottle 10w30 in the winter and sometimes PHM in the summer. But that civic engine looks a lot better than most we see at the shop for rebuilds.

Originally Posted By: zeng
Is it camera effects ? ..... had observed grayish/darkish streaks along most of the 24 cam lobes .... care to confirm it was actually stain free ?

Sorry forgot to mention. It's not stain free, I took the photo after the adjustment.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
My mint condition 89 Cadillac V8-5.0 with over 200,000 miles looks just as good if not better than that with 3500-5000 mile oci's using Pennzoil yellow bottle 10w30 in the winter and sometimes PHM in the summer. But that civic engine looks a lot better than most we see at the shop for rebuilds.

Thanks for your input

We better use synthetics during winter, as we see -20's frequently.

I will be using PUP 5w30 (for winter), and then PYB 10W30 (for summer).

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
1. At which mileage did you start Mobil 1 ?
2. Which oil was used previously ?

Started to use mobil 1 at 69k
Previously used PP 5W30, BC 0W40 and GC 0W30 respectively

Bought it used at 51k miles, two years ago

Originally Posted By: dgunay

Which oil do like the best out of those four?

At 300K miles, I lifted the valve cover for the first time ever in the 150K I put on an unknown history. Dino 20w50 switching to 10w40 for winter. Most 3k OCI. I tightened the valve lash and scooped about a 1/4 cup of sludge out of a corner. Some varnish but not excessive.

A few yrs ago, I replaced the #4 exhaust valves on a '99 CRV of DIL's. Your pics reminded me of that job.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

What do you think?

You are wasting money?

Looks good, but why wouldn't it at conservative dino oil intervals.

Short trips (less than 5 miles one-way) + canadian weather (-10/-20c during winter) + occasional spirited driving, when the engine is fully warm indeed, I doubt that I am wasting money.

But anyways, thanks a lot for your input.
def wasting money, 3-5k? any dino could handle that, even with that so called "short tripping".

I do spirited driving within a minute of starting my car, rather cold or not, have seen no ILL effects, and I rebuild the engines, so I have seen the internals.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Which oil do like the best out of those four?

Well, I haven't taken a sample for UOA yet. All of them are great oils but I've extended the OCI with Mobil 1 a little bit. It has been my daily driver, but this OCI includes 3+ hr track sessions, unlike the others.

What I didn't like is, I got more valvetrain noise with PP 5W30, especially after few WOT runs. PP/PUP 5W30 is more suitable for winter/daily driving because it's one of the lightest w30s on the market, and it has great cold start properties.

Let see, "wasting money" followed by "spirited driving" ...

I think you are doing great. The motor looks great and at that rate should easily go over 200K.

Yeah, you could extend the OCI (maybe) at what cost to the health of the motor beyond as the miles pile up? Oil is cheap, motors not so much ...

Do you have room to fit an over-sized filter element? It adds a bit of capacity, and cooling area in the summer, and of course more filter media
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Let see, "wasting money" followed by "spirited driving" ...

I think you are doing great. The motor looks great and at that rate should easily go over 200K.

Yeah, you could extend the OCI (maybe) at what cost to the health of the motor beyond as the miles pile up? Oil is cheap, motors not so much ...

Do you have room to fit an over-sized filter element? It adds a bit of capacity, and cooling area in the summer, and of course more filter media
smile.gif

Thanks and I agree with you. Surprisingly, the car has literally zero oil consumption between oil change intervals. Some SI owners even with lower mileage add 1qt every 1-2k miles.

I have been using s2000 oil filter, which is an oversized version of regular Honda oil filters.

Give him a break, these high output high rpm engines deserve no less than synthetics in them. Looks good, i have a 05 k20z1 in my 2004 ex civic, changing it every 5k with pp
smile.gif

Sorry forgot to mention. It's not stain free, I took the photo after the adjustment.

I consider this stain/discoloration as a sign of 'distress' expressed by the cam lobes , despite synthetics at 3 to 5K oci.

Trying to figure out as to why is the case ?
confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back