Do you like new vehicles styling direction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most new vehicles have very high belt line and very narrow windows, the outward view from driver seat is very limited not like 15-20 years ago.

Nissan EV Concept(possible 2017 Leaf):

nissan_ids_concept_tokyo2015_08_large.jpg

1990 Toyota Camry:

1280px-1987-1990_Toyota_Camry_LE_sedan_01.jpg

I am really disturbed at many new cars, especially the Japanese ones.

Ford is doing a decent job dealing with the side-impact standards that are messing with styling, vision, and impairing other design elements (just an observation, not a Ford owner). Toyota/Lexus is really getting it wrong. I am going to keep our 10 year old Lexus in service a lot longer than planned because of this trend.

Also planning next year to get an older used vehicle than I planned because of the styling changes.

This is not progress IMO:

isphotoshop.png

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Falken
Honda has some nice looking new cars now, love the 2015 Fit look.

The 2016 Civic looks very nice and I like the size. The msrp on an LX auto is $20k.

I am sorta stuck in the 90s (my favorite era for cars) but I do like some of them. I am very traditional when it comes to what I like in a car.. Some of the swoopy curved stuff I just hate. If a car has good lines and some straight edges, I usually like it at least to some degree.

While there are some attractive cars out, I'd say generally I'm not a fan. They've become too fussy and busy looking. I'm much more a fan of the streamlined look of ~20-25 years ago. The 92 Cadillac Seville will always be among my favorites. 94 Jaguar XJ and 98 Chrysler LHS were both very pretty as well.

No. As stated above, its a real challenge to design a car with decent visibility that also meets safety standards. But some manufacturers seem to go the low-visibility route out of sheer perversity. Range Rover and Subaru Veloster, for example.

I pulled up behind an older BMW the other day and I could just about read the license plate of the car ahead of him. That's just about right.

Most I hate. They all look the same. Flea market led light kits,angry grill,bubble shaped body/pregnant roller-skate look,cheap sleazy interiors. Looks like they all came out of the same mass produced mold. Super cheap hardware. Feels like if you open the doors too rough you'll pull them right off. Too must sleazy plastic "bling" garbage. Cars have no individual soul anymore.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Most I hate. They all look the same. Flea market led light kits,angry grill,bubble shaped body/pregnant roller-skate look,cheap sleazy interiors. Looks like they all came out of the same mass produced mold. Super cheap hardware. Feels like if you open the doors too rough you'll pull them right off. Too must sleazy plastic "bling" garbage. Cars have no individual soul anymore.

Well said, and I agree!
I hate the LED fad a lot, they look so dumb.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
I am really disturbed at many new cars, especially the Japanese ones.

isphotoshop.png

well, people complained about toyota cars having no personality, so they fixed that.

Hate it. I went from an 86 Crown Vic to a 95 Grand Marquis to a 2012 Hyundai Accent hatchback. The prominent ridge on the sides looks so contrived. It has horrible blindspots at the A and C pillars. The A-pillar made it hard to see pedestrians. Parking in reverse and changing lanes to the right was a nightmare. I had to spend way too much time looking over my shoulder, not enough time watching what was in front of me. Convex side mirrors and an extra-wide rearview mirror didn't help enough.

After four years of people cutting me off in traffic when I wasn't cutting them off, I felt like I was going to die soon in that car. Sold it and bought my current Crown Vic. What a difference... I can see where I'm going again!

Originally Posted By: shiny
Hate it. I went from an 86 Crown Vic to a 95 Grand Marquis to a 2012 Hyundai Accent hatchback. The prominent ridge on the sides looks so contrived. It has horrible blindspots at the A and C pillars. The A-pillar made it hard to see pedestrians. Parking in reverse and changing lanes to the right was a nightmare. I had to spend way too much time looking over my shoulder, not enough time watching what was in front of me. Convex side mirrors and an extra-wide rearview mirror didn't help enough.

low windshield attack angle of modern cars with good aerodynamics will do it. i have the same problem in a different car.

I'm so thrilled with the look of today's cars, that I'm going to keep driving my 2004 model, a few years longer than even I expected.

More important than what a car looks like,

BLIND SPOTS ARE A SAFETY ISSUE!

I have not been responsible for an Auto accident in 40+ years driving.
In fact I pride myself on being able to avoid accidents when others make mystakes.
But driving modern cars with huge 'A' pillar, rear view mirror, and 'C' pillar blind spots REALLY frightens me.

Also:
I remember,as a kid I could tell the make and model of just about any car, at a glance, even in the dark.

Lately I would have to see the makers logo of two cars just to tell them apart, they look so much the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back