General Atlimax RT43 - 5k mile - 1st snow w/pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put the General Altimax RT43 on my taurus soon after the Memorial Day DTD tire deal. I got them for $280 shipped to my door. We got our first snow fall yesterday of 8" with a lot of slush and slick roads.

Frist 5,000 miles.

The tires have excellent wet and dry traction. Very little slippage or hydroplaning in heavy down pours. The tires really absorb alot of the imperfections in the road and make for a smooth ride. They are much more quiet than the firestone tires they replaced. I'm going to get them rotated within the next week. Minimal wear so far.

Snow...
One of the reason I went with this tire is because it had to be good in snow. The funds are not here for a set of snow tires this year. Yesterday we had our first snow fall and had to drive on slushy slick roads. I'm glad to report, these tires did excellent. The tires grabbed the road and had little problem getting moving. At one point I was behind a school bus and got stopped on the bottom of a hill. I was able to get started with minimal slippage. At the end of our street there is a stop sign on a steep hill, just for the heck of it I tried it out. I never use to be able to make it up the road due to that stop sign and usually had to go around the block. The traction control kicked in and there was some spinning/slipping at first but I was able to take off from the stop sign. Impressive. When it comes to stopping, they did pretty good. Of course not as well as a dedicated winter tire but Id say the stopping distance was very acceptable. These tires clean out pretty well and leave a good mark in the snow. I'm very happy with these tires. Best tires I've had on a car so far - better than the firestone fr710, continental procontact (oem focus) and even the cooper CS4 I've had in the past imo...
eek.gif
Havent tried the CS5 and probably wont as these tires are cheaper.

In summary. The General Altimax RT43
01.gif
01.gif

I have 5k miles on my RT43's too. I did a little snow driving last weekend and yes, they're awesome.

71o8zo.jpg

Per the 11-15 issue of Consumer Reports the snow performance on the RT43 depends on the speed rating of the tire.

H rating is good in snow
T rating is excellent in snow

Originally Posted By: wymi516
Why does the speed rating affect snow performance?

H/V rated tires use a harder/more stiff rubber compound than the T rated.

I'll know for sure next year as I'm putting a set on my focus that takes H rated tires. Unless I can find CS5 ultra touring for cheaper.

Great tires,I have a set on one vehicle and eventually they all will get them. "Sooner or later you'll own Generals"!

I have bought 14 consecutive Generals now and they will be my next tire purchase. I'm sold.

I have a set of 4 Altimax RT43's on the KIA, they have about 23k on them now they still look nearly new.

I put a set of the General Altimax RT43's on my 2010 Impala last spring. They won't ever see snow because I live in Southern California, but they ride smoother and handle better than the Goodyear Integrity's that came on it from the factory. I would buy them again when I need tires for something else.

Have the RT43's on my Mercury Sable and they are very good in snow and rain. Ride is quite good but softer than I like. They are not performance oriented tires and don't handle well when pushed. Everyday gentle driving is very good though.

Originally Posted By: ronbo
Per the 11-15 issue of Consumer Reports the snow performance on the RT43 depends on the speed rating of the tire.

H rating is good in snow

Granted most owners report the RT43 are good in snow but CR tests are not trustworthy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Reggaemon
Granted most owners report the RT43 are good in snow but CR tests are not trustworthy.

Why do you say so?
Limited in scope - yes. Not trustworthy - no.

Krzys

Originally Posted By: Reggaemon
Originally Posted By: ronbo

H rating is good in snow

Strongly disagree. CR has a 320 acre test track in the State of Connecticut. They buy tires , put them on vehicles and test.

We noticed our RT43's (T rated I think, I recall going down a speed rating) had much better snow traction than Michelin Energies and Primacies. And so far are showing much improved treadlife to boot. Have every intention at this time of sticking with this tire going forward.

We bought a set of these for my daughter's Impreza as I strongly suspected that the OEM tires were [censored] and wanted to help her be safe in mild winter conditions. She should not be driving to school in the middle of storms, but the roads around here can be [censored] even after treatment and it sometimes snows unexpectedly in the middle of school days, too.
I noticed that CR gave good winter marks to the T rated version (which we got for her 140HP car) and am glad to see that drivers here like them, too. I agree that CR's testing for winter performance gives a limited view as it is so specific, but I still take it as good input for figuring out what to expect from a tire in ice and snow.

Last edited:
Nick, I have the the same color 2000 Toyota Camry with tinted windows and General RT43's also!!! lol I"ve had my RT43's for 28,000 miles and generally run them at 35psi (vs. 30 on stated on the vehicle placard). I'm just above 7/32nds with these, so tire wear is right about where it should be.

Frankly, the Hercules Tour 4.0 Plus tires I had on these prior handled better on dry roads than these do and hydroplaned about the same amount...which is not often....but the RT43's indeed do a bit better in snow. I do find when I accelerate or have to come to a quick stop with these tires that there is occasional slippage on wet roads which has surprised me given the heavily positive reviews these have received.

All in all, considering that, after rebate, I was able to have Discount Tire price match and install these with free lifetime balance and rotation for a grand total of $281.41, I really can't complain given the tremendous value.

Originally Posted By: Pokermatters
Nick, I have the the same color 2000 Toyota Camry with tinted windows and General RT43's also!!! lol I"ve had my RT43's for 28,000 miles and generally run them at 35psi (vs. 30 on stated on the vehicle placard). I'm just above 7/32nds with these, so tire wear is right about where it should be.

Lol that's funny. You have the 2.2L or 3.0L?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back