Can I use 5 year old diesel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a truck that's been sitting with at least 5 year old diesel. I do start it up every few months and let it run 10-15 minutes. I need to replace the fuel tank and have drained and filtered about 10 gallons of fuel. Looks perfectly clean. Can I reuse it? Does it go bad? Truck runs fine with it.

If it is clear and doesn't show signs of gelling, I see no reason not to use it. You might want to use it mixed with fresh, 10% old with 90% new. But......As long as there is no moisture (Water), it should be fine.

My dad has a trencher tractor that he uses every 5 to 10 years and we never drain the fuel or add fresh fuel. Just run it till it needs more fuel and never had a problem.

Originally Posted By: atikovi
So how would I dispose of it?

Perhaps dump it in an oil furnace tank.

Diesel isn't gasoline, it doesn't tend to self oxidize and lose its lighter fractions to evaporation. The bigger issue is bacterial growth. As others have said, if its clear (not cloudy, no sediment) than it should be fine to use, especially if you use it up fairly quickly and don't let it sit giving bacteria a chance to get going again. There are also anti-microbial additives you can use when diesel is going to be stored a long time.

For what it's worth, I sold a diesel pusher RV with a 300hp Cat engine in July that had been sitting since 2006 without being started even once in that time.

It got new tires, new starter batteries and a new fuel filter. Turned the key on long enough to let the electric fuel pump do its thing and, on the third crank, had the engine running.

After checking for working brakes and lights, the new owners drove it 100 miles that night without issue.

I have no idea what problems, if any, starting and driving it with that old diesel might have caused. I can only speak to the fact that it DID start and run.

I'll let the guys who actually know stuff tell you what the downsides are! :)

Larry

The biggest problem is not keeping the tank full of fuel-it's the temperature fluctuations & resulting condensation that promotes the growth of bacteria (the black sludge) at the border between the water & fuel. If you fill the tank all the way up, there's little or no air above the fuel to condense water out of.

I found that the out of service fuel oil tank in my old house still had 40 gallons in it 24 years after the oil furnace was replaced by a natural gas unit. The stuff was approximately mahogany colored, so I assumed it had varnish in it. I put 2 gallons of it in my Dodge, and it ran fine, but when I let the truck sit overnight, the fuel pump refused to run the next morning. Apparently, the fuel gummed up the pump, causing it to stick. I tapped on it with a hammer, and got it running, and added Power Service fuel treatment, and the problem hasn't recurred. I have been adding up to 15% of the old fuel oil during fillups for the last couple of months, but always with a dose of Power Service.

Maybe it's crazy, but cheapskate that I am, I just can't walk away from 800 miles worth of (nearly) free fuel.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Diesel isn't gasoline, it doesn't tend to self oxidize and lose its lighter fractions to evaporation. The bigger issue is bacterial growth. As others have said, if its clear (not cloudy, no sediment) than it should be fine to use, especially if you use it up fairly quickly and don't let it sit giving bacteria a chance to get going again. There are also anti-microbial additives you can use when diesel is going to be stored a long time.

Thank you sir!

I will add you!

I've used old fuel quite a few times, some of completely unknown age. I'm mindful that bacteria can grow in the interface between diesel and water though I've not ever encountered it. Theory says gum could be another problem as a fuel oxidizes but again I've not had that with old diesel. More likely gum will form in old gasoline rather than diesel.
Having said this, I'm well set up to settle and filter old fuels for recycling as diesel fuel.
If you're worried about it, drain some off the bottom of the tank. That'll be where any water, sludge, etc will accumulate. It's likely the vehicles filter will have a drain too.
Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back