Report of new Colorado Diesel mpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
I drove a few hundred km in an Oz Colorado a few weeks ago.

I think with a 2.8 auto, 26MPG is upper end of the range, 'though...this particular unit doesn mostly highway (and that trip was mostly highway), and 9l/100km was the long term average.

By way of comparison, the 3.2 auto Ranger I drive at work displays an average fuel consumption of 9.8l/100km on its trip computer. Vehicle has done 85,000km in less than 2 years, mainly highway.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
The actual cost of DEF may add between 17 and 20 cents per gallon. Depending on the vehicle and how it is operated. Not to mention the additional maintenance costs, which are substantial over time. As the systems do break down.

Put another way, a DEF equipped vehicle's owner should add 17 cents to each gallon of diesel to calculate direct operational costs.

And where is your math coming from?

Here is Edmund's math:

6 gallons of DEF on their Ram EcoDiesel lasted 6,858 miles. Average MPG for the truck (under mixed use, including towing) is 22.1 MPG. That averages out to 310 gallons of diesel for every 6 gallons of DEF.

Assuming DEF costs of $3.15/gallon (current price for SuperTech DEF at Wal Mart... it can be had even cheaper at larger truck stops), it costs $18.90 to top up the DEF tank.

$18.90 divided by 310 gallons of diesel adds about 6 cents of DEF to each gallon of diesel.

Unless you're mixing DEF with Chanel No. 5 or your vehicle is consuming DEF at the rate of Bud Light at a frat party, 17 cents a gallon is a little high. Not really... it's ridiculously high.

http://www.edmunds.com/ram/1500/2014/long-term-road-test/2014-ram-1500-ecodiesel-def-jam-iv.html

Correct. And I can get DEF at a local Mack truck dealership, from their bulk tank, for $1.85 a gallon. They will fill up anything that comes in... car, pickup, commercial truck, etc. That cuts the extra cost per gallon of diesel down to a very comfortable level for anyone. Just stopped into a Pilot truck stop and they had DEF at the pump for $2.75. Just stick in the nozzle, fill the DEF tank, and continue on.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Still wondering when a long bed was only 6'2" long? That's shorter than the 6'4" short bed on my Ram, the lack of an 8' bed option would be enough to kill many of the W/T buyer's interest as is. Surprising GM doesn't consider a standard cab/8 foot bed diesel, I've seen a few new Colorados & Canyons running around, they would sell.

Even though it's grown quite a bit in size from it's prior iterations, it's still no full size- or at least not marketed as such. I wouldn't expect that it would come with an 8' bed, which is the standard of all full size trucks.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Sensors going bad, filters getting clogged, sometimes dash light comes on saying Regen Required (but forcing a regen sometimes won't help). Every one of these issues can shut you down to about 25% power with a top speed of about 25 mph. The Cummins guy said there were 17 sensors in this system. The problems pop up on newer trucks, but some of the older ones will break down and leave us with thousands of dollars in roadside repairs and wrecker bills, all totally w/o warning. All the maintenance has been done too, like the 250K filter cleaning, etc. A good 75% of all our breakdowns are related to DEF. Believe me, it's not reliable.

Sensors failing, causing reduced power? That can happen on just about any powertrain system. It's not limited to DEF systems. Also you're complaining about having to clean a filter at 250 thousand miles!?.

I understand that since it's still a relatively new technology, there's going to be teething issues. Look at the first major emissions crunch on gas engines and look at where we're at now. It'll be sorted out soon- as it sits, it's already way better than it was.

250,000 on big truck is less than 2 years. Don't have any experience with light trucks, so if it lasted that long it wouldn't be a big deal. I'm telling you from experience, you don't have to agree or disagree. When the sensors fail, it comes w/o much warning and nobody knows how to fix it, so it has to go on a hook. The emissions related stuff is pretty much the only problems we're having with diesels. The EGR coolers will leak water into the engine over time too.

Last edited:
The new diesels are very reliable. Cummins, Powerstroke, Duramax. They don't have issues like they used to.

I would have to say the pickup systems seem to be a little more reliable than the systems on the commercial heavy trucks. There might be a number of factors that make seem this way. For the heavy truck side of things, the last couple years the number of semi's broke down along the roadside has gone up 2-3 fold. I see way more numbers of trucks sitting on the side with hood up nowadays. And when you consider the number of trucks taken out of the mix during this past recessionary period, the percentages of breakdowns in relation to the diminished number of available semi trucks on the road makes things look even worse. Makes me glad I chose to buy a 2013 Freightliner without a motor and then drop in a pre-emission factory rebuilt Detroit Series 60. Saves a lot of frustration. 464,000 miles on it since I dropped it in and not a hiccup from that motor.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
Originally Posted By: Cujet
The actual cost of DEF may add between 17 and 20 cents per gallon. Depending on the vehicle and how it is operated. Not to mention the additional maintenance costs, which are substantial over time. As the systems do break down.

Put another way, a DEF equipped vehicle's owner should add 17 cents to each gallon of diesel to calculate direct operational costs.

And where is your math coming from?

Here is Edmund's math:

6 gallons of DEF on their Ram EcoDiesel lasted 6,858 miles. Average MPG for the truck (under mixed use, including towing) is 22.1 MPG. That averages out to 310 gallons of diesel for every 6 gallons of DEF.

Assuming DEF costs of $3.15/gallon (current price for SuperTech DEF at Wal Mart... it can be had even cheaper at larger truck stops), it costs $18.90 to top up the DEF tank.

$18.90 divided by 310 gallons of diesel adds about 6 cents of DEF to each gallon of diesel.

Unless you're mixing DEF with Chanel No. 5 or your vehicle is consuming DEF at the rate of Bud Light at a frat party, 17 cents a gallon is a little high. Not really... it's ridiculously high.

http://www.edmunds.com/ram/1500/2014/long-term-road-test/2014-ram-1500-ecodiesel-def-jam-iv.html

I see where the Walmart SuperTech is Ansi certified but there is nothing on the label saying it's ISO 22241. Is it still OK to use in a 2013 Chevy Duramax?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back