Is Toyota going to buy Mazda

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems as though Mazda is great in sales, now that it's away from Ford, but with all the other competeting brands, it's struggling. I have known about the Mazda Toyota alliance since the announcement of the Mazda2 being a Scion iA. Then there's rumors of a FR-S based off of the Miata.

Mazda is at the top of their game with their new models which have been well-received by the press and owners alike. Although sales of their new products have been strong, they are probably not big enough to survive on their own for the long haul (competing in the current market requires that new models and technologies be in development constantly...takes big bucks to keep that up...the alternative is continuing to produce models that are eventually eclipsed by competitors...look at Mitsubishi if you're looking for an example). It's been predicted for some time that they would eventually be forced to either partner with one of the large auto companies or be purchased outright.

It might not be a bad thing. Mazda certainly has better style than Toyota an could provide Toyota with something it has been missing for decades (exception Subaru BRZ), a decent looking body. Toyota cars make decent quality but good God the lots look like an ugly abused wives convention.

The need a new Supra and MR2 style car, a twin turbo V6 in a RX platform might be just the ticket, on the other hand Mazda could get back into the small truck segment with a decent model.

Originally Posted By: Trav
It might not be a bad thing. Mazda certainly has better style than Toyota an could provide Toyota with something it has been missing for decades (exception Subaru BRZ), a decent looking body. Toyota cars make decent quality but good God the lots look like an ugly abused wives convention.

The need a new Supra and MR2 style car, a twin turbo V6 in a RX platform might be just the ticket, on the other hand Mazda could get back into the small truck segment with a decent model.

Blah blah blah. I'm sure Toyota is happy being the most valuable car maker in the world, they don't need anything from Mazda, "we're the most valuable car maker in the world, by far, but schucks we need Mazda's prowess" lol

Being the most profitable car maker in the world, what exactly are they missing?

A decent looking car for one thing. Toyota cars have as much personality as a washing machine.

Being a Toyota fan, I totally agree. They need a head-turning, jaw-dropping car like they had in the Supra or the 7th-gen Celica.

A decent looking car for one thing. Toyota cars have as much personality as a washing machine.

Neither Mazda or Toyota cars or washing machines have any personalities. They're all inanimate objects. Specic design elements may trigger certain emotional reantions in their owners, but that's due to the owner's personality not the object's. I've never understood the thought process of assigning human characteristics to inanimate objects.

are a washing machine and a car really not tools to make life easier, and by the way my washing machine is red metalic.

Originally Posted By: dlayman

Neither Mazda or Toyota cars or washing machines have any personalities. They're all inanimate objects. Specic design elements may trigger certain emotional reantions in their owners, but that's due to the owner's personality not the object's. I've never understood the thought process of assigning human characteristics to inanimate objects.
+1

Bottom line, they are there to make money for their stock holders, nothing more, and they do that very well.

You are obviously not a car guy.

Mazda's "styling" makes my eyes hurt. If that's all they have to offer over Toyota, Mazda is S.O.L.

Toyota isn't going to "buy" Mazda. Mazda and Toyota is in the same "loose" business group.

The Japanese don’t like businesses that aren’t profitable. They want the business to make a “healthy” profit, which means enough money so you can still break even if you have a setback. They also look to the future, care for the health of the business, and unlike American investors, screw over the company for a short term stock price rise.

But it’s okay to make a few percentage points less and spend money on partnerships and other things that will build market share....things that look like an expense but translate into an investment.

I believe this is what is going on.

Mazda, is struggling on research and development, is under pressure to offer advanced environmental and safety technologies such as fuel-cell engines that run on hydrogen, as well as autonomous systems that increasingly will take over for drivers. Toyota is among the R&D leaders, so it can share with little additional cost.

Last edited:
My Camry has a great personality, it's taken me across the country a few times without so much as a hiccup, and it costs me little to nothing to maintain, and drives like a Lexus. i like its "personality" just fine!

It's far cheaper to buy designers then an entire car company for looks.

It's clear that looks don't matter in sales given top 10 selling cars.

Ever heard of industrial design? It's one place a graduate with an art degree can actually make money, if you are a good one. The great industrial designers in the past made functional look fantastic.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
My Camry has a great personality, it's taken me across the country a few times without so much as a hiccup, and it costs me little to nothing to maintain, and drives like a Lexus. i like its "personality" just fine!

If its an appliance your looking for then look no further, its a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back