Louvers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Louvers were from the SEVENTIES, and went out-of-fashion in the eighties.

As far as I remember, some '60s/'70s exotics (Lamborghini comes to mind) had louvers over their rear engine. This was to help with engine cooling.

Somebody thought they would look cool on cars that didn't have rear engines, and a styling trend was born. I remember a lot of 2nd-Generation Camaros with them. I thought they looked tacky, like racing stripes on a Chevette.

Louvers were huge in the 80's! Every Camaro, Mustang, Daytona/Laser, Charger/Turismo had them.

The purpose of rear window louvers is to keep the back glass of a car from becoming a greenhouse. You can thank Larry Shinoda for making those popular with the BOSS Mustangs.

If you're talking about louvers in the body work, yes, they do work and serve a purpose. Ask most Jeep owners who have them, and they'll tell you all about the cooling benefits. I'm one.

louvers over back glass made a huge difference. they could look pretty good too. black 80's celicas come to mind, or the old conquest tsi. we had a 89 crx.... too small for louvers to look good on, but it certainly could have benefited from it. it got HOT in that car.

Those louvers are good for + 10 mph on the top end.
15.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back