2008 Accord Battery Group 51R or 24F

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story short I needed a new battery in my accord I4. Fitting as the snow is just starting to fall in Chicago.

Oem size is 51R 500CCA
IMAG0925.jpg

I put in a 24F 750CCA
IMAG0928.jpg

Full thread HERE if you would like to follow.

Last edited:
Will this hurt any electronics or damage anything over time? Thinking of doing the same thing in my Accord.

When it came to battery time, I always put in the largest battery I could fit in there. It will not hurt electronics as was posted before.

From looking at the pics, he needs to do a better job at keeping the battery and connections clean. I don't even let my riding mower get that cruddy.

The hard plastic surround that was over the old battery looks like it is mis-sized. Sure the original battery wasn't larger?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
The hard plastic surround that was over the old battery looks like it is mis-sized. Sure the original battery wasn't larger?

But look at the hold down it seems that there is a hold down clamp not welded to the hold down at the edge of the plastic surround but an inch or two in. And with the new battery the hold down clamp is now pushing down on the top rather than clamping the edge.

Did the same thing on my Accord.
It had as OE, the little rinky dink 51 with about 400CCA.
When it got below 20 degrees F, it was hard to start.
So I ordered a 24 Gold on line and went in for them to install it.
The installer went nuts, stating that that was the wrong battery because the hold down wouldn't fit (however there was more than ample room for the 24.). He wanted to put another 51 in it. I refused.
I said "It will when I get done with it." I then grabbed a pliers off his little cart and bent the tab back on the hold down (like you did) that was holding the 51 in place, and gave it back to him. He balked but put it on and the battery held strong. Worst case scenario, I would have gone in the store and bought a universal battery hold-down and used that.
Hold down fit fine, and the car starts stronger, now that the battery is properly sized.
I was told (by a tech @ the dealer) that Honda switched to the 24 size battery on the Accords midyear during the '12 run because of complaints (not sure of the accuracy of that statement but it seems logical.)

Just buy a group 24 hold down for a V6 Accord. I bet it would fit perfectly- I've got a 2010 Accord Crosstour in now that needs a battery cable, and the hold down looks like yours but without the lip to hold the smaller battery.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Will this hurt any electronics or damage anything over time? Thinking of doing the same thing in my Accord.

No. Everything in your car only draws as much current as they need so a higher current battery won't damage any electronics in your car.

What is largest battery size that fit 2014 Accord 4-cyl ? I think OEM is 51R(L: 9.4" x W: 5.1" x H: 8.8").

Does 24F or 34R or 35 fit the battery stray ?

24F: 10.3” x 6.8” x 8.9”
34R: 10.3” x 6.8” x 7.9”
35: 9.1” x 6.9” x 8.9”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back