the oil burning saturn sl1 with sludge pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jmaster
cool, i'll pick up some carb cleaner and spray around there. then also there is a miss-fire only at idle, would this be attributed to the intake gasket leak or the coils? i replaced the plugs and wires and the miss still occurs randomly.

i drained and filled the trans(4 speed) twice with 8 quarts total of maxlife and replaced the oem spin on filter with a wix. the last time it was serviced was 60,000 miles and only 4 quarts were replaced so there were 3 quarts of original fluid in there. should i do another drain and fill? the fluid was dark the second time draining it but now it looks and smells clean on the dipstick.

Referral was to see if the intake gasket is leaking.

Two drain & fills was good and your dipstick check looks like it's sufficient.

so the OCI was extended on conventional... that looks like one of those we don't need to change the oil since I'm adding oil cars.

I wouldnt touch it .. if it fails.. even if its not related to anything you did.. it will be your fault.

Its a 16 year old engine with spaceship mileage on it, if it runs fine just drive it and change the oil.

All your going to achieve by "cleaning" it is possible knocking something lose.

One quart per 1.5k to 2k is actually quite good for your vintage and miles. I wish mine was that good. Just clean the inside of the valve cover, button it back up. Do 4k oil change intervals with Supertech or similar. I would forget the piston soak. You have done the fixed orifice PVC. My advice would be to not waste too much time or money on this engine. Fix what is wrong, like intake gasket, put in NGK plugs, use the brass ECTS, and if you want the auto trans, and trans valve body to last use Amsoil Torque Drive. Some SL1's crack the cyl head, so be on the lookout for that. My son's did it at 174k.

Originally Posted By: I_4
One quart per 1.5k to 2k is actually quite good for your vintage and miles. I wish mine was that good. Just clean the inside of the valve cover, button it back up. Do 4k oil change intervals with Supertech or similar. I would forget the piston soak. You have done the fixed orifice PVC. My advice would be to not waste too much time or money on this engine. Fix what is wrong, like intake gasket, put in NGK plugs, use the brass ECTS, and if you want the auto trans, and trans valve body to last use Amsoil Torque Drive. Some SL1's crack the cyl head, so be on the lookout for that. My son's did it at 174k.

Agreeing with that, leave as much as possible alone. Then, change oil to M1 High Mileage 5w-30 full synthetic, or Valvoline Maxlife, either one. After that, never change the oil. Just change the oil filter every 6 months and keep the oil level up with whatever full synthetic high mileage oil you choose, replenishing additives every 1,600 miles or so with the make-up quart you add. Convenient and the synthetic will hold up with the top-offs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back