Which do you like more: spinach or kale?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: BRZED
I plan on making stuffed kale rolls some time soon. Similar to cabbage rolls, but made with kale. If anybody is interested, I'll take some pictures. Or maybe I'll post pictures even if nobody wants to see them.

for a different taste also try grape leaves. you want the medium ones not baby (too fragile) not too adult (too hard/leathery)

I love grilled grape leaf-wrapped goat cheese with ham!
20.gif

I like both for different reasons/recipes. Our kale patch was ravaged by a groundhog this year, so we had to buy kale from the farmer's market, but our spinach was left alone.

Either cooked up with a lot of garlic, and a little oil, salt and pepper is my favorite, but we use spinach especially all sorts of different ways.

I'd rank chard and beet greens over either of those.
But to eat daily I'd choose spinach over kale because kale is a bit tough for daily consumption. Spinach is easy to work into a mouthful.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
I'd rank chard and beet greens over either of those.
But to eat daily I'd choose spinach over kale because kale is a bit tough for daily consumption. Spinach is easy to work into a mouthful.

Daily spinach, beet and chard greens may be problematic due to very high oxalic acid content. Have you ever tried finely shredded, creamed kale? I also like kale cooked with coconut milk, drizzled with pumpkin oil md served with shrimp

BRZED: is purée ing spinach and kale like I do for in smoothies better than eating spinach and kale in a salad?

Originally Posted By: car51
BRZED: is purée ing spinach and kale like I do for in smoothies better than eating spinach and kale in a salad?

Mush is for babes and other toothless folks. I think your digestive tract will purée any food other than grains, nuts and seeds just fine! Or do you produce leaf-shaped droppings?
grin2.gif

Oxalic acid may be less of a problem if combined with foods high in calcium - this way the two can bind in the guts and skip absorption.
But yes, while I can stand to eat one of spinach, chard, or beet greens every day, I don't.
Variety is good. Roughly every other day is enough.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Oxalic acid may be less of a problem if combined with foods high in calcium - this way the two can bind in the guts and skip absorption.

I would say the problem is that oxalic acid inhibits calcium absorption. Children often do not tolerate oxalic acid itself, which is why spinach is so unpopular with them. I like spinach with egg, like in a quiche, but I wouldn't eat it daily like Popeye.

I mix spinach, sweet potato, [censored] yogurt and some berries and a banana and apple and grapefruit for a nice healthy smoothie

Originally Posted By: car51
I mix spinach, sweet potato, [censored] yogurt and some berries and a banana and apple and grapefruit for a nice healthy smoothie

Funny that word was censored. At first I thought the word was greek but it was really the brand name, F-AGE. The censored word appears when you quote it.

Originally Posted By: BRZED
I would say the problem is that oxalic acid inhibits calcium absorption. ...

I thought the bigger problem with oxalates is if you absorb them they can bind calcium in urine formation in the kidneys, and potentially cause kidney stones.

But yes, oxalates will inhibit calcium absorption. Good thing our diet often has excess calcium, particularly dairy foods. This could be a reason why spinach is traditionally often combined with yogurt and cheese. Neither the oxalates nor the excess calcium get absorbed in this case when they bind in the guts.

I like them both - I'm more partial to kale. I will say this - both Trader Joe's and Organic Girl have a pretty good "super greens" salad mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back