Here's one that will make you pucker...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with repowering is you end up stuck with another 6V92 because the darn thing is so short. Replacing it with an in-line 6 means moving motor mounts, crossmembers, transmission shift lever, shortening the drive shaft, changing linkages. Better solution: put it by the curb on trash day.

The only other engine I have ever seen in an Eagle wold be a 3406 and that was shoe horned in.

They have no choice, but to spend $250k and upgrade 15 yrs and get someone elses problems to be. This is their livelyhood so they'll have to repower with another DDEC 6v92. I still think they'll get something pulled out of another coach. I dont see them spending $16k for a reman.

Cummins L10/M11?
I did a cursory search and found a coach conversion site that had a few threads talking about replacing the 6V92s in their coaches with these engines and another where someone had come across some coaches from Mexico with them already in place.

If you're going to re-power it I would think about an 8V-71. No turbo to deal with, lived forever in coach applications. They are getting harder to find but so many 6V92s got pulled due to terminal issues I wouldn't buy one unless I could run it first. By run it, I mean in a vehicle and not just on the ground.

The problem with L10/Emmy Lemons is length and lack of power. If the transmission requires DDEC to function you are just stuck.

60 Series Detroits are HUGE. 8V-92s are fairly rare compared to 6Vs. Back to putting the whole thing by the curb on trash day and writing it off to experience. Call it a bad decision tax.

Oh no, its not mine!!! I'm a Cummins guy.

I'm just kinda the advice guy...that they dont listen to.
smile.gif

I bet they do rods and mains and call it good. I still think they might have an oil cooler leak or such, but....

Bearing failure is the result of fuel dilution and coolant contamination, not the cause. If they don't find the sources of those two problems they might as well leave in the old bearings.

I used to drive for a company that had a fleet of Freightliners with 6V92 and were loaded to max weights 80,000 lbs. the engines were surprisingly powerful and quiet but the engines were a headache due to rod bearing problems from what I remember.

Originally Posted By: AITG
Bearing failure is the result of fuel dilution and coolant contamination, not the cause. If they don't find the sources of those two problems they might as well leave in the old bearings.

Yep, agreed. Guess the are going with a local DD guy tomorrow to take a peek.

I vaguely remember that there was a problem with water pump weep holes being blocked on some 92s. Since coolant couldn't drip out of the hole it went into the oil pan instead. The seal would fail and the engine would let you know it failed by blowing up.

Like I said...it wasn't Detroit Diesel's finest hour.

They went to look at it last week to move it 6 miles to a shop. Changed the oil and filter, fired it up and high idle was 20# psi. Didnt even go any further

They went and looked at a Prevost today with a 60 series in it. Think they'll pull the trigger. They'll have the Eagle hauled back home and part it out it looks like.

Bet the water pump is leaking, driven by a gear inside the crankcase.

Still plenty of Detroit screamers as emergency generators. Installed late as year 2000.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back