Mixing used engine oil with diesel fuel..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any problems with this ??? my buddy mixes 1 gallon of filtered used oil with 20 gallons of diesel fuel in his Dodge Cummins...been doing it all summer without any problems...
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by SKUNKY:
Any problems with this ??? my buddy mixes 1 gallon of filtered used oil with 20 gallons of diesel fuel in his Dodge Cummins...been doing it all summer without any problems...
dunno.gif

Diesel shops have a name for people that do that. "Repeat customers".

It tends to build up deposits on injectors.

quote:

Originally posted by SKUNKY:
dunno.gif

WHY?

Yeah the solids might be a bit high.....IF he insists maybe more dilute would be better - in theory the oil isn't the issue, it's the additives and all the accumulated crud in the oil that is the problem.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
in theory the oil isn't the issue, it's the additives and all the accumulated crud in the oil that is the problem.

I like the logic people use when they burn old crankcase oil in their automotive diesels.

"Lessee, what should I do with this cruddy old oil that's too cruddy to run in the crankcase of my $$$ die$el engine? I think I'll pump it through the fussiest most preci$e $ystem on the engine at a few thousand PSI, then burn it right at the tip$ of the injector$, yup, that sounds like a plan."
pat.gif

Cummins specifically allows running up to 3% used oil. I don't think it will cause deposits on injectors but its hard to say.
The trucking company I used to work for burned all their used motor oil. They just dumped it in the tanks after a change. I know some of the guys did it on less then a 1/2 tank of fuel, so mixes of over 10%. Never had any fuel system related problems in the 2yrs that I worked their.

Oil disposal is a big cost for larger fleets. Nobody will take it for free so it costs about $.50 a gallon if I remember right. I think the only reason the DIYer is allowed to recycle oil for free is to keep people from dumping it on the ground. If it cost $.50 to get rid of and its worth $2 a gal to burn then it might be worth the risk to some. As long as it is very clean then I wouldn't think twice about it unless you have a cat.

I let my burn oil slow filter through a motorgard before I burn it, so I know it's clean. If you don't take the time to filter it properly you can use up all your cost savings changing fuel filters.

They not only allow it, they have a system for it.

quote:

"Burn-Only" CENTINEL

A "burn-only" version of CENTINEL is a standard feature on the new ISM 425 VSP model that essentially eliminates the need for oil changes during the vehicle's ownership period, with no oil change recommended for 4,000 hours/525,000 miles. This version of CENTINEL is intended for regional carriers, LTL, pickup & delivery and vocational operations. These applications routinely see the vehicle on a daily basis where they can monitor and maintain the engine's proper oil level.

This "burn-only" integrated version of CENTINEL is a lubrication management system that blends used engine oil with diesel fuel, using an electronically controlled system that monitors the engine's duty cycle to control the blend rate. Or, simply stated, CENTINEL is an on-vehicle used-oil/fuel-blending system with fresh makeup oil added by the operator or maintenance personnel. This system will not compensate for oil removed from the lubrication system for blending; therefore, it is critical that it be used in applications that routinely see the vehicle and check the oil level. The recommended oil filter change level is 1,000 hours or 100,000 miles. The CENTINEL system consists of an oil management pump, plumbing and wiring, all engine-mounted.

http://www.heavyequipmentnews.com/hen/article.asp?article_id=52255

Gary...it's Skunky...not Stinky...and I have no other pictures...my buddy feels that it's a free gallon of fuel...he filters it through a 30 cup coffee filter...I was wondering if there is anything that could be harmed by doing this especially in the winter...so far he has not had any adverse effects thanks guys

Skunky, I think Gary was referring to another post by Stinky Peterson about new oil pictures.

I know of a guy that does this in his Mercedes 617 turbodiesel. Hasnt seemed to have any issues... but I think he dilutes it moreso.

JMH

lol.gif
offtopic.gif

Skunky, stinky....posts on "poop"

I think we need a drive to hire more females for BiTOG. Maybe they would bring some civility to the aroma here.

At least they smell nice. Most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back