A 1/2 impact that won't break the bank

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Mac awp050 that is 10 months old and quit working at work. I will get it fixed but they send it out and have it repaired so it'll be a little while. I'd like to buy a decent impact as a back up. Any suggestions?

I have Ingersol Rand 231s . They out lasted my Snapon impact gun . At work we ran the service truck compressors at 175 psi to get the work done. With a little pounding they could loosen the lugnuts on the semis. The Snap on impacts would break the hammers ot the part that held the socket.

I don't know the severity of work you do, but if you mostly work on passenger cars a rigid or kobalt will do you fine.

If it breaks, you can go get a new one same day. I have a Kobalt, it's no IR but I use it all the time. Especially now that I am taking on side work.

It's 2 years old no issues. Just keep it oiled.

this might not be the answer you are looking for but i think electric cordless impact wrenches are the way to go. There are some seriously strong ones out there that are compact and last a LONG time on a single battery charge. I love my dewalt 1/2 20v impact...It can take off honda crank pulleys bolts.

Last edited:
I'm with Trav on the Aircat. They have a surprising amount of power- I've seen them take Honda crank damper bolts off when all the big names in the shop would. As a bonus, they're surprisingly quiet too.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
I'm with Trav on the Aircat.

Without question, the Aircat is very nice.

However, it's also twice the price of the HF Earthquake; "breaking the bank" is highly subjective, and it'll be up to OP to determine that threshold.

I wish they still made the IR 231 like they use to, i still like that gun a lot. It was definitely underrated, it feels twice as powerful as its rating, I think I paid less than $100 new about 15 yrs ago and its never needed to be serviced.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I'll 3rd the hf earthquake gun.i use mine daily

+4 with the earthquake. I have the older model and it's great. As mentioned use the %20 pct coupon.

I tried a friends Earthquake, its not bad but a little low on power and definitely overweight, even the old IR 231 which a lower power gun beats it handily and the Aircat is in another class altogether, almost twice the power and almost half the weight.
This guy is a working mechanic a DIY special isn't the grade of tool best suited to his needs, the Earthquakes weight to power ratio make it a home garage unit for small stuff at best.

Then there is the warranty and repairability, this is where the HF really falls flat. 90 days with no repair kits.
Aircat has 2 yrs full parts and labor with kits inc motor blades available for around $25.

Has anyone heard of the klutch g10k it doesn't look bad. Anyone know anything about them ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back