Buying a rental? Any Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never seen rental cars that have been reasonably priced. I know Enterprise Rental was selling 2008/2009 Aveos in 2012 for $13000 - pretty sure that's more than they were new; that is more than I paid for my 2011 Focus NEW.

The rental lot across the street is part of Budget / Thrifty and Avis I believe. They book through different agencies. Their cars are crazy overpriced! Friend of mine was trying to buy a 2009 Focus with 50 or 60K miles (in 2012) and it was significantly more than the car was when brand new.

I don't understand it. Sure, they can provide that the oil was changed maybe every 10 or 15000 miles ....

I even found "turduckin the renta-sentra" for sale, for $13K. This was the car with the bald tires (still has them), broken CVT, engine that sounded like it had worn out lifters, HVAC stuck on full ...

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Busy managers at Enterprise and Hertz have been known to simply reset the oil change light when it comes on so the next renter doesn't freak out about lights on the dash
15.gif

Returned a Chevy Cruze at the Philly airport one time with oil change minder on. Watched the receiving attendant reset it while I was getting my bags out the back and moved the car right into "make ready" lane for return to service.

I got in a rental car one time, and walked right back into the facility because I had a 1000 miles ahead of me and the oil change light was on. They gave me a new car.

For that kind of usage, I'd either go new in the $10-14k range, with an Accent, Versa, Cruze on closeout type car. Or just get a low miles private sale late 2000's Focus, Versa, Accent thing for $5-6k and run it. They should be cheap to own as there isn't too much to go wrong.
My Focus was bought as a cheap to run commuter with a timing chain, mtx, and its worked so far.

Last edited:
I was shopping around for rentals for when I get a little rust fixed on my Jeep. Since I am under 25, I have to pay literally 2x the normal renters amount. $350 for 2 weeks for a Kia something.

That said, I feel I would have to get my money's worth and beat the [censored] out of the car while I have it.

I wouldn't buy a rental. Ever.
grin.gif

*There is also a Seinfeld reference about this.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I was shopping around for rentals for when I get a little rust fixed on my Jeep. Since I am under 25, I have to pay literally 2x the normal renters amount. $350 for 2 weeks for a Kia something.

That said, I feel I would have to get my money's worth and beat the [censored] out of the car while I have it.

grin.gif

you'll beat the [censored] out of a rental, because you have to pay a high rate, because you're young. just because you're young,it doesn't mean that you have to act like an idiot.
ever hear of karma? maybe, while you're beating the [censored] out of it, it'll blow up, while you're in it.karma, and natural selection, at the same time.two birds with one stone.
have a good day.

A new 2015 Sonic LT is about $19K at the Chevy dealer. TRUECar estimates are about $15K new, so $9K is only $6K less than a new one.

Myself personally, I would avoid unless they come down to about $7K.

Youtube search "Rental Car Abuse" and you'll see why not to buy one.

Yes most don't go through that abuse but do you want to roll those dice?

Since I am under 25, I have to pay literally 2x the normal renters amount.

Hmm, maybe that's why is so expensive...

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
If all you're going to save is four or five grand, then buy something new. I think you'll find that the marginal cost is actually less than that.
None of the models you've mentioned are exactly flying off the lots at current fuel prices.
Try finding a few dealers that offer internet pricing and sending out some emails.
I think you'll be surprised how cheaply you could buy one of these models new, without the abuse that any rental car will have suffered.

If it is "only" fivegrand, you should send him a CHECK for the difference!

I apparently got under your skin a little.
That wasn't my intent.
I view allocable capital cost per mile or year of use as the primary metric in determining the economic viability of any automotive purchase.
If you can buy a model brand new for $4-5K more than a 40-50K car, then you're in exactly the same place in allocable cost.
In the case of the OP, who drives very few miles, he's still losing $2-3K in years of use.
The used model will also soon need tires and probably a good brake job, another $.5-1K that you wouldn't spend with a new car.
The cars he's looking at are pretty low-end and are heavily discounted now and will only get cheaper as '15 leftovers.
I do buy some cheap old crocks and get considerable use out of them, but a beater is only viable if you have a spare or two and are willing and able to do some work DIY.
A car bought new can be the most cost-effective choice if you buy it smart.
You just need to do the math and not listen to the myths that abound about new car purchases being a poor financial decision.

i have 5 2011 and 2012 chevy malibus i take care of at work. all are the 4 cylinder and all came from hertz in the 30-50k mileage range. we payed about 10k give or take a grand each. these cars are in fantasic shape, we have had them roughly 2 years now. for the price and how nice these are i wouldve bought one if i were in the market.

I was in sales and have purchased plenty of rentals. However, that was back when you could purchase them with under 36,000 miles on them. They never gave me any trouble and I drove over 30,000 miles a year at the time.

I would have some reservations about buying one with 50,000 miles on the clock!

Originally Posted By: yeti

grin.gif

you'll beat the [censored] out of a rental, because you have to pay a high rate, because you're young. just because you're young,it doesn't mean that you have to act like an idiot.
ever hear of karma? maybe, while you're beating the [censored] out of it, it'll blow up, while you're in it.karma, and natural selection, at the same time.two birds with one stone.
have a good day.

Did you even read what I said?

Originally Posted By: glock19

I'm guessing you didn't read either.

Anyways.. This is my point. The majority of people would feel this way because it isn't their car. Having to pay more because of being young would just add to it.

Originally Posted By: glock19

I'm guessing you didn't read either.

Anyways.. This is my point. The majority of people would feel this way because it isn't their car. Having to pay more because of being young would just add to it.

I read your post. You're missing my point. They charge young people more because they're more likely to wreck or abuse the car. By beating on the car you're just proving them right.

I wouldn't buy a rental car. Too many different people in and out of it all the time. Seat positions, mirror changes, just heavy wear.

I also consider it a very big negative to see a vehicle was leased on the car fax.

Find something that one person with some brains owned and just wants to upgrade out of.

Originally Posted By: mike7139
Hertz is selling a 2014 Sonic LT for 9k with 53k miles. They also have a few 2013 Ford Focus SE with 50k miles for 10k and a few 2014 Cruze LT's with just over 50k miles and selling for 11k. Are these good prices or am I better off spending 4k-5k more and getting a brand new car with zero miles such as a 2016 Corolla?

A nationwide search on CarMax reveils the lowest price Cruze is a 2011 LS with 77k miles for $10,599. Usually the rental companies keep the crème of the crop and auction the ones off that have issues.

Hertz is my favorite of all the rental car companies. Alamo, National and Enterprise are now owned by the same company, Enterprise Holdings.

edit: I don't see that Cruze still available on their inventory list.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude
I work with a guy that is in sales, he puts 30k miles a year on his cars and always buys old Enterprise cars with around 30k on them. He was buying Centuries, but moved on to Malibus. He changes the oil every 10k at Jiffy Lube
crazy2.gif
does nothing else to them and sells them around 150k because at that point they are too old (model years) for the car allowance reimbursement. Between the allowance and mileage, he said he makes money on the cars.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
A guy I work with that is in sales buys nothing but old Enterprise cars off rental, changes the oil every 10k at Jiffy Lube and looked at me like I had 2 heads when I asked about transmission and other maintenance. He said he always says no when they try to upsell him, and he trades his cars in at 200k with nothing but a few minor repairs along the way.

Same guy or different people?
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back