Project Fi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone using it? It's a pretty interesting concept. The pricing is right, at least for someone that doesn't use tons of data. Been thinking about trying it out but I hate to get rid of big red which has been pretty good. It looks like I could buy two Nexus 5X on payments, and service and still save $15-20/month over Verizon.

you should consider cricket if AT&T is good for your area.

Tmob has bad building penetration.. and sprint is getting much better recently but still not AT&T or verizon.

its 70$/month and AT&T towers.(for 2 phones)

that fully includes all taxes and fees

2.5GB 8mbit LTE data per line, unlimited talk/text
unlimited 256kbit data after 2.5GB/line is reached.

Might consider moto x pure edition for 400$(right now 30% jetcash for using jet.com clickthrough on motorola.com) or nexus 5x if you prefer nexus.

For another 2 hours the hte axon pro is 320$ on amazon as well. thats a snapdragon 810 + 4gb ram 32gb storage phone.

I like google fi, but data anxiety over $$$/usage and the fact that even combined tmob+spring dont equal at&t or verizon esp out in the boonies.

Last edited:
That axon has some great specs for $320. I like the new Nexus phones because they should have minimal bloat, fast updates, and suppose to work on any network. If I don't like Project Fi I can pay off the phones and go back to big red. We're rocking 3 year old Galaxy S3s. I figure it's only a matter of time before new phones will be required.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand

What's this 2.5GB? I use about 7/mo and don't watch movies. Wich there were a better option for me.

but we pay $117/mo for two smartphones...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

What's this 2.5GB? I use about 7/mo and don't watch movies. Wich there were a better option for me.

Cricket has other options but since the OP was considering Project fi where data is 10$ a GB I figured the basic package would work. They also are including Canada and Mexico for data soon.

for example 2 phones with 5GB/month each + unlimited throttled speed would be 90$

or 110$ for 2 phones with 10GB EACH.
that includes all fees and taxes

if you moved to project fi your bill would be...

40 + 10$/GB + taxes/fees of aprox 10%
or 128$~~aproximately

you can also set each phone for a different plan

one for 2.5GB and one for 5GB or 10GB etc.

Last edited:
MY current plan is pretty good with Verizon. Two lines talk text and 10GB data for $102/month total. Only problem is we only avg around 1GB of data a month. Dropping the data to 2-3GB would only save like $10 after it's all said and done since they've changed up the pricing and plans and we're grandfathered onto the older plan. Project Fi we're looking at $50/month plus tax.

Cricket has other options but since the OP was considering Project fi where data is 10$ a GB I figured the basic package would work. They also are including Canada and Mexico for data soon.

for example 2 phones with 5GB/month each + unlimited throttled speed would be 90$

or 110$ for 2 phones with 10GB EACH.
that includes all fees and taxes

if you moved to project fi your bill would be...

40 + 10$/GB + taxes/fees of aprox 10%
or 128$~~aproximately

you can also set each phone for a different plan

one for 2.5GB and one for 5GB or 10GB etc.

Thanks! Need to look into that!

Thing is, the subsidy for new phones are worth a lot, because S6 and 6S type phones are $$$ without. Amortize it over 24-30 months, and we will see.

Thanks!

I finally pulled the trigger on Fi and a couple Nexus 5Xs. We'll see how good this stuff works.

Since I ordered a week before black Friday they'll probably have a super sale.

Do you use 7GB or 0.7GB/month? The new Verizon Plan is great if you already own your phones. My wife/I share 3GB/unlimited text/talk on Verizon and pay $75/month with a work discount available at either of our employers.

We only use about 1-1.5GB/month.

I've been using Fi for a couple months and it works pretty good. The service isn't quite as good as Verizon but it does work at my wife's work which Verizon didn't. Of course Google discounted the phones $80 for black Friday. I called Google and they issued a credit with no problem.

So far so good. Total cost $45/month + tax for two phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back